Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

(AP) -- What can you do with pumpkins? The list is not all that long. You can make pumpkin pies and breads, carve jack-o'-lanterns or use them to decorate your front porch.

Or you can send them hurling into the autumn sky at 400 mph with a 30,000-pound cannon.

It's pumpkin-chucking season!

The World Championship Punkin Chunkin contest -- World Championship PunkinChunkin (http://www.punkinchunkin.com/main.htm - broken link) -- takes place November 2-4 in Bridgeville, Delaware, about 30 miles from Lewes and 90 miles from Washington.

Pumpkin-chucking events popular for fall - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/10/15/pumpkin.chucking.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM

903 posts, read 3,492,071 times
Wow! If we did not already have other plans, this sounds pretty interesting! If the weather doesn't play in our favor that weekend, we may just have to trot down to Bridgeville! This could be on the list of unique things we've seen and done since becoming DE residents!

Hmmmm.... wonder if I can get a bulk discount on pie pumpkins? I'm in a canning mood, and LOVE pumpkin pie but prefer homemade fixin's. Guess I have to run down another opportunity!

Mary

Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM

31 posts, read 110,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Wow! If we did not already have other plans, this sounds pretty interesting! If the weather doesn't play in our favor that weekend, we may just have to trot down to Bridgeville! This could be on the list of unique things we've seen and done since becoming DE residents!

Hmmmm.... wonder if I can get a bulk discount on pie pumpkins? I'm in a canning mood, and LOVE pumpkin pie but prefer homemade fixin's. Guess I have to run down another opportunity!

Mary
I've gone to the Pumpkin Chunkin' event in Delaware the past two years, and loved it, but I don't think i'll go back again. its nothing more than a Redneck festival..so be prepared for overalls, pickup trucks, missing teeth, and Nascar everything

Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,003,885 times
Quite a description ... but I think I will have to go just once for the experience.

Charley

Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 AM

Oh my gosh, that description sounds like you're talking about a typical weekend most anywhere in NC! Though I am not a native Carolinian, my boys are; we have spent a lot of years in and around rednecks of the southern variety.

And Charley, I like your frame of mind. I like checking things out, if nothing more than for the life experience and crazy pictures for the photo album!

Mary

Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 AM

Life experience is my "hobby". If I told you some of the things I've done, you'd think I was either delusional or one of the world's great liars (although I can prove just about all of it.)

Someday, when we're all REALLY bored ... lol

Charley

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM

199 posts, read 935,178 times
Charley,

LOL....As I said before, we all have stories and some have more volumes than others; especially, as we get older. You reminded me of friends of ours who retired to AZ from MN. When we get together and after a few brewskies, he and I start telling stories. Our respective wives begin rolling their eyes. One nice thing about getting old - you usually don't run out of conversation pieces.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 AM

lol ... oh how true that is!

Charley

Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 AM

well peeweeaz & charley, its already been determined you both have a few years on me, but I'll bet I can keep up with the story telling!

Reminds me of one of the many unusual experiences/sitings since moving to DE... I was at the stop sign at the end of our road about 2 weeks ago, and lo and behold, a flatbed tow truck turned in with an unusual vehicle on the bed. Of all vehicles, this one was painted just like what I call "the Scooby Doo" van! I kid you not! I thought I'd had a few too many scooby snacks! So much so, I turned around and went out into the country to find this vehicle.. my boys would not have believed I saw it otherwise. They all think I'm crazier than a loon as it is!

Mary

Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 AM

My stories are based on "resume" type things, like doing a GE commercial, working for Bill and Hillary Clinton for about an hour, supervising parts of the New York City Marathon, ending up as one of seven people at a party that was supposed to be for 300 (The seven were a congressman and his wife, the caterer, two volunteers, me and Jimmy Carter), discovering an unused old schoolhouse - buying it from the governor for $1 - and helping to turn it into a middle school, and other "unique" events. Maybe life IS like a box of chocolates ... lol.

To me, these were exciting things. To most other people, they'd be yawning and saying "Oh my ... look at the time. I didn't realize it was so late"

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware