Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I took the kids and went to a friends since we were in the evacuation zone. DH and many neighbors stayed. Talked to him this morning and sounds like the house survived. We lost power for about five hours. The only causality appears to be my rose tree. Not sure about the shingles yet though! I hope the driving restriction is lifted soon so I can go home!

I'm glad we dodged a bullet but so sad for those who didn't. The pics from the coasts and NYC are horrifying.

we are up in the northeast right now, & yesterday was so stressful!
the winds were so strong i thought for sure a tree might fall onto our
home! luckily we survived, and we only lost power for a few seconds
3 times, so we were able to stay online, keep our lights on, have food to etc, we feel
so lucky.
a rose bush in our yard got damaged to, and a small tree limb fell near
our front door, but nothing really damaged but a lilac bush we just planted lost
ALL its leaves from the super strong winds.
they said the winds gusted up to 70 mph in our state.
whew! we lucked out.
i keep watching weather channel & see Nj shore & NYC looking really
devastated by this storm....
keeping my fingers crossed people w/out power & those whose homes were damaged or destroyed survive ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Up here in the very tippy top of the State, north of the City of Wilmington proper, Sandy was close to being a non-event. Truly the most dramatic thing about it was the unexpected all-day driving ban on Monday, which for northern New Castle Co. didn't seem justified by the mildly rainy and not all that windy weather conditions. There were evidently a few very localised power outages and a very few trees down (haven't seen any downed trees myself, but understand a big tree came down next to Christ Church, Christiana Hundred). Steady strong wind from about midnight into sometime in the wee hours Tues morning. Rain around here was often steady but never particularly dramatic at any one time. I'm not aware of any flooding here on the Piedmont, though I'm sure the Brandywine must have overflowed its banks on the PA side of the state line where the banks are extremely shallow and the road just above the river bank.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Here is a link to a Cape Gazette article about the storm in Lewes
Lewes survives Sandy
You may find it interesting that the fire company boat could not rescue one man and they got one of the boats used to go out and put pilots on in coming ships to rescue this man from his house.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 AM

70 posts, read 138,094 times
I'm glad to see all of you fared well during the storm.
Here on Long Island the nightmare continues. I just had power restored last night! 9 1/2 days with no electric and heat.Election Day was so cold, even with the fireplace running it was 48 degrees INSIDE of the house. Hubby and I consider ourselves lucky, no tree or water damage yet approx 6 co-workers have lost everything, not to mention the friends that have extensive damage and are still without power. I worked an extra shift yesterday to give one of them the chance to regroup before the Nor'easter hit. I now have a few inches of snow outside my doorstep.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
That's horrible, Errin1. I am so sorry to hear this--and over nine days without power?? Yikes. I feel so awful for everyone affected up in NJ and NY along with other surrounding states. I cannot even imagine the grief they must be experiencing. You and your friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

We really dodged a bullet here, although I have been told some people right at the beach had flooded homes and cars. My parents in Virginia had three out of their four cars flooded out and declared totaled, and they are living in a musty, damp house that had a foot of water on their bottom floor. I wish that I could do more to help everyone .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware