U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM

72 posts, read 85,303 times
Default Toll Brothers Woodland vs Ryan homes La Grange

I work in Plymouth Meeting and wife works in Wilmington. For the kind of houses we like, we wont find it in PA unless we go into the interiors and we don't want to do that.

I currently commute from Newark, so I know my commute isn't great but if we choose either it does not add much to my commute.

There is a $100,000 difference between the two, but with Toll Brothers we would be in a good school district vs Ryan at La grange.

We don't have kidns yet so have a few years before we have that come into play but good school district will also hold the value of the homes and would be hopefully easy for re-sale if that arises.

Also,Woodlands community has a pool, community center etc which La grange is missing.

Anyone have any insights as to which would be a better community.

Can you live in Newark and opt for the choice option and send kids to Middletown schools?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-15-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM

6,651 posts, read 6,202,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
There is a $100,000 differene between the two, but with Toll Brothers we would be in a good school district vs Ryan at La grange.

We don't have kidns yet so have a few yesr before we have that come into play but good scholl district will also hold the value of the homes and would be hopefully easy for re-sale if that arises.

Also,Woodlands community has a pool, community center etc which La grange is missing.

Anyone have any insights as to which would be a better community.
I would look at how fast each community is selling. You can get an idea by looking at the sold homes in Zillow.com . My gut feeling is that the Toll Brothers houses are too expensive to sell quickly, whereas the Ryan Homes are priced moderately to sell to a larger market. I believe Toll Brothers markets a product with better finishes. I also believe that people will pay to be in a good school district. If you plan to be in the house until you have kids old enough for school, I would go with Toll Brothers. If you think you would move sooner (because of a job change), I would go with Ryan Home.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-15-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 AM

14 posts, read 11,769 times
Hello, I'd like to ask if there are any further opinions on Toll Brothers developments since this thread was posted? We are moving from CA to DE next month, and I am having a hard time finding a home that fits us. We are in our 30's and raising small children. We are completely foreign to the area, and would like to know if these homes are in fact being built still, and also if they are in a good neighborhood with good schools? Are there empty lots? Are they going fast? We are interested in the Toll Brothers Woodlands at St Georges. What should I be aware of when looking into a new home situation like this? How long would we expect to rent somewhere until the home is complete? Has anyone else done this? Any insight would be appreciated as this is a sudden move for us. We should be there in about a month. Thank you.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Also, why do new construction homes seem to good to be true? Should I just assume we should add on and extra 100K to the advertised price for upgrades? I don't want a stock kitchen, I want a pretty gourmet kitchen as shown in the model photos. I want to pick my flooring and cabinets if possible. Again, I would love to hear from anyone who has been down this road and could give me some pointers/warnings. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM

27 posts, read 55,453 times
I live in the Toll Brothers development you are talking about and love it. It is a wonderful community. There are still some empty lots I know. They do sometimes have brand new homes for sale, I am not sure if there are any like that right now or not. I lived in an apartment for about 9 months while my home was being built. I will be happy to help answer any questions you may have. My last home was new construction, as is this one of course. My first house was 30 years old, and I had to spend so much money replacing and fixing things. A brand new home has few to no problems, plus any problems that do come up are under warranty for a year, and there is a 10 year structural warranty. The clubhouse and pool is definitely a plus, and there are over 200 acres of woods I believe, which is really nice. I would say you can upgrade as much as you want. I did a bunch of upgrades, and love everything I did. The kitchen is one thing I upgraded as well. They have a gourmet kitchen option, and you can select your cabinets, everything to the knobs, etc. I would be happy to help give you advice.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Hi DE2009, Thank you very much for the info. 9 months seems like a fair time to wait. Glad everything went smoothly for you. I will check back here in a couple weeks after we get in town.

Can anyone tell me how this TollBrothers Bear area is different than Middletown? I am interested in new construction, however school districts are important to us too. It would be great if we could find new construction in a good school district that rates 8, 9, 10, at least for elementary/middle school. I do understand I may have to pay for private high school in DE.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM

173 posts, read 146,174 times
That area is in the Colonial school district, which doesn't rate as highly as the Appoquinimink school district. There are areas north of the canal that are in Appo -- parts of the Newark/Bear area -- where the feeder pattern schools score in the 8-10 range.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM

27 posts, read 55,453 times
For me, Middletown is too far away from Wilmington, etc. Bear is close to a lot of things. We are very close to the largest mall in Delaware, Christiana, closer to Wilmington, etc. Even if it's just 15 minutes each way (could be more depending on traffic), that is 30 minutes per day for commute that I don't want to spend in a car. Also, Middletown is a little more in the boonies to me. This location in Bear is great in relation to getting to restaurants, shopping, the University of Delaware area, etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 529 times
For me its very useful, I'll definitely gonna use this.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM

173 posts, read 146,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE2009 View Post
For me, Middletown is too far away from Wilmington, etc. Bear is close to a lot of things. We are very close to the largest mall in Delaware, Christiana, closer to Wilmington, etc. Even if it's just 15 minutes each way (could be more depending on traffic), that is 30 minutes per day for commute that I don't want to spend in a car. Also, Middletown is a little more in the boonies to me. This location in Bear is great in relation to getting to restaurants, shopping, the University of Delaware area, etc.
Which is why I love the best-of-both-worlds thing we have going on with the part of Appo north of the canal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware