Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 AM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, I always thought of the NE starting at Delaware even though the state runs mostly parallel east west to MD, which I consider the south, mid atlantic.

I wanted to know
1) Is DE considered a northern, mid atlantic, or southern state or does it vary by county?
2) Which market both TV wise, culturally, and sporting team wise does the state align with, is this PHI (Eagle, Flyer) country, Bal (Orioles, Ravens), DC (Skins) or mixed?
I always thought DE was PHI all the way aside from extreme southern portions.
3) Is DE a suburb of PHI, I always thought again it was aside from extreme south which was a resort.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Well, my brother in law lives in Dover, and I've asked him this question before. He's says unquestionably, in Dover, which is the middle of the state, the alligeance is overwhelmingly towards Philadelphia, which makes sense to me, because of the geographical proximity (approximately 70 miles away).

Old 05-10-2007, 08:49 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times
That's what I have always figuered BUT some Baltimore people claim Dover is their territory, which makes no sense because not only is Philly closer by mileage, but more so culturally.
DE is a northern state, and part of the PHI tri state area so why would they root for a mid atlantic team?

I'm curious in Dover do you get PHI stations, DE stations, MD stations?
DO you get MASN and Skin games or Eagles games?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
That's what I have always figuered BUT some Baltimore people claim Dover is their territory, which makes no sense because not only is Philly closer by mileage, but more so culturally.
DE is a northern state, and part of the PHI tri state area so why would they root for a mid atlantic team?

I'm curious in Dover do you get PHI stations, DE stations, MD stations?
DO you get MASN and Skin games or Eagles games?
Everything is Philadelphia stations. However, the Baltimore Ravens play in the AFC, so they play on CBS. Generally, in Dover, the Ravens will get some of the games on CBS. However, the Eagles are on every week. Dover is clearly aligned more with Philadelphia than Baltimore and certainly more than D.C. It's not even debatable.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,673 times
Question Delaware is a Southern state

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau categorizes Delaware as a Southern state, so Delaware is part of the South, not the North.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 AM

113 posts, read 482,371 times
I've lived in Dover just 15 years--as of today!--though we have considerable family here and in the general area who've lived here as long as 30 years. They say that up until around 15 or so years ago, Dover got Baltimore TV stations along with the Philadelphia stations.

Our extended family agrees that there are far more sports fans supporting Philadelphia than Baltimore, but quite a few Baltimore fans as well. Our family has its share of Yankee fans. Don't come after us, Charley! I meet the occasional, albeit very rare, Mets fan!

I know of a few Pittsburgh and Boston fans also. By the way, Baltimore is only about 15-20 miles more distant than Philadelphia from Dover. I don't like driving to either city.

Is Delaware a southern or northern state? I think the Mason Dixon line does strange things in this part of the country. One of the markers is in the little town of Marydel (you guessed it, partly in Maryland, partly in Delaware), but I think it may veer off at that point. I'll have to check. In Kent and Sussex counties, it often feels Southern (except for Rehoboth Beach), but not in northern New Castle county. When people ask me, I usually say it's a mid-Atlantic state, and leave it at that.

Interesting though: nobody would call New Jersey a Southern state, but if you look at the map, you'll see that NJ extends almost as far south as Delaware does, just across Delaware bay. I'd guess there's about 20 miles of Delaware coastline south of New Jersey's southern tip, which ends, I think, across from Lewes.

Lori, Julie's sister

Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post

Interesting though: nobody would call New Jersey a Southern state, but if you look at the map, you'll see that NJ extends almost as far south as Delaware does, just across Delaware bay. I'd guess there's about 20 miles of Delaware coastline south of New Jersey's southern tip, which ends, I think, across from Lewes.

Lori, Julie's sister

That is interesting

I do know the town you are talking about. We drove through Marydel.

During the civil war I did think De was with the Northen Soldiers?

I have met people here with a strong southern accent and some not.
Kind of mixed.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I've never thought of Delaware as a southern state. My view of Maryland through New York has always been Mid-Atlantic. I would think that the actual "southern state" designation would have started with Virginia ... and even some from Virginia might argue that anything north of Richmond is not yet the south.

Charley

Old 09-22-2007, 09:35 AM

199 posts, read 938,152 times
Well,
In about 10-15 years there will be so many people moving in from across the country Delaware will be completely homogenized. You'd be hard pressed to find any native Delawareans, Delawarlanders, Delawarites, except for the kids. Got me which is correct. Anybody know the correct answer?
It will be much like out here in Arizona and Florida - everybody is from somewhere else. People who complain about the bad drivers need to look in the mirror. My two cents.

Bob

Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Well,
In about 10-15 years there will be so many people moving in from across the country Delaware will be completely homogenized. You'd be hard pressed to find any native Delawareans, Delawarlanders, Delawarites, except for the kids. Got me which is correct. Anybody know the correct answer?
It will be much like out here in Arizona and Florida - everybody is from somewhere else. People who complain about the bad drivers need to look in the mirror. My two cents.

Bob
I think it is Delawarians............Not 100% sure but it seems I head this before. Like Floridians.

You are correct and your two cents is worth a million

Most of the folks I have met are from other states. Now Debbie, in the office, is a delawarian. But I have not met many. We have talked to the girl at state farm, the waitress, food store clerk, boscov's clerk and so on. All from other states. ]
Not to mention the residents here at SM. One is from DE but not originally.

I think anyone complaining about bad drivers should take a look. My husband does and he is the worst. LOL! He has tunnel vision and only sees what is in front of him. Not a good thing.

opps............Guess I'm included in this too.

One time he stopped cold on a high speed way to let someone merge on. We could have been killed and i"m screaming "what the H are you doing?"

He is a curtious fellow but a terrible driver.
I'll keep him anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware