Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM

74 posts, read 97,736 times

Advertisements

When building a Hovnanian Home in DE, when are you able to go to the Design Center to see what the options are for the interior of the home........carpeting, cabinets, countertops, etc. ? Where is the Design Center located ? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
wouldn't it be the much easier way to actually call the company and ask them ? just sayin'

Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM

71 posts, read 205,418 times
I can't speak to K.Hov, but we are building with Schell Brothers and the design appointment was scheduled just after we went to contract. They need all your selections signed off before they will even start to build. I agree with queenofbavaria, probably best to call them directly.
As for the design appointment, that was 4hours of fun! I looked how it came together! Good luck!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM

Thanks ictulips ! Makes sense. I bet it was fun, I can't wait until we get to go. Good Luck to you too !

Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictulips View Post
I can't speak to K.Hov, but we are building with Schell Brothers and the design appointment was scheduled just after we went to contract. They need all your selections signed off before they will even start to build. I agree with queenofbavaria, probably best to call them directly.
As for the design appointment, that was 4hours of fun! I looked how it came together! Good luck!
So you go to the design center after you sign the contract?? For those big bucks I would want EVERYTHING settled before I signed the contract.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM

71 posts, read 205,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you go to the design center after you sign the contract?? For those big bucks I would want EVERYTHING settled before I signed the contract.
Well, you draw up a preliminary contract based on the features that you want. You also estimate the levels of finishes and the like. When you go to the design appointment you are really just picking out specific finishes, colors and additions. So, if you are not realistic in the beginning you can find yourself inflating the price if you let yourself get carried away at the design appt. we set a very strict budget and managed to keep ourselves in check. Again, I am not certain that other builders work this way, but I imagine they do.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictulips View Post
Well, you draw up a preliminary contract based on the features that you want. You also estimate the levels of finishes and the like. When you go to the design appointment you are really just picking out specific finishes, colors and additions. So, if you are not realistic in the beginning you can find yourself inflating the price if you let yourself get carried away at the design appt. we set a very strict budget and managed to keep ourselves in check. Again, I am not certain that other builders work this way, but I imagine they do.
Thank you for clearing that up.It's been a long time since I was planning a move!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM

84 posts, read 206,406 times
If I recall correctly, it wasn't too long after we signed the original contract. And it is the same idea between the builders, we picked out things like granite, etc in the original contract and when we got to the design center we basically had a "budget" based on what was discussed in the contract so we were able to play with the different grades of products (carpet, flooring, granite, cabinets, etc) to figure out what worked best for us the price range we had already agreed upon.

When we went to the design center we were still living in Montgomery County, Maryland so we went to the Hyattsville design center (I'd guess this is an hour and a half from Magnolia where we are). I don't know if there is one closer depending on where you are currently so you will probably have to call and find out. If nothing else, I suggest calling the Sales Center in the community you are buying in. They know everything. We still ask our sales person questions even a year later if we need to! She was so helpful and nice!

We love our K. Hov home so hopefully you do too! Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Thank you so much for the info. I'm just impatient. We're in NJ and putting our house on the market within the next few weeks, so I guess I just have to wait a bit. Heading down to Longacre Village this weekend again........to do some measuring in the model. I guess we're pretty much at the start of a long process, but I'm sure things will fall into place.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 AM

59 posts, read 176,894 times
Like ictulips, my half day at the design office was the most fun of buying the house. My builder was Select but now Schell has taken over to finish the community. When we drew up the contract, I made standard and upgrade choices, chose the exterior colors, elevation, floor plans, electrical, etc. After that we went to the model with the samples of flooring, cabinets, counters, etc. But before I went to the design office, I had a booklet of all the choices, what was standard and what the upgrade options were, and I was able to find most of them on line to get an idea of what they might look like. Even so, I was able to make changes later if the items were not already on order. They just wrote an addendum to the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware