U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 AM

15,457 posts, read 7,265,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Yeah, eliza, I that's what I found as well. I insured the cars in Sussex county so that they would go on with my home owner's policy. I wonder if it would have been even more to insure in Kent Co.

as it is now.
Rockky,
I really can't believe car insurance would be more in Kent than Sussex.
But who knows.

I'm not aware of the high accident rate in Dover. I have seen a couple but would see more in Philly. Especially on Route 1, Roosevelt Blvd. in Philly. They had 3 of the worst streets in the country as far as accidents goes.
Grant Ave, Red Lion roade and Welsh Road.
Every day there was at least one accident and many fatalities. Pedestrians were being killed right and left.
I worked on that road and always took the back roads to get to work.

It was so bad, the police were out for days pulling people over. They also installed camera's to catch speeders and light runners.
Speed limit is 45 and people were using it like an expressway.
My neice was hit when she was getting off a bus. She was lucky just to have a broken leg and some other non life threating injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,111,444 times
Oh my, eliza! How awful for your niece. I hope she is well now.

Yep, Charley, we all base our opinions on personal history and experience.

I'm sure those of you who have lived in population dense, urban areas have seen the worst.

We lived right off the main drag north of Dover. We could hear all the sirens and bangs. The one neighbor was a police band junkie. LOL! She was more info than WBOC. She lived in NYC most of her life. It was she who talked about how many accidents she felt were in our area. She didn't want to drive more than she had to in Dover, and this woman feared nothing! She worked on the police force in the City and as a PI.

One difference between counties about cars that surprised me is that emission standards are different between Kent and Sussex. When you go to the DMV they do the test that is necessary for where the car is licensed. You can have it done in Dover or Georgetown, but it's based on registration.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,007,377 times
That's quite a surprise on the emission standards test! In New York, a huge state geographically, the standard is the same standard statewide.

Do you know why there is the difference between the counties in Delaware? I wonder about the impact, if any, on the air quality between the counties.

Charley

Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Oh my, eliza! How awful for your niece. I hope she is well now.

Yep, Charley, we all base our opinions on personal history and experience.

I'm sure those of you who have lived in population dense, urban areas have seen the worst.

We lived right off the main drag north of Dover. We could hear all the sirens and bangs. The one neighbor was a police band junkie. LOL! She was more info than WBOC. She lived in NYC most of her life. It was she who talked about how many accidents she felt were in our area. She didn't want to drive more than she had to in Dover, and this woman feared nothing! She worked on the police force in the City and as a PI.

One difference between counties about cars that surprised me is that emission standards are different between Kent and Sussex. When you go to the DMV they do the test that is necessary for where the car is licensed. You can have it done in Dover or Georgetown, but it's based on registration.

My niece is fine today. This happened when she was 16. She is 38 now. She is married with 3 children........doing fine

What you are descibing off the main drag in Dover.......sounds like where I used to live in Philly.
We were on a main street with sirens several times EVERY day.

Where we live now, off of Irish Hill Road, it is sooo nice and quiet. I love it.

We leave SM and get on Irish Hill to find not much traffic at all if any.
What a pleasure.
I used to fight EVERY day to get out of my driveway on the the street for 21 years.
I'm not exaggerating either

Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 AM

I have no idea why it's this way, Charley. I just know the guy in Dover who did the last inspection on my Miata told me I'd better be sure of my address. LOL!

I guess he wanted to know why I was renewing at the Dover facility rather than the Georgetown facility. I just ran all over the two counties, living in both. I used the one I was closest to on that day.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm glad to hear your niece's life was not impacted in the long term, eliza.

By 'main drag' I mean from Rt. 8ish north to above DelTech. That strip of mini malls, stores, the Mall, Dover Downs, and various restaurants. There seems to be aggressive drivers who tend to do 55+mph....passing on the right, etc.

I was coming up State St. one day to the intersection at 113. There is a left turn, straight ahead, and a flow off to the right lane. I was going straight across....stopped at the light. A car from wayyy behind me sped up on the right, wove around all the cars going straight, and placed themselves first in the line at the light. Did the same thing at the next intersection.

I was leaving work one day and was crossing thru the intersection at State and Water. I was the second car in line. Suddenly the car in front of me gunned (still a red light), jumped the curb on to the sidewalk, crossed over State St. and crashed into the lamp pole on the corner. The driver jumped out of the car and began screaming profanities at someone else in the car. Maybe that's 'normal' for some people, but I've driven for over forty years and didn't see that stuff until I lived in Dover.

These are just two things I recall. There were many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
My niece is fine today. This happened when she was 16. She is 38 now. She is married with 3 children........doing fine

What you are descibing off the main drag in Dover.......sounds like where I used to live in Philly.
We were on a main street with sirens several times EVERY day.

Where we live now, off of Irish Hill Road, it is sooo nice and quiet. I love it.

We leave SM and get on Irish Hill to find not much traffic at all if any.
What a pleasure.
I used to fight EVERY day to get out of my driveway on the the street for 21 years.
I'm not exaggerating either

Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear your niece's life was not impacted in the long term, eliza.

I I was leaving work one day and was crossing thru the intersection at State and Water. I was the second car in line. Suddenly the car in front of me gunned (still a red light), jumped the curb on to the sidewalk, crossed over State St. and crashed into the lamp pole on the corner. The driver jumped out of the car and began screaming profanities at someone else in the car. Maybe that's 'normal' for some people, but I've driven for over forty years and didn't see that stuff until I lived in Dover.

In philly, there were happenings all the time. It was normal for that area. Many a middle finger went up
we had stip malls and all kinds of hustle and bustle. you probably are not used to total Chaos.
There are a lot of stores up around dover downs and the mall with strips but believe me, we had this in Philly if not worse.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 43,128 times
[quote=rockky;1796577]I'm glad to hear your niece's life was not impacted in the long term, eliza.

I was leaving work one day and was crossing thru the intersection at State and Water. I was the second car in line. Suddenly the car in front of me gunned (still a red light), jumped the curb on to the sidewalk, crossed over State St. and crashed into the lamp pole on the corner. The driver jumped out of the car and began screaming profanities at someone else in the car. Maybe that's 'normal' for some people, but I've driven for over forty years and didn't see that stuff until I lived in Dover.
Funny, I see this everyday here on Long Island. It get's worse & worse. I'm looking forward to alittle less hustle & bustle. The LIE is the worst!!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 43,128 times
Anyone familiar with Fairview Farms in Middletown?I am looking at properties there and was wondering if anyone knew of the area, good or bad. ??Any proposed big highways or shopping centers etc. I found it to be the most suitable to what I am looking for so far.Also whats the story with the potassium iodide pills they give out???

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

902 posts, read 2,386,286 times
Hey gang!

I gotta chime in on the traffic/driving habits of folks in DE. We have lived in several areas/states over the last 20+ years, and I don't even want to think of the miles this old body has logged behind the wheel. On top of that, I was an insurance agent for over 20 yrs, so I feel I speak with some knowledge.

I think the roots of the problem are (in no particular order):

1 - Motor Vehicle in most states will give drivers licenses to pretty much anyone with the $$ to pay the fee, regardless of ability (or lack thereof) to actually drive and think at the same time

2 - People not knowing where they are going and/or how to get there (quite typical in a pretty transit area common to university towns and/or military towns - no offense to either party!)

3 - Life EVERYWHERE is so much more fast paced, most people are trying to do 10 things all at once. Multi-tasking is one thing, but everyone has their innate limit of how many things they can do effectively at one time. Seems too many people are pushing the envelope these days (including me).

I actually started this reply hours ago and had to leave the computer, and can't remember any more of my train of thought.

peeweeaz - do you have that AARP application for me yet??? Maybe they'll make an expection on the minimum age requirement!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware