U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,328,340 times

Advertisements

When you look at a map of Sussex County especially, there are numerous little towns shown that must be tiny and that I've never heard of except on the map. Kent has a few such places as well. The obscure places in New Castle tend to be more old settlements that no longer have any local amenities, though sometimes there are relics of a more defined past -- a church with a few families left, a mill falling to pieces, some ruins here and there... Yorklyn would be an example of such a place.

What do people here think are the most out of the way places in Delaware, especially any places that still have some surviving character as a town? What's interesting about any of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 AM

7,366 posts, read 10,807,942 times
Woodland, is both obscure and remote, but one of my favorite places to drive through. I say "drive through" because there's nothing there, but the Woodland Ferry, a few old homes, and a very long story.

For an attitude adjustment, take the opportunity to travel west from Seaford, almost to the Maryland boundary. Since the story is SO long, I've attached a State of Delaware link to this very old settlement. I've read many stories about Woodland, and Patty Cannon's name keeps popping up (another long story of a slave trader and murderer). My travels throughout Delaware lead me to Woodland, a few times/year. When driving through, I usually park my car along the southern bank of the Nanticoke where the ferry docks, and spend a few minutes just taking in the area, which has now pretty much gone to ruin. But the story of Woodland is so interesting to me, that when I return home, I'm always prompted to read about Woodland's history, again.
http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/wo...y_brochure.pdf

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Woodland is great little hamlet, rdlr. I've ridden the ferry more times than I can count. Outside of Laurel is another charming little settlement called Bethel. It used to be a shipbuilding center in the 19th Century. It's filled with lots of well-maintained clapboard houses and a graceful bridge crosses Broad Creek. (Bethel, Delaware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

When we were kids and used to take the back roads to Fenwick Island, we drove through a little places like Roxana and a small crossroads called, of all things, Hardscrabble. I haven't been through either in decades.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,328,340 times
Thanks for the responses so far! I think there are lots of generally less known places in DE that are worth exploring. I a on the iPhone at the moment but will write more thoughts and observations about this later.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM

I know all of your places, jm!

The local story is that Jackson Browne has a summer home in Bethel. I've heard that on one of his "albums" (old talk) there's a map showing Bethel.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM

4,489 posts, read 4,749,659 times
I love this stuff. I hope others add more!! Thanks for starting it.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 25 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,073,463 times
My husband's father was born in Woodland--family had a farm there and my husband's uncle lives there. I hear my husband talk about how many of his family members are buried there and he has mentioned that the area has deep roots in Native American history, including an Indian burial ground where some of his ancestors are buried. I can tell some "out there" stories about Woodland, but it involves hauntings, ghosts, etc.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 AM

379 posts, read 499,480 times
GreenTop was one of the last labor camp towns in the state.
Flea Town was mainly a tavern and mail stop between Lincoln and Ellendale.
Williamsville is another crossroads town with mainly a junkyard and a general store/deli/outfitters.
Vernon is a scattering of houses around a church on rt 14 west.
Burrsville is further west on DE/MD border. It has an antique store and a Ruritan club meeting hall.
Andrewsville was once known for it's well kept baseball field but it's a bit neglected now I think. Follow rt 14 west and take Andrewsville road south.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Reliance, actually in Maryland, but right on the DE/MD boundary, formerly was Johnson's Crossroads. It's famous for Patty Cannon's escapades. Lots of history about Patty. Strange that there's a nice little subdivision a couple miles from Reliance, in Delaware, named Patty Cannon Estates. And she has ties to Woodland. Liz is right, there are lots of ghost stories. Here's a link from the Maryland State Archives:
Patty Cannon MSA SC 5496-051231

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM

4,489 posts, read 4,749,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
My husband's father was born in Woodland--family had a farm there and my husband's uncle lives there. I hear my husband talk about how many of his family members are buried there and he has mentioned that the area has deep roots in Native American history, including an Indian burial ground where some of his ancestors are buried. I can tell some "out there" stories about Woodland, but it involves hauntings, ghosts, etc.

Oh please do!! If you have the time and others don't mind. There are always stories like that with more remote areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or