U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,053,515 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with Peppers Creek--nice area. No crime issues or problems I'm aware of. Dagsboro is a pretty sleepy town except when there's a chain of traffic on route 26 heading to the beach during the summer. There are some degenerates living on the outskirts of Dagsboro, but that's the case anywhere anymore. The area around Peppers Creek is peaceful and quiet. As for flooding....it's doubtful, but then again I haven't been there after a storm. However, I have not heard of any flooding issues there as of yet.

Property development is still coming along quite well in my area, maybe a bit slower inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM

80 posts, read 123,070 times
I second the concern about sex offenders comment. I grew up here and just moved back with young kids and was appalled at the number of sex offenders, especially as a % of the population. I compared the stats here to the 2 much larger cities I lived in prior and couldn't believe the difference as a % of the population and also proximity. I don't let my 8 year old walk to the bus by herself since there are two sex offenders who live within walking distance and it's easy to see the bus as it comes and goes. I've noticed that other parents in our neighborhood do the same even though their kids are older and well passed the age when I was walking a 1/2 mile to the bus with my younger siblings.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,053,515 times
Yes, we do have quite a few sex offenders in Delaware. One lives two street behind me--an elderly man. I don't really worry about him, but my son is almost 18 and the perv keeps to himself. I don't blame anyone for being very cautious though, particularly if you have young children.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM

48 posts, read 66,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Yes, we do have quite a few sex offenders in Delaware. One lives two street behind me--an elderly man. I don't really worry about him, but my son is almost 18 and the perv keeps to himself. I don't blame anyone for being very cautious though, particularly if you have young children.
This was a concern to me as well when I did research on the area. However, for every "registered" sex offender in ANY area, there are also those sex offenders who have yet to be exposed. As you said BeachLiz, CAUTION with children is key!!!

Even when my son decided he wanted to walk to school by himself in elementary school (he was in 5th grade I think), I followed him every day either by car or foot without him knowing. Low and behold, one day I followed him and there was this white van in the school parking lot with a guy sitting with the side door open smoking a cigarette, I'm far enough in the distance that my son nor the guy could see me and he strikes up a conversation with my son...needless to say, I made my presence KNOWN as fast as I could run to him...the guy jumped up, closed his van door, and got in the driver's seat to drive off...I asked my son what did he say and he asked my son if he had seen a dog. From that day on, my son was driven to school until he became high school age. Maybe extreme, but there are a lot of predators out there...ALL over the place!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM

494 posts, read 670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Thank Harry I appreciate you letting us know about the Section 8 housing. I know you are really aware of our conditions as you post from Battle Creek , Michigan.
Try again. I still have alot of friends ( some who owned establishments on longneck got out of there because of the problems ) and relatives in the area. Just because i am no longer there doesn't mean i don't know what is going on. Heck i watched the decline begin shortly before i moved from the area in the early 2000s.

And believe me i do not say that with joy. I HATE seeing what is happening to what was once a very beautiful area that was situated away from the drama. I loved the years i lived there and will always look back fondly on them.

People like you ( i tell this to others as well ) should be asking the local leaders etc why is trouble being imported into the area? It is also a well known fact that places like Philly would send ex cons etc down to the shore ( the area ) with promises of work and housing and would even give them some money. I met a few of them. The state of Delaware was doing basically the same thing with people from the Wilmington area because of how bad it had gotten there. Unsure if they still do that but it wouldn't surprise me if they still do. There is REASONS WHY people move away from the bigger city's etc to places like Longneck to retire or whatever and thus to get away from the problems aka crime and that sort of thing. When i lived in the area there was no shortage of workers or housing so why the need for section 8? Ask yourself that.. What it is is the bigger city's up north trying to push their problems down south.

And yeah not all who live in section 8 are problem people. All knows though that trouble always comes with section 8 housing though. The growing crime problem on Longneck speaks for itself. Ask the business owners about robberies before and now after section 8 came to the neck. Place i worked for i know got hit 3 times AFTER.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,764,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Try again. I still have alot of friends ( some who owned establishments on longneck got out of there because of the problems ) and relatives in the area. Just because i am no longer there doesn't mean i don't know what is going on. Heck i watched the decline begin shortly before i moved from the area in the early 2000s.

And believe me i do not say that with joy. I HATE seeing what is happening to what was once a very beautiful area that was situated away from the drama. I loved the years i lived there and will always look back fondly on them.

People like you ( i tell this to others as well ) should be asking the local leaders etc why is trouble being imported into the area? It is also a well known fact that places like Philly would send ex cons etc down to the shore ( the area ) with promises of work and housing and would even give them some money. I met a few of them. The state of Delaware was doing basically the same thing with people from the Wilmington area because of how bad it had gotten there. Unsure if they still do that but it wouldn't surprise me if they still do. There is REASONS WHY people move away from the bigger city's etc to places like Longneck to retire or whatever and thus to get away from the problems aka crime and that sort of thing. When i lived in the area there was no shortage of workers or housing so why the need for section 8? Ask yourself that.. What it is is the bigger city's up north trying to push their problems down south.

And yeah not all who live in section 8 are problem people. All knows though that trouble always comes with section 8 housing though. The growing crime problem on Longneck speaks for itself. Ask the business owners about robberies before and now after section 8 came to the neck. Place i worked for i know got hit 3 times AFTER.
Harry I do hope you are happy in Michigan. I am quite happy and feel safe here on Long Neck. Although I believe it was 9 years ago a guy did murder his wife and mother in law within walking distance of my house. Sorry I would love to talk more but I must run and buy and armored vest!!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Harry I do hope you are happy in Michigan. I am quite happy and feel safe here on Long Neck. Although I believe it was 9 years ago a guy did murder his wife and mother in law within walking distance of my house. Sorry I would love to talk more but I must run and buy and armored vest!!
Nice scapegoat there. I wasn't trying to imply that it is a war zone.

Sorry that i burst your bubble.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Nice scapegoat there. I wasn't trying to imply that it is a war zone.

Sorry that i burst your bubble.
Harry I live here you can't bust my bubble talking about my neighborhood from Michigan. How are things in Detroit??

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Harry I live here you can't bust my bubble talking about my neighborhood from Michigan. How are things in Detroit??
I can see i struck a nerve. I don't live in or near Detroit.

As for my city i currently reside in it is doing great as it is making a great turn around. YES it was a crap hole ( still is in some ways but being worked on ) with high unemployment etc. You see unlike you i have no ego to bruise. ALL places go through good and bad times and yes that includes there. But you keep trying to feel better about yourself via making assumptions about where i live. More power to you. I have lived in far worse and was fine but you see i try to make the best of all situations. Don't dwell on the negative.

Now i'll be sure to tell my relatives and friends in Longneck etc that some guy said they are all lying.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I can see i struck a nerve. I don't live in or near Detroit.

As for my city i currently reside in it is doing great as it is making a great turn around. YES it was a crap hole ( still is in some ways but being worked on ) with high unemployment etc. You see unlike you i have no ego to bruise. ALL places go through good and bad times and yes that includes there. But you keep trying to feel better about yourself via making assumptions about where i live. More power to you. I have lived in far worse and was fine but you see i try to make the best of all situations. Don't dwell on the negative.

Now i'll be sure to tell my relatives and friends in Longneck etc that some guy said they are all lying.
Harry the Delaware form here is basically a friendly form where we try to supply information and help each other. Since you and I don't seem to be going that way I will not be responding to any future post from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or