U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM

10 posts, read 24,115 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are strongly considering moving to Lewes, DE from Arlington, VA within the next year. My work permits me to live anywhere and it is becoming more and more apparent to us that we do not *need* to live in the DC area. I am familiar with Lewes/RB/Bethany as I spent lots of time there as a youngster, and also have some friends/family in other parts of DE. We know that it is certainly not going to be like Arlington and that is fine, but the one question we have pertains to demographics. All of our experiences in DE have been from the perspective of an outside visitor and not a full-time resident. So, to the question... Is the Lewes area between Route 1 and the ocean, slanted very heavily towards people 55 and older, or do younger families actually live there? This is our one question. Yes, the stereotype is out there that that is the case, but I am looking for validation or refutal of it from the respected DE residents who comment on here regularly. We are mid-late 30s with two children under 5. We are wondering if there are other people in our age range living in that area and it is hard to gauge. To be more specific, we are looking at the newer developments off Gill's Neck Rd (Breakwater, Wolfe Pointe, etc). This is not to say that we are against living among our elders because that is certainly not the case. The larger concern is if we will be able to find people in that immediate area who are closer to our age and familial situation. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM

6,832 posts, read 7,759,083 times
Here is the age distribution in Lewes from the 2010 census: American FactFinder - Results *. It's interesting to note that the median age is 62.6. This compares with a median age of 33.4 in Arlington (http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk).

Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
I used to live east of route one in Lewes, and I still frequent the area. You will definitely find families with younger children in the developments you mentioned above along with a few others east of route one. However, it's accurate to assume that Lewes is mostly retirees, even more so than Rehoboth and Bethany.

My husband and I are also in our mid-late 30's, and we once considered moving back to Lewes. The people who live there are really nice--definitely older (for the most part), but it's a great place to raise a family. There's plenty to do and see, and it's safe for children. Hope this helps.....

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,027,153 times
Here's the scoop from city-data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Lewes-Delaware.html

My cousins daughter (mid 30's) and her family live in Lewes and are very active in the community. When we visited them this summer they told us all the activities that they and their kids did and it sounded like a wonderful, busy life!

This school site also has demographics - http://www.schooldigger.com/go/DE/di...70/search.aspx

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,791 times
My family is moving to Lewes next year. We are early 40s and have a 9 year old daughter. We had your concerns as well but decided to move forward anyway. We're moving into a new community (Senators) and expect 1/2 to be active retirees.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
I live a little inland from Lewes. Our area (LongNeck) is very seasonal with a high percentage of year around residents being Senior Citizens. My son who is now a college student moved here when he was 6 months old and has never wanted for friends or activities. He attended martial arts classes in a school in the Midway Shopping Center with loads of kids from the Lewes,Rehoboth,Millsboro area who certainly seemed able to find plenty to do with their time.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,859 times
There is no place that I'd rather be with my two kids, ages 11 and 13.
Love it here, and wish I did it sooner.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 AM

41 posts, read 123,566 times
I live in Hawkeseye off of Gillsneck and I can honestly say that that there are over 100 kids living in this community. It is a somewhat new community. I have two little ones under the age of 6 and it was very important for us to live in a place where there are children. We have an Easter Egg hunt, 4th of July parade, Pool activities for the kiddies. Most the kids here are under the age of 10 with parents that value community, family, friends first - not money! Drive thru and check out the number of swing sets. We LOVE the community. It is filled mostly with transplants like yourself.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,279 times
Default Hi

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if the younger families in this thread are still living in Lewes now, in 2014.

My husband and I are considering moving to Lewes withing the next couple of months, we live in Northern Virginia now, have two girls ( 4 and 8 ) and are in our mid thirties.

It looks like a lovely place to live, but i am concerned about moving the girls there.

how is everyone now, any regrets ? was it easy for the children?

thank you so much.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM

7,793 posts, read 10,461,416 times
It really depends upon your perspective. You are correct that the population is definitely an older one in this area. That said, even in my community in Rehoboth there are 108 homes of which about 65% are year round. Of those there are 6 families with two kids or more and in Feb. there will be two more. There are plenty of kids around in most none 55+ communities BUT, if you are used to blocks and blocks of kids, chances are you will not find that in this part of De. (Lewes-Rehoboth). As others have noted there are numerous activities for the kids to enjoy and the ones in this community are very active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware