U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,445,934 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I'm interested in moving to Wilmington, DE and I was researching trying to see what fun things there are to do (beyond clubs and bars). Outdoorsy activities, art museums, boating, work out facilities, etc. So far the area seems to be fairly interesting with a lot to do and the diversity I love seems to be there (on paper).

I have yet to visit but I was wondering how transportation is, what the cost of living was like, etc. Anyone have anything they can share with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,324,048 times
Since I live in the burbs of Wilmington I feel I ought to be able to provide you some insight, but I find it difficult because I don't know what your basis for comparison might be. As to cost of living, Delaware has no sales tax and a rather moderate state income tax. If you live in the City of Wilmington itself, you also pay a small city income tax that among other things funds your city services like rubbish pickup. As to the cost of things generally, cost of service calls from people like plumbers, rent and real estate prices, etc,, I would say that northern Delaware is a relatively pricey place to live, apart from some definitely sketchy areas. As to transportation, I assume you are talking of public transport. There are buses, but I don't think public transport is exactly brilliant here. I don't make use of it, however. If you could focus your questions a bit more specifically, I think people could be of more help.

I should add that property taxes in DE are quite low, if you were looking to buy a house.

Last edited by doctorjef; 12-31-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM

658 posts, read 585,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm interested in moving to Wilmington, DE and I was researching trying to see what fun things there are to do (beyond clubs and bars). Outdoorsy activities, art museums, boating, work out facilities, etc. So far the area seems to be fairly interesting with a lot to do and the diversity I love seems to be there (on paper).

I have yet to visit but I was wondering how transportation is, what the cost of living was like, etc. Anyone have anything they can share with me?
If you are into a city type of living with younger more hip community, I'd suggest Trolley Square Wilmington.

You are basically in the city, everything is a walk away, yet Trolley Square is eclectic, safe, with tons to do all year around. It is a bit pricey for Wilmington. I googled something in the neighborhood and got the following prices.

1 Bedroom$808 - $987
2 Bedrooms$1,200 - $1,500
3 Bedrooms$1,539

If you are looking for something a bit away from the City, good for raising a family, Greenville, Hockessin, Prike Creek, North Newark are all good options. You can actually get something cheaper than Trolley Square in Pike Creek.

I would say that Wilmington is on the cheaper side compared to other major cities and this is mostly based on home and rental prices.

Good luck in your move.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Part of the problem here is that we don't know anything about the OP's demographic. Agree with what is said about Trolley if you are young and either single or a young couple. However, I don't know if that's the case. Apart from that, I truly don't think if you are young and single that Wilmington is exactly the most dynamic place to move. I like it fine and there are plenty of things here and in Delaware as a whole, as well as good proximity to other population centres. However, I was over 50 when we moved here and that is quite different from being in one's twenties and single.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM

658 posts, read 585,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Part of the problem here is that we don't know anything about the OP's demographic. Agree with what is said about Trolley if you are young and either single or a young couple. However, I don't know if that's the case. Apart from that, I truly don't think if you are young and single that Wilmington is exactly the most dynamic place to move. I like it fine and there are plenty of things here and in Delaware as a whole, as well as good proximity to other population centres. However, I was over 50 when we moved here and that is quite different from being in one's twenties and single.
I agree that Delaware is probably not the place to move if you are into the scene. Other than the University area, it's not anything like NYC or Philadelphia.

But Delaware is definitely a family friendly state which is the reason I love it. Coming from North Jersey, my kids love all the space and the schools.

But agree, demographics would help determine best location fit.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM

One of the points I always try to make is that since DE is so small, one is best advised to think of the resources offered by the entire State, rather than just the community where one is living. If you live in Wilmington or Newark, you should be thinking of taking advantage of what Lewes, Rehoboth and Dewey have to offer, for example. Other places like Annapolis, Baltimore, the MD Eastern Shore, DC, Philly, and NYC are all relatively close. A lot depends on your willingness to drive, esp. on I-95 and in urban freeway traffic, or alternatively your willingness to pay fare for rail journeys. Driving throughout DE, the Eastern Shore, and Annapolis are all easy propositions, in any case.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,281,412 times
Well, Delaware is getting a little more of a "scene", which it sounds like the OP has found in his research. No, nothing like Philadelphia, but there's an arthouse movie theater downtown, a lot of new development on lower Market street including a beautiful new music venue, a few people putting on DIY shows here and there (like at the Chris White gallery). It's not quite fair to say it's not for the young and single. Plus, depending on where you settle, you could be as close as a 35 minute drive to Philadelphia.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,281,412 times
Cost of living is far less than in surrounding cities. Transportation is pretty meh. There's an Amtrack station by the riverfront, and also a Greyhound station. There were cheap "Chinatown-esque" busses to New York, but I think they got shut down this year. There's a bus system (which I haven't used in a while, but as far as I can tell is reliable). Some of the busses have been tarted up to look like trolleys. No subway, obviously.

As you've probably found, there are a lot of great state parks in northern Delaware. The largest one in the state, with tens of thousands of acres of biking and hiking trails, is 25 minutes or so south of the city and west of Newark - White Clay Creek State Park. Every trail feels a little different, too, so it's nice to have so many available there. There is a canoeing / kayaking club for young-ish adults who traverse the Brandywine River. Brandywine Creek State Park, just northwest of the city, has some great trails, too. Carousel Park is a great, sprawling county park in Pike Creek, to the southwest of the city, and it has a big dog park. It is also home to horse stables, so you can walk around and say hi to the horses here and there.

The Delaware Art Museum is, you know, no Philadelphia Museum of Art (can you tell I spend a lot of time in Philly?), but they do fun things like nights where they bring in a DJ, wine tastings, and an open bar, or date night clay classes. There are, besides that, a lot of museum/estates in the Brandywine Valley area. Brandywine River Museum is a great, small museum which houses a lot of Andrew Wyeth paintings (also there's a nice little river trail running next to the museum). There's the Winterthur estate, Longwood Gardens (one of the best conservatories in the country), Hagley Museum (lots on Delaware history, as it was the original settlement of the DuPont family, who built up Wilmington from nothing).

Touring shows are held at the Grand Opera House, the Baby Grand, World Cafe Live at the Queen Theatre (or "the Queen"), the Arden Gild Hall (just north of the city), and sometimes nearby Kennett Square gets a good show in their venue called The Kennett Flash. The DuPont Theatre hosts Broadway shows and interesting guest speakers.

It's not Philly or New York. But it sounds like you know that already. If you can deal with that, it's actually a pretty great place to live, and the big cities are close at hand. Personally, I've been here all my life except for college in nearby Baltimore, and I'm ready to make a change to a bigger city. But I can't say I've been unhappy here.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,574 times
Default Wilmington

I just moved her last June and absolutely love it. If you are looking to be close to the train station, lower Market Street, and Riverfront Wilmington I would suggest looking into The Residences community. It is the best of all the worlds. Check out Riverfront Wilmington's website as well to see all the fun things to do. This area is just a $10 cab ride to Trolley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware