U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
For someone who just "stumbled" across this thread..

What's the difference between state and otherwise owned stores..?
In PA it is the state that sells liquor & wine - you buy from them and if you are an everyday individual consumer you go to a "wine & spirits" store .... not open on sundays, not open late, not necessarily all that convienant of a location, not all that great of a selection, they do train their employees on wine to make them knowledgeable, but their storage is pretty poor

For beer you can buy from a distributor/package store by the case or you can buy individuals or 6 packs from a bar, deli or other such licensed establishment .... these stores are privately held and still subject to blue laws

There is some nuance there - but on the broad sense that is how you buy beer & liquor in PA. It tends to be expensive.

In DE the state doesn't own the stores, although they do restrict sales to "liquor stores". When living in PA we would frequently go to DE to buy booze.

In states like AZ, where I now live, grocery stores, convenience stores, liquor stores as well as the big stores like BevMo and Total Wine sell beer, wine & spirits 7 days a week ........ it's nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,127,550 times
Don't forget PA's ludicrous wine kiosks! Are they all gone now?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM

421 posts, read 710,253 times
A few PA wine/spirits stores are open Sundays, but only the newer, bigger ones which often were built to replace two at at time. The crowds at these stores are ridiculous and the worst part is the parking. Very few of these stores are actually in shopping centers. Most states you can at least find a liquor store next to a grocery store but those are scarce in PA.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM

12,617 posts, read 28,095,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
A few PA wine/spirits stores are open Sundays, but only the newer, bigger ones which often were built to replace two at at time. The crowds at these stores are ridiculous and the worst part is the parking. Very few of these stores are actually in shopping centers. Most states you can at least find a liquor store next to a grocery store but those are scarce in PA.
I don't actually go to liquor stores often since I don't drink, but I have to comment here. In my area of PA, the only liquor store around me is in a shopping center, next to a grocery store.

There is a thread in the main PA forum that is routinely bumped up to complain about the liquor stores in PA. I guess they are weird, but having lived in 5 states (including DE) every state has some strange laws and unless you are shopping at those stores on a daily basis, you just get used to it, don't you?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM

388 posts, read 852,655 times
Yes, you do get used to it out of necessity but it doesn't make it right. I was born and raised in PA and early civics classes in school touted Blue Laws and the antiquated state store system as our heritage. Unless things have changed since I left 12 years ago, in addition to poor service in the state stores, the people working there were not permitted to make suggestions or to offer advice on your purchases - they were there to strictly sell and not give advice.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,318,057 times
The only thing of which that's a state heritage is a failed programme of national prohibition. Pathetic.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM

593 posts, read 939,908 times
I know in the Poconos there are some supermarkets that sell beer on Sundays. The rule being they sell prepared food in a certain area w/tables to sit so it's classified as a eatery, restaurant. However, for the most part, the lame PA liquor laws rule. Since I travel through NJ, I usually pick up my spirits there(better selection by a mile). When I lived in DE, I used to pick up beer, liquor, etc. for my friends in PA since I used to work there. PA's tired liquor laws are for the birds. The OP is delusional!!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Delusional, eh? While I am very disappointed that stores of the Total Wine vein are shut out of Pennsylvania, consider this. I made a list of 20 liquor stores in the Wilmington area:

1. Total Wine Claymont... OUTSTANDING

2. Total Wine Pike Creek/Prices Corner... OUTSTANDING

3. Wine & Spirit Company Greenville... OUTSTANDING

4. J's Liquors (BJ's) New Castle... OUTSTANDING

5. Independence Mall liquor store (I forget the name)... OUTSTANDING

6. F&N Wine & Spirits (next to Acme on Naamans)... OUTSTANDING

7. Branmar Liquors (across the parking lot from Super Fresh at Marsh/Silverside)... OUTSTANDING

8. Tri-State Mall liquor store (I forget the name)... OUTSTANDING

9. yet another liquor store on Naamans (I forget the name)... OUTSTANDING

10. liquor store in Newark next to Super Fresh (I forget the name)... OUTSTANDING

BUT...

1. liquor store next to Wawa at 202 and Naamans... AWFUL

2. liquor store in Happy Harry's/Walgreens plaza near Fairfax Acme... AWFUL

3. liquor store on 202 near McDonald's... AWFUL

4. another liquor store on 202 near McDonald's... AWFUL

5. liquor store on 202 south of 95... AWFUL

6. liquor store on Philadelphia Pike next to Forman Mills... AWFUL

7. liquor store in New Castle next to Pep Boys... AWFUL

8. liquor store in New Castle in the Big Lots/Save-A-Lot parking lot... AWFUL

9. liquor store next to Tobacco Village on 202 at Silverside (near Chuck E Cheese's/Dollar Tree)... AWFUL

10. liquor store between Home Depot and Dollar Tree/Deal$ on Miller Road (visible from 95)... AWFUL

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM

593 posts, read 939,908 times
^^^You could file those 2 lists under "6 of one thing, half a dozen of another." When I lived in DE, I used to go to Total Wine in Claymont. Excellent!!! There are good and bad choices in PA as well. As a whole, if I was picking btw the 2, DE liquor laws are much more consumer friendly. Didn't even know they relaxed the laws for Sunday openings. That's even better

Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 AM

But do you get my point yet? While specialty liquor store chains such as Total Wine are magnificent for towns that have room for their big stores, areas with less retail space suffer because seedy liquor stores pop up in them. If gas stations, convenience stores, drugstores, etc could sell alcohol, they would have higher standards than the seedy liquor stores. Also, in poorer areas with a decent amount of retail space but without the demographics to support chains like Total Wine with all their more expensive products, supermarkets and Walmart/Kmart type stores could sell liquor, keeping out the seedy liquor stores from such areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or