Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,170 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a position in Millsboro next week and I was wondering how life in this area is? I currently live in DC and hear great things about the beaches in DE. I'm a male in my late 30's and single so I'm curious about a town commutable to Millsboro that has a good amount of singles, restaurants, nice town, etc. I'm from Cape Cod orginally so I do love being near the water. I'm completely lost when it comes to DE but it seems like a nice state and I'm pretty open to making a change from the city to a quieter area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
You can commute to Millsboro from any of the beach towns. Just like the Cape ( I owned a home in Brewster for a while and know the Cape well), it's busy in the summer, not so much November through March. Good restaurants are plentiful along the Delaware shore.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,141 times
OP,

While the median age for DE is about 35, the beach towns like Lewes and Rehoboth the average age is in the mid sixties. They are very active seniors and very involved with their communities, just don't be surprised by the sheer number of seniors in the beach towns.

You may find that the singles in your age group are involved in outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, running, biking, water sports etc. I started meeting many in your age group when I took up indoor rock climbing at Rise Fitness in Rehoboth. I guess what I am trying to say is that most people who live here take full advantage of the outdoor lifestyle that is available in southern DE. Plenty of places to eat and hang out at the end of the day. So, if you like the outdoor life style you will likely meet up with singles in your age group.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
The beaches are very nice in Delaware. You have to understand that these are resorts in the summer and small towns during the off-season. I would imagine it's pretty similar to the resort towns on the Cape. If you could envision yourself leaving DC for the Cape, then you might be ready for such a move. One difference between the Cape and Sussex County, however, is that southern Delaware is politically conservative, if that makes a difference. There's also not much in the way of culture or a single scene compared with DC. In short, it will be very different from DC, to say the least.

This is a pretty important lifestyle change for a single man in his late 30s. If you haven't been there, it's a short trip, so you need to drive over and poke around. The problem is if you go now, you'll get an entirely different feel of the area than in the off-season. Just imagine there are a few thousand people there compared with 10s of thousands who are there now.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:42 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,170 times
So I guess it's fair to say there aren't many single women in their 20's and 30's in the area?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
So I guess it's fair to say there aren't many single women in their 20's and 30's in the area?
These are small towns, so of course there are fewer single people. The church is often recommended as a place to make new friends.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Since the 19966 zip code covers a huge area I would not even estimate time to commute. The beach areas are the ones that ould offer something to do year around. Traffic is quite heavy during the summer and in the Millsboro area at certain times.If you are leasing rentals during the season can be quite expensive.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,909,619 times
If I was a single, younger person....I would not want to live in some of the smaller Sussex County towns (mine included). Now, you will find a thriving dating scene with younger people (under 35) in the Lewes/Rehoboth area along with plenty of nightlife. I lived in Lewes as a single person many years ago and there was plenty of inventory. However, remember that some of younger people may just be there for the summer or have a weekend home.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:51 AM

789 posts, read 1,094,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Come just down the road to OC/Berlin for single women. Otherwise its slim pickings or the 'Dewey crowd'. Sussex County is not a healthy dating pool for young straight folks; speaking from a plethora of disappointment.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,909,619 times
^^^ My 21-year-old son has said the same. He wound up getting a girlfriend from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: