U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,792,581 times

Advertisements

There are so many smart folks considering moving to our area I thought I would post links to local news so that folks can see what is going happening. Delmarva TV stations WBOC TV 16, Delmarva's News Leader, FOX 21 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 - Home - WMDT 47 News - Delmarva's Choice Radio station (great website) WGMD-FM and local newspaper News - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA .
I see some people who are worried that they see SO MUCH CRIME in the news. Remember this is a quiet, lightly populated area and almost every little thing makes the news. Great area.VISIT before you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM

168 posts, read 605,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are so many smart folks considering moving to our area I thought I would post links to local news so that folks can see what is going happening. Remember this is a quiet, lightly populated area and almost every little thing makes the news. Great area.VISIT before you decide!
Im sorry but having lived here for nearly 10 years I can honestly disagree about "every little thing" making news. I find it to be just the opposite. Ive seen and heard of many news worthy events that just arent reported about. A good example is a local peeping Tom in the Laurel DE area that has been "peeping" in and around the area for 4 years. This just recently made the news because they have seen him elsewhere and he's been crossing state lines. FOUR YEARS this has been going on and its just now making news? The WBOC facebook story had a large amount of comments from people that live in the area knowing about it and some that were shocked it had been happening for that long without someone being caught.

My farmer neighbor has had the copper stolen on his irrigation so many times its ridiculous. Crime DOES happen here and it doesnt get reported. Delaware has a HUGE number of Sex Offenders, I believe its in the Top 5 in the country and the drug problem here is much worse that anyone reports. That doesnt make it horrible but you cant say that everywhere in slower/lower is quiet with little crime. Thats simply not true.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Im sorry but having lived here for nearly 10 years I can honestly disagree about "every little thing" making news. I find it to be just the opposite. Ive seen and heard of many news worthy events that just arent reported about. A good example is a local peeping Tom in the Laurel DE area that has been "peeping" in and around the area for 4 years. This just recently made the news because they have seen him elsewhere and he's been crossing state lines. FOUR YEARS this has been going on and its just now making news? The WBOC facebook story had a large amount of comments from people that live in the area knowing about it and some that were shocked it had been happening for that long without someone being caught.

My farmer neighbor has had the copper stolen on his irrigation so many times its ridiculous. Crime DOES happen here and it doesnt get reported. Delaware has a HUGE number of Sex Offenders, I believe its in the Top 5 in the country and the drug problem here is much worse that anyone reports. That doesnt make it horrible but you cant say that everywhere in slower/lower is quiet with little crime. Thats simply not true.
Oncesir.. Of course some crime does happen.. My comments are aimed mainly at areas where folks would be considering moving/retiring. Notice I am posting the news sources and urging people to visit and check things out. Yes there are even areas in Lewes and Rehoboth where I would not want to wonder around after dark. I don't think most of our posters interested in retiring here are looking at the Laurel/Seaford area.Going back in history these were once upscale areas and Seaford was home to a DuPont plant. Just not so anymore.
I have lived here 20 years and raised my son here and stand by my comments and feelings for Eastern Sussex.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 AM

59 posts, read 146,625 times
I quote my UPS delivery man..."Ma'am, we don't worry about leaving packages on the porch around here. This is a very safe area". I believe him, but I come to Sussex county via the suburbs of Washington DC so maybe it is relative. I wouldn't have bought a home in Lewes if I didn't believe it was safe. I have a sister who has lived in Laurel for 20 years and has not been a victim of any crime. However, anecdotal evidence can point you in any direction you want. There is some crime everywhere, there are some drugs everywhere. What gets reported is no indication of the actual crime rate. More an indication of what type of news day it was. Could be 100% reported, or 10%, or zero. There are crime maps and data bases to get and compare crime statistics. That is a better source if you want to be educated about it. I am with Longnecker. Do the homework and satisfy yourself about just how much crime is around here; visit, talk to people, talk to the police. I just can't believe there is much crime here, using my own, subjective definition of "much".

Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM

As I said in my earlier post. A lot of things make the news cause it's slow down here. Here's a link to TV news.
Information Sought On Bald Eagle Death In Caroline Co. - WMDT 47 News - Delmarva's Choice
That's right folks a Bald Eagle died because it are part of a fox and made TV news. Really dangerous down here!!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM

494 posts, read 673,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
As I said in my earlier post. A lot of things make the news cause it's slow down here. Here's a link to TV news.
Information Sought On Bald Eagle Death In Caroline Co. - WMDT 47 News - Delmarva's Choice
That's right folks a Bald Eagle died because it are part of a fox and made TV news. Really dangerous down here!!
meh.. I have heard from a few relatives/friends that longneck area etc is not what it used to be thanks to low income/section 8 housing that is exploding in that area. Look at how that worked out for West Rehoboth for alot of years.

And yes i know from living there for nearly 20yrs that alot of stuff ( crime ) does not get reported and that is because of the tourist dollars involved.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,149,908 times
While it may not get reported as much look at what we are talking about, break ins and copper theft, nothing compared to Wilmington, as for the sex offenders, that is a state wide problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
meh.. I have heard from a few relatives/friends that longneck area etc is not what it used to be thanks to low income/section 8 housing that is exploding in that area. Look at how that worked out for West Rehoboth for alot of years.

And yes i know from living there for nearly 20yrs that alot of stuff ( crime ) does not get reported and that is because of the tourist dollars involved.
Thank Harry I appreciate you letting us know about the Section 8 housing. I know you are really aware of our conditions as you post from Battle Creek , Michigan.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 8,015 times
Could anyone supply information on the dagsboro area. I see a sub-division called Peppers Creek at the marina and a couple of others. I'd would be interested of course about crime in the area, but i'm also concerned about flooding. Since the housing bust has the property development continued to move along or has it ground to a halt. Any help would be appreciated I know their are a few on this forum that are very informed and helpful with the Sussex County area.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM

7,360 posts, read 10,799,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdf54 View Post
Could anyone supply information on the dagsboro area. I see a sub-division called Peppers Creek at the marina and a couple of others. I'd would be interested of course about crime in the area, but i'm also concerned about flooding. Since the housing bust has the property development continued to move along or has it ground to a halt. Any help would be appreciated I know their are a few on this forum that are very informed and helpful with the Sussex County area.
The real estate market throughout Delaware has definitely picked up, from my prospective. I'm not a Realtor, but am fully involved in a real estate related profession, and am working day and night throughout the entire State. For those still pondering about the market and crime, now is the time to act before prices go up, and the market now is looking much better for sellers. "Crime" (or the lack of) has been regurgitated again and again here, and you will hear all opinions. My advice to newcomers is, visit one of the State Police Barracks within the jurisdiction that interests you. They can provide, or direct you to a current police report on crime. Regarding flooding? We are a peninsula, so some flooding certainly is possible wherever you buy in Delaware, but it's not prevalent. If you buy directly on the water in a low lying area, of course, flooding could happen. FEMA maps are available on line, for your use. Common sense prevails. If a Nor'easter, hurricane, or tornado is expected, the whole State of Delaware prepares. Nobody can say Yes or No to some questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or