Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
James these type of things happened long before you moved here. Just a note BaySide BarBQ is closing Sat and will have 1/2 priced drinks.
Yeah I know, you guys and your damn noreasters down here, those are rough storms. My in laws lost their house to noreasters in '98, back to back storms.

Anyway The Weather channel has a woman in Rehoboth Beach and she just hammered the boardwalk and the state for what she see's as a lack of preparation. Her comments being, "doesn't anyone here realize this storm is much, much worse than Irene, and has the potential of bringing winds up to 80 mph for 2-3 days, but nothing's even boarded up yet". I hope all of our beach towns are ready for this storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Anyway The Weather channel has a woman in Rehoboth Beach and she just hammered the boardwalk and the state for what she see's as a lack of preparation. Her comments being, "doesn't anyone here realize this storm is much, much worse than Irene, and has the potential of bringing winds up to 80 mph for 2-3 days, but nothing's even boarded up yet". I hope all of our beach towns are ready for this storm.
I'm a big fan of preparing for a storm but that woman sounds like a drama queen over pushing the panic button so she can get on tv.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm a big fan of preparing for a storm but that woman sounds like a drama queen over pushing the panic button so she can get on tv.
I agree, Caladium!
Do beach communities really need to be told what their job is? Of course not! They live the life and are accustomed to preparing for all types of weather scenerios.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM

296 posts, read 638,466 times
if this state is so great with prepardness why do i hear 3 or more times a day every day emergency sirens? I asked some people what was up with that and some didnt even realize they went off because its happened for so long others have no idea why they go off and a couple said it was a malfunction of the siren that nobody has bothered fixing. alittle scary knowing that the one big signal to the people is ignored because how do we know if something bad is happening if the sirens go off all the time? kind of reminds me of the time machine and the morlocks.......just saying.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Where are you hearing emergency sirens? I'm in central Kent County and don't hear sirens.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 PM

For those interested, Delaware Electric Cooperative is sharing the briefing they get from the National Weather Service with those who follow them on Facebook. This is a link to that briefing.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/briefing...t_briefing.pdf

As a side note, the amount information available to me here in Delaware is FAR more than we ever had access to in New York.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 PM

296 posts, read 638,466 times
whole area around forrest avenue and mifflin road...schutte park...village of westover...days inn on dupont.. they went off again twice this morning. i know for a fact theres a siren across the street of that mcdonalds on forrest ave and have been right by it when it went off. noone seemed to care.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I agree, Caladium!
Do beach communities really need to be told what their job is? Of course not! They live the life and are accustomed to preparing for all types of weather scenerios.
Absolutely. We did our preps yesterday, and only it took an hour or so. There is still plenty of time. I completely agree with stores staying open as long as they can and then boarding up later today or even tomorrow morning--they need to do all the business they can to stay alive and this is an important weekend for doing business.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:01 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
For those interested, Delaware Electric Cooperative is sharing the briefing they get from the National Weather Service with those who follow them on Facebook. This is a link to that briefing.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/briefing...t_briefing.pdf

As a side note, the amount information available to me here in Delaware is FAR more than we ever had access to in New York.
For those with Delmarva Power, here's their link with an "outage map" if and when that should occur.

Delmarva Power Preparing for Potentially Devastating Hurricane - Delmarva Power

Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
For those with Delmarva Power, here's their link with an "outage map" if and when that should occur.

Delmarva Power Preparing for Potentially Devastating Hurricane - Delmarva Power
That's a great idea, RDLR. Here's one for the Delaware Electric Cooperative members:

Outage Map | Delaware Electric Cooperative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware