Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM

36 posts, read 104,060 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - I just posted a few days ago on the NY forum because it looked like my husband was transferring there and we were interested in upstate. We just found out yesterday that it looks like they are going to transfer him to Herndon VA instead. The thing about it is - my husband works from home and will only have to go to the office 1 or 2 times per month.

So if you were looking for a safe and charming small town within 2-3 hours of Herndon, where would you live? We are open to other states as well such as PA and MD. We are also looking at our options in Virginia but some suggested that we look into DE too. We would like to be within 8 hours of upstate NY, but we are flexible on that.

As far as town size, something 25K and below would be great, but we are flexible.

I really appreciate any suggestions given - we are native west coasters and now that we are considering living in multiple states because of their close proximity to each other, its become pretty overwhelming from when we were just looking at one state.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confetticake View Post
So if you were looking for a safe and charming small town within 2-3 hours of Herndon, where would you live?
I would live in Lewes, DE. The commute time is just under 3 hours to Herndon, but be aware of possible bridge backups in the summer. There's a discussion of Lewes and other towns here: Middletown vs. Magnolia vs. Lewes

Delaware has the advantage of lower taxes than Maryland. The taxes are probably also lower than in PA or VA.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would live in Lewes, DE. The commute time is just under 3 hours to Herndon, but be aware of possible bridge backups in the summer. There's a discussion of Lewes and other towns here: Middletown vs. Magnolia vs. Lewes

Delaware has the advantage of lower taxes than Maryland. The taxes are probably also lower than in PA or VA.
goldenage is right on there.I would say anywhere in Sussex County De east of US113. Other towns would include Milton, Millsboro and Harbison.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM

84 posts, read 206,318 times
Driving to Herndon, even a few times a week, from Delaware might be a little miserable. It's *typically* under 3 hours from southern Delware, however, the traffic of the capital beltway can make commutes much, MUCH longer (i had coworkers who would travel 25 miles and it would take an hour on a good day...and if it snows, forget it, 13 hours during our big snow storm a few years ago to travel those same 25 miles).

I have family that lives in Herndon, and while it is doable in a day, it's not fun. I also used to live in Rockville, MD (about 20 minutes north of DC) so I know the area traffic well. My husband and I just travelled back to that area for the holidays..and I'm still waiting for my blood pressure to drop again. It's just unbelievable the idiots on the road in the DC metro area.

That being said....if he doesn't want the commutes to turn into 5 hour commutes you may want to look into closer areas. Frederick county MD is a much less urban style area and significatly closer to Herndon-not sure the distance to Upstate NY but you can hop on 81 easily from there as well. In fact, if you live far enough west you could just hop on Rt 15 south to Leesburg and take Rt 7 to Herndon. Or live in Northwest VA. I just know that I couldn't handle a commute like that, even on just a weekly basis.

However, if taxes and home prices are a concern, then Delware is definitely much less expensive than VA or MD. Another suggestion is WV. I know it sounds rural (and it is) but there are some places that are cute. I have a very good friend who lives in Martinsburg, and it is about a mile from 81 so you can zip up to NY quick.

Good Luck on what you decide to do!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
Driving to Herndon, even a few times a week, from Delaware might be a little miserable. It's *typically* under 3 hours from southern Delware, however, the traffic of the capital beltway can make commutes much, MUCH longer (i had coworkers who would travel 25 miles and it would take an hour on a good day...and if it snows, forget it, 13 hours during our big snow storm a few years ago to travel those same 25 miles).

I have family that lives in Herndon, and while it is doable in a day, it's not fun. I also used to live in Rockville, MD (about 20 minutes north of DC) so I know the area traffic well. My husband and I just travelled back to that area for the holidays..and I'm still waiting for my blood pressure to drop again. It's just unbelievable the idiots on the road in the DC metro area.

That being said....if he doesn't want the commutes to turn into 5 hour commutes you may want to look into closer areas. Frederick county MD is a much less urban style area and significatly closer to Herndon-not sure the distance to Upstate NY but you can hop on 81 easily from there as well. In fact, if you live far enough west you could just hop on Rt 15 south to Leesburg and take Rt 7 to Herndon. Or live in Northwest VA. I just know that I couldn't handle a commute like that, even on just a weekly basis.

However, if taxes and home prices are a concern, then Delware is definitely much less expensive than VA or MD. Another suggestion is WV. I know it sounds rural (and it is) but there are some places that are cute. I have a very good friend who lives in Martinsburg, and it is about a mile from 81 so you can zip up to NY quick.

I was going to say WV and in particular, the Eastern Panhandle. Places like Martinsburg, Shepherdstown and Charles Town may work.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post

The OP said that they would travel once or twice PER MONTH which makes the commute a completely different factor. I have a retiree co-worker that works part time in Fairfax County, VA (as more of a functional advisor) he comes in about 3 times a month and lives in Williamsburg, VA (about 2.5 hours away). He has a sister in the area and stays the night if necessary to avoid rush hour. I would recommend the OP knows that a back up plan should be in order should they be needed for, say, a 9am meeting (hotel?).

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM

84 posts, read 206,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
The OP said that they would travel once or twice PER MONTH which makes the commute a completely different factor. I have a retiree co-worker that works part time in Fairfax County, VA (as more of a functional advisor) he comes in about 3 times a month and lives in Williamsburg, VA (about 2.5 hours away). He has a sister in the area and stays the night if necessary to avoid rush hour. I would recommend the OP knows that a back up plan should be in order should they be needed for, say, a 9am meeting (hotel?).
Misread, my bad. Thanks for the caps and the bold to point that out.

In my opinion, I'd rather live in western VA or WV so I could hit Herndon on the west side and not worry about driving around the Beltway. I prefer to never drive on the beltway but since my job is in Dover, and my family lives in Rockville, Ellicott City and Herndon I am forced to travel to that area. And I want to stab my eyes out everytime I hit the greater DC area, therefore, I still believe getting to Herndon from the west is much more desirable commute if you have the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware