U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,793,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
But do you get my point yet? While specialty liquor store chains such as Total Wine are magnificent for towns that have room for their big stores, areas with less retail space suffer because seedy liquor stores pop up in them. If gas stations, convenience stores, drugstores, etc could sell alcohol, they would have higher standards than the seedy liquor stores. Also, in poorer areas with a decent amount of retail space but without the demographics to support chains like Total Wine with all their more expensive products, supermarkets and Walmart/Kmart type stores could sell liquor, keeping out the seedy liquor stores from such areas.
I would much rather see a licensed "seedy liquor store" selling the booz than a gas station where someone can fill up the tank buy 2 six packs of cold ones and drive off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM

7,362 posts, read 10,801,819 times
Y'all must be talking about "above the ditch".

In Kent and Sussex Counties, there are some small liquor stores, well maintained, friendlly and clean. Then there are some massive warehouse liquor stores that have huge inventories. Don't know about "seedy" down here.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 PM

6,859 posts, read 7,806,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I would much rather see a licensed "seedy liquor store" selling the booz than a gas station where someone can fill up the tank buy 2 six packs of cold ones and drive off.
Agree.

I have no idea what this OP is complaining about (and why they chose to bump a tired thread). I've seen my share of "seedy" state stores in PA. In a market economy, businesses that can't compete (for whatever reason) don't stay open. Those that offer customers what they want - do. That is, unless they are in PA where the customer has no choice but the drab and price-controlled state stores. I am one of the lucky Pennsylvanians who lives near the DE line.

If the OP takes issue with my views, s/he can save their breath.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM

421 posts, read 710,824 times
I have a question: while I realize the liquor laws in DE (and NJ) are less strict than those in PA, why is it illegal for supermarkets and drugstores to sell alcohol in DE and NJ? California and even a lot of the conservative Southern states don't require alcohol to be sold in a designated liquor store. Beer and wine can be found almost anywhere in many states, but spirits are restricted to liquor stores, albeit not state-owned ones. But in some states like NY, beer is everywhere but not wine. I was in North Carolina recently and while I would hate to live there, I felt a sense of freedom seeing a huge beer/wine section at a Target! And in California, despite all its high taxes and strict laws concerning environmental protection, all three types of alcohol were everywhere.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I have a question: while I realize the liquor laws in DE (and NJ) are less strict than those in PA, why is it illegal for supermarkets and drugstores to sell alcohol in DE and NJ? California and even a lot of the conservative Southern states don't require alcohol to be sold in a designated liquor store. Beer and wine can be found almost anywhere in many states, but spirits are restricted to liquor stores, albeit not state-owned ones. But in some states like NY, beer is everywhere but not wine. I was in North Carolina recently and while I would hate to live there, I felt a sense of freedom seeing a huge beer/wine section at a Target! And in California, despite all its high taxes and strict laws concerning environmental protection, all three types of alcohol were everywhere.
Why is it legal in some states to smoke marijuana but not in others? Why is abortion more closely regulated in some states than others? Why do some states require background checks for handguns while others don't? Why do some states charge sales tax on groceries but others don't? Why is gay marriage legal in some states but not others? Why is the speed limit higher in some states than in others? Why does the cost to register cars differ from state to state? Why do some states not tax income? Why do some states impose the death penalty and others don't?

Why? Oh why? Oh why?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Why do fools fall in love? But back to a serious discussion: what somehow makes alcohol sales in supermarkets a threat to public health or safety? The governments of NJ and DE act like it's lethally dangerous. I get the impression that these laws have their origins in religion, something that isn't supposed to be entangled with the laws of any community in our country.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
But back to a serious discussion: what somehow makes alcohol sales in supermarkets a threat to public health or safety? The governments of NJ and DE act like it's lethally dangerous.
And the state of PA acts like alcohol sales by any party other than the state are lethally dangerous.

But enough nonsense. Bye

Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,793,917 times
Quote:
Why do fools fall in love? But back to a serious discussion: what somehow makes alcohol sales in supermarkets a threat to public health or safety? The governments of NJ and DE act like it's lethally dangerous. I get the impression that these laws have their origins in religion, something that isn't supposed to be entangled with the laws of any community in our country.
I would say making it easier for teens to pick it up and drive is a threat to public health.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 PM

It seems ironic to me that beer is forbidden to be sold by both supermarkets and state stores in PA. In Utah, all alcohol is sold by state stores, and in Virginia, both beer and wine are sold in supermarkets, but spirits (along with certain local wines for taxation purposes) are sold in "ABC" stores. So the PA system is really inconsistent. With the exception of those supermarkets that have a right to sell beer, there really are no retail establishments that sell beer in PA at all. I don't really consider restaurants that sell 6 packs to be retail establishments, nor do beer distributors which sell by the case really fit into the category of retail establishments. Seems like most beer distributor owners only really care about selling beer to the wholesale buyer, buying for his bar, than ordinary citizens/consumers.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Also, I was wondering... does DE (or NJ) have a particularly high rate of alcoholism, or did it at least in the past? Because if so, I can understand why the state government would have an interest in making alcohol harder than necessary to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or