U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM

70 posts, read 62,359 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'll just answer this list of questions first...

When are you moving? Probably next year, depending on the job hunt.
Where are you coming from? South Jersey
Why are you moving? I hate the area we live in now, and we're finally interested in putting down some roots after six years of renting.
Where will you be working? No idea yet.
Have you been here yet? Spent some time around UDel when I first started college. Then again, that was over 15 years ago. We did just go look at a house in the Richardson Park area.

Will you buy or rent? Looking to buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? We're looking at houses, since we'd like a yard and some semblance of privacy. Right now, looking below $125K - subject to change if I can find a steady job with decent pay.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Not married, been together seven years. No children, but nieces and nephews to spoil.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A - no kids, not having any.
Do you have pets? No, but I think he'd like a critter or two running around.
Do you want or need a yard? Really want one - I miss having a small garden and somewhere to put a grill.
Are you keeping a car? Probably two.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Access to activity without living in a noisy area. We currently live within a mile of an ambulance company, firehouse, train tracks and an industrial complex that keeps 18-wheelers driving past us at all hours of the day and night.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Don't particularly care as long as there's a low crime rate.

Beaches or City? I'd prefer beaches, but he doesn't want to be on the coast.

To elaborate... Honey and I have been living in corporate housing for the last four years and we're tired of it. This means saving as much as humanly possible and finding new jobs before we make a move. I keep hoping I stand a chance of finding a job soon, since I've been temping since finishing my degree. We'd like to stay close to NJ, if only for family & friends in Gloucester & Camden counties. Our extended families are all over the place, so we're looking for 2-3 BR, at least 1.5 baths - because I can guarantee relatives will come to visit.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts! Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM

296 posts, read 549,810 times
Well Wilmington is the biggest city, then Newark, Dover and then Milford. Wilmington does have trains and everything you can think of. Newark seemed to me to be a college with a city/town built around it. Stick with the two biggest if you want amenities. Noone else has trains or subways.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM

26 posts, read 45,092 times
For several years, I worked for a cable company throughout New Castle County, so I've been in just about every neighborhood and what seems like every house. I primarily worked in that Wilmington area. You mentioned Richardson Park which is a blend of one and two story Cape Cod style houses on a decent side of "the city". The neighborhood, at least a few years back had an older population many whom have lived in that neighborhood for years. It's slowly becoming more diversified since housing further up Maryland Ave in the actual city is either decaying or being bought and rented out floor by floor by landlords. That's one negative thing about Wilmington in certain sections of the city. There are older 3-story houses with cool exterior designs that have been bought as they were decaying by slumlords who cheaply subdivide them and rent them out floor by floor. No real maintenance is put into them, yet the landlords overcharge the underpaid... which a majority are recent Hispanic immigrants. Rich Park, however, is mainly owners and not renters and most..well the majority maintain the upkeep on their properties.

If you like the city atmosphere but without the noise, check out the Northwest side of Wilm around Trolley Square. Entertainment is a short walk away, but since Wilmington isn't a college city per say, you won't have 20 year olds puking on your front steps every night. It's safely a distance from any crime, but obviously I'd still advise to lock your car, but that's anywhere. The houses are deceptively larger inside than how they look from the outside. Property wise, you wouldn't have a lot of land, but the backyards are quaint, enough to sit out on the back patio and chill while the steaks are cooking. People in this area seem to take care of their homes since it's an artsy type area, so prices may seem a little high. There are other sections on the west side that are nice. One area I liked that was clean and pretty affordable was a section south of Lancaster Ave, starting west of Broom Street that runs west to Lincoln Ave. I don't know the exact name, but it's suburban like and full of parks. The streets consist of tree names and Bayard Middle School stands in this neighborhood if you look at googlemaps.

Near Rich Park there's also Elsmere.. The neighborhood isn't bad but the trend lately seems to be people buying to rent out to tenants. 125k can get you something here, but stay further away from the several apartment complexes. Not that they're dangerous, but if you're ever going to sell down the road you get more the further away you are...plus just from experience, it's common to wake up in the morning to take the dog out and have to pick trash up off of your front lawn that some slob just dropped on their way walking home from the bar at 1am.

Good luck... if you have any ?'s about any other neighborhoods, feel free to ask.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,772,358 times
I would make sure you have good solid jobs before leaving where you are now. My suggestion would be to rent for a little while and become familiar with the area before buying.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Thats what we are doing..renting and finding out whats where, whos where and whats what. Sounds like a song. Plus it is so nice to not have to rush and get desperate trying to find places to buy! Moving is stressful enough.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM

70 posts, read 62,359 times
Thanks for the info, folks.

I get the feeling that we're stuck where we are for a while, since the job market's treating me like a baby treats a diaper. But if luck changes, I'll be out of Burlington County in a heartbeat.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Wish you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware