U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

Hello all, i am a small town single mom from the south west (NM) and was thinking about moving to New Castle (the town not the county). When i say small town i live in a town of 200 people. Im a little scared to live in such a big city. Can anyone give me any good or bad reasons to move there. There are no jobs here and no opportunities for my child. So what do you think- good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM

658 posts, read 585,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000mountain View Post
Hello all, i am a small town single mom from the south west (NM) and was thinking about moving to New Castle (the town not the county). When i say small town i live in a town of 200 people. Im a little scared to live in such a big city. Can anyone give me any good or bad reasons to move there. There are no jobs here and no opportunities for my child. So what do you think- good idea?
The good:
New Castle has many good areas and pretty good opportunities. I work in New Castle as a matter of fact. There are many Operations centers for major financial companies in the area which employ thousands. The biggest city in the state (Wilmington) is 15 to 20 minutes from New Castle, and provides employment opportunities for many. Many large companies (including Amazon) are expanding in the area. Philadelphia is also at a driving distance (40 minutes), which provides additional opportunities.

The state has very low sales and property taxes and home prices are extremely cheap in my opinion. I wouldn't personally live in New Castle, but that boils down to your needs as well as your housing budget. I live in Wilmington Pike Creek and rent a town home for a reasonable price. There are also some good schools, especially in North. The state is very family oriented. Delaware is an excellent state to live and work in.

The bad:
There are many bad areas, including in New Castle. The schools in New Castle aren't the best. You have to be selective on where you move. The better choices are in Middletown, Some places in Newark, North Newark, Hockessin, North Wilmington/Pike Creek/Greenville.

My 2 cents, hope this helps.

Last edited by SarasotaBound1; 12-30-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
Thank you for the reply. I would have rent an apartment in the Wilmington Manor part of New Castle. I have been a stay at home mom most of my life (divorced ) so looking for a decent paying job is also on my list of needs. Was wondering if i could find a decent paying job there. would like to get a job with one of the big companies (citi bank, discover ect) but my education is limited to high school and some college. my kid only has 2 years of high school left so he would be going to Willam Penn. Is this a good high school? I worry most about finding a job. would you mind telling me what you do in New Castle?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM

658 posts, read 585,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000mountain View Post
Thank you for the reply. I would have rent an apartment in the Wilmington Manor part of New Castle. I have been a stay at home mom most of my life (divorced ) so looking for a decent paying job is also on my list of needs. Was wondering if i could find a decent paying job there. would like to get a job with one of the big companies (citi bank, discover ect) but my education is limited to high school and some college. my kid only has 2 years of high school left so he would be going to Willam Penn. Is this a good high school? I worry most about finding a job. would you mind telling me what you do in New Castle?
I'm a bit reluctant to give away some personal info on these boards, but yes, you should be able to find a job at the companies you mentioned with your education. I would try applying and see what happens. I can't comment much on William Penn High as I don't know anyone attending, but parents in the area have given a pretty decent rating in greatschools, although for some reason, the typical 1 - 10 greatschool rating is not listed for this one.

Penn (William) High School - New Castle, Delaware - DE - School overview

Good luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware