U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,195 times
Question Iterested in Moving to South Delaware

I am seeking information and opinions about life in Central or South Delaware. My mother and stepfather are in their early 60's. They moved to Bradenton Florida in 2003 and are distressed and dismayed at the out of control crime, traffic, excessive growth, heat, humidity and hurricanes, along with skyrocketing taxes and insurance that has become out of reach for most Floridians. They though they could take an early retirement, but the high cost of living down there has not cut into their retirement fund. They are originally from Boston but would like to move someplace a little quieter along the atlantic coast, yet within a full day's drive back to New England to visit family without the hassle of flying.
They would like some input as to whether or not a move to the Dover area, Milford, Georgetown, Milton or a nice community along the routes 113 or 1 corridor might make a difference. They would need to still work somewhat so jobs are important, and also a community that offers bus service around town as my step father cannot drive due to poor vision. They need a place that is safe for older adults, with low crime, good shopping, lower taxes and affordable housing. Anybody in Delaware have any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

902 posts, read 2,387,777 times
I am very new to DE, but I understand there are TONS of opportunities (housing and otherwise) for people your parents' age. We are in Central Kent Co (just south of Dover) and hear lots about it.

Check a few of the other threads on this board; you will find more info that way faster than any other way. I'm sure some of the "older" crowd will post soon, but that is my initial suggestion. Good luck in your search; my folks who are mid-70's are looking in DE for next year. But they will be coming here from NC, not FL.

Mary

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM

15,459 posts, read 7,271,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Najjar View Post
I day's drive back to New England to visit family without the hassle of flying.
They would like some input as to whether or not a move to the Dover area, Milford, Georgetown, Milton or a nice community along the routes 113 or 1 corridor might make a difference. They would need to still work somewhat so jobs are important, and also a community that offers bus service around town as my step father cannot drive due to poor vision. They need a place that is safe for older adults, with low crime, good shopping, lower taxes and affordable housing. Anybody in Delaware have any suggestions?

I Louis...........There are a ton of 55+ communities in Central De. I would recommend typing 55+ communities in De on google. You will get a list.
It is cheaper living in DE and as far as crime goes, I feel very safe. I come from Philly and the crime there is through the roof.
We live in a very nice community called Southern Meadows. Our community does not have a shuttle but there is paratransit.
Also,
Modern Maturity provides service. Not sure exactly, you would have to call.

Other communities may have. There are some really nice ones springing up in Smyrna
Quite of few people on this board have visited and have great information to report.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

41 posts, read 62,183 times
Dont move to Persimmion Park Place, trash on the streets, crime, and a home owners association that is a joke, you pay 25$ a month for nothing, you have been warned.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:12 PM

957 posts, read 2,231,165 times
If jobs are important, you may want to look further north. Sussex Co is mostly minimum wage retail or chicken plant jobs, also close to minimum wage. This is a nice place to retire but can be pretty depressing if you want to make decent living.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,685 times
I agree Sussex County is a nice place to retire. There are many retirees here from New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland who were pushed out of their home states by the outrageous property taxes. I have spoken to many of them and aside from the traffic in the summertime (only on Saturdays is it anywhere near as bad as the Washington beltway) which people complain about for lack of anything else to whine about. There is not much to dislike if you are a retired senior. If you are under 55 though, I would say, think twice unless you want to wait tables, bartend, clean houses, or sell real estate.

Last edited by Randi Smith; 05-20-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: minor change

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 PM

957 posts, read 2,231,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi Smith View Post
If you are under 55 though, I would say, think twice unless you want to wait tables, bartend, clean houses, or sell real estate.
Probably make more money waiting tables than selling real estate. Lots and lots and LOTS of starving real estate agents here. You need to be on top of your game to make it in real estate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware