U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,446,968 times

Advertisements

Have two separate questions about Delaware--particularly Newark--but they pertain to the whole State:

1. Does the State of Delaware tax dividends, interest, capital gains, stocks, bonds and so forth. I am having trouble finding the correct answer on the net for some reason.

2. How safe is the State? I have read about DuPont releasing toxins into the land and water there, and have no intention on moving someplace that may eventually kill me. What is the latest on these findings, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,634,715 times
Can you check the EPA website for the toxin issue??

We went to Slaughter Beach (just souteast of Dover) 3 years ago and on the beach were horseshoe crabs. I have been told that is a sign of clean water. But I don't know much about the land - it seems so clean in Kent county I would be shocked (and eager to learn) about any chemical dumps there!

Hold the phones, just did a websearch for myself while I was typing this post...

http://delaware.sierraclub.org/DuPontDioxin.htm (broken link)

http://greenyes.grrn.org/2005/03/msg00033.html

The most recent i can find:

http://www.infowars.com/articles/sci...nerve_age.html

Do a search in your favorite engine "Dupont toxic waste Delaware"

You are going to be in for a long night of reading. This is definately an eye opener for me. There are many more sites to read, I just randomly selected a couple of the top hits. Seems that Wilmington's water was contaminated, as well as the Delaware River. And they wanted to dump VX gas waste into the Delaware?

People in PA, NJ and DE should be (and probably are) outraged about this abuse of the Delaware!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:57 PM

295 posts, read 530,697 times
1. Delaware income tax (both personal and corporate): you simply fill out your Federal income tax return and copy the numbers onto the state form. So if the Feds tax it, the state taxes it, it's as simple as that. Yes, dividends, interest and capital gains are taxable on Federal and therefore state forms. No, stocks and bond holdings themselves aren't taxed (unlike, say, Florida), but the capital gains, dividends and interest they yield are taxed.

2. Delaware has more than it's share of superfund sites. Most are small abandoned landfills containing stuff like dry cleaning solvents and oil. None that I can think of are in any way related to DuPont, which is very responsible (most of it's DE operations are offices for corporate HQ and research anyway, most of it's plants are in the southeast and gulf coast states). Air pollution is the major environmental problem in DE, and the major source of that is automobile exhaust, with electrical powerplants a secondary source. Overdevelopment and all it's attendent consequences (open space, watershed, runoff, congestion, etc) are also an environmental problem. Clean drinking water may ultimately limit growth in DE (north of the canal, the Brandywine is small and up to 1/3 of it's summer flow comes out of sewage plants in PA; south of the canal, pumping more from the aquifers will cause salt water and polluted surface water intrusion). Finally, 30 years after the Clean Water Act, it's an outrage that Wilmington still regularly dumps raw sewage into the rivers (see CSO: combined sewage overflow). DE is rapidly becoming another NJ in all these regards.

Frankly, if you're seeking clean air and clean water, DE isn't the place to find it. But it won't kill you (assuming you don't have asthma, anyway). But I assume you've visited DE and if so none of this should come as a surprise; it's obviously not MT.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:48 PM

Rod, did you read the sites I posted??

They were trying to dump the VX waste into the Delaware river! I would hardly call DuPont environmentally sensitive for attempting to do the things I have been reading about tonight. They were also talking about DuPont dumping Dioxin which they say is one of the most toxic materials known to man.

I wonder how south Delaware is as far as pollution goes???? Most of what I am reading is in reference to issues in Wilmington.

I have wanted to move down to DE for some time now and thought it was near perfect but I do NOT like what I am reading so far about the environmental issues.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 AM

The web contains all manner of "information", from worthwhile to worthless. After some years, one eventually learns what kinds of sites are either uninformed or misleading and are a simply waste of time. So to answer your question, while hoping you may please take no offense, no, Winnie, I haven't.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM

Rod, do you happen to know a reliable source for unbiased, up to date info regarding pollution and dumping for DE??

I hear what you are saying - gotta always watch the source when you go digging through the net - no offense take at all.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 PM

I'd start with epa.gov and the dnrec.delaware.gov

Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM

15 posts, read 72,255 times
Delaware is high in crime , and higher in pollution !
I have lived here for a few yrs ( 10 yrs ) and i got very ill and no one knew what it was from . Water , air or the building i am live in .
But best idea for anyone thinking of moving to Delaware look into it first.
Also the water is not filtered or that is what i was told by my doctors
WHAT YOU DRINK IS WHAT YOU GET ..
Now about Crime , Delaware is rated some place between 4th and 6th in the country , One of the people running for A.G. is bragging about that as a record!
NICE ..

Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM

Allstate Insurance Company announced last week that it will no longer offer new homeowners' insurance policies in the state of Delaware.
Reasons cited were climate trends, new computer models showing potential future storm damage, and soaring reinsurance costs.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-17-2006 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Removing all references to a banned user.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 PM

8,499 posts, read 12,462,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Allstate Insurance Company announced last week that it will no longer offer new homeowners' insurance policies in the state of Delaware.
Reasons cited were climate trends, new computer models showing potential future storm damage, and soaring reinsurance costs.
If my news is correct, Allstate pulled the same crap in NJ.

Nothing to do with Toxic waste. Hurricane risk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16094619/

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-17-2006 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Removing all references to a banned user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or