U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 AM

18 posts, read 47,989 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering Lewes as an option within the next year. We want to be close to the beach, a little further north than we are now (in SC) and love how for his software dev job, a lot of major cities are within a days drive. Also the schools there seem to be good. Shields Elementary is where we are thinking so if anyone has feedback on the school it would appreciated.

I have been reading through all of these forums and have gotten some good advice so far. However, I am specifically looking for advice on neighborhoods in the area. We would like to be close to the schools and shopping. However I like a neighborhood that also doesn't make you feel like you in the middle of town. We would like enough yard for our kids and dogs to play. Amenities such as a pool and recreation center would be nice. Mostly looking for a nice safe neighborhood with kids thier age that I would feel okay letting them walk down the street to a friends house.

Our budget currently is $350000. We have gotten spoiled by the last new construction we purchased (love not having to do anything to it) so that is okay with us. However would like a neighborhood that is mostly developed already.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM

59 posts, read 145,986 times
Hi! My neighborhood is mostly over 55, just a few families with young children and about half built out, so you probably won't be interested in that. Lots of others here with more experience will chime in. But for starters you might get some ideas here...
Where to Live in Delaware 2013: The State’s Best Neighborhoods and Towns - Delaware Today - March 2013 - Delaware

Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Hi! My neighborhood is mostly over 55, just a few families with young children and about half built out, so you probably won't be interested in that. Lots of others here with more experience will chime in. But for starters you might get some ideas here...
Where to Live in Delaware 2013: The State’s Best Neighborhoods and Towns - Delaware Today - March 2013 - Delaware
Many of us know the general area quite well. However when it comes down to specific neighborhoods your best bet is to come and check them out.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Thank you for the responses! We definitely plan to come visit soon. I notice this article states that Bay Pointe is family friendly. I was actually looking there as an option so this has been helpful! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 AM

59 posts, read 145,986 times
I have friends in Bay Pointe and have driven through there several times. They love it. They were in South Carolina, too, and decided to move back north a ways so they could get to DC and Baltimore for some city life once in a while.

All the new or newer communities have pretty robust web sites that you can browse to start narrowing it down, but there's nothing like a warm, sunny Saturday to drive around and see the neighbors out and about to get a feel for who lives there, where they shop, etc. And you can check out the beach traffic, too. I found most of the new communities are served by Verizon with FiOS so your internet connection will be strong.

Something to consider, many of these new communities offer amenities that you might not want or need, like golf courses or lawn maintenance. HOA fees are set accordingly and can get pretty high. Some builders in the communities will also build on a lot you buy that is not part of an association, you can choose from their floor plans, so that can be an option.

I had a great time shopping for a DE community and a house, and I was also lucky enough to have friends in or around Rehoboth/Lewes who did some initial leg work for me and sent me lots of pictures. Happy hunting!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Cay 1982 I don't know if you monitor the website for the local news from Lewes ( News - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA ) so I thought I would post a link to today's article on need for new schools in Cape District. It specifically mentions Shields. Board hears plans for new schools - By Melissa Steele - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Thank you for the link! I was actually looking earlier to find the newspapers and such from the area. Much appreciated!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Our visit is planned for the weekend of April 6th. Any recommendations on places to stay, things to see, do etc?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,544,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cay1982 View Post
Our visit is planned for the weekend of April 6th. Any recommendations on places to stay, things to see, do etc?
April 6 - 7th 2013 is the 200th aniversary of the bombardment of the town of Lewes by the British during the 1812 war. So if you are in to history - I think they have some activities planned in Lewes that weekend.

Again, if you are in to history check out the Zwandendale Museum in downtown Lewes and learn about the 1798 shipwreck off Roosevelt Inlet - then go to Lewes Beach and head north toward Roosevelt Inlet seaching for pieces of pottery that still wash up on the beach. ( A sand replenishing project discovered and distrubed the wreck in 2005 - causing artifacts from the wreck to continue to wash up on the beach).

If you want to visit the ocean try - Cape Henlopen State Park. If you go early enough you can borrow bikes at the park for the entire family to use at no charge for 2 hours (first come first served). All you need to do is leave your drivers license with them until you return the bikes. They even have loaner bike helmets. If you are from out of state I think the cost to enter Cape Henlopen State Park is $8 for the car - all day pass.

Mary2014

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,544,670 times
I wanted to correct the spelling in case you wanted to research it on line - it is Zwaanendael museum.

Zwaanendael Museum

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or