U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 AM

7,327 posts, read 10,758,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Between midnight and 3AM, I would hope to be tucked away in bed and not traveling the streets of any town, including the one in which I live right now ... which on the crime scale of 1 to 10 is a "1", even though four miles from here, it's a "6".
Charley
Exactly my point! My husband and I went to Smyrna Schools, back in the stone age. We thought it was rowdy then! So, it's all relevant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,975,390 times
Quote:
Between midnight and 3AM, I would hope to be tucked away in bed ...
... and to be totally honest, it's usually a bit before midnight

Charley

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
... and to be totally honest, it's usually a bit before midnight

Charley
Oh, no you don't! You're not taking away my seniority!!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM

50 posts, read 222,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpharma View Post
Hi
I am little bit of scary by hearing ur comments about smyrna. So what should I do. I got a job offer in
66 Smyrna Mart
Smyrna, DE 19977
Can u give me any suggestions in which place I should live.
Hi and welcome to the Delawhere? forum. I have been reading all of the posts, and at this time I have far better things to do believe me, but I'm going to throw my hat back in the arena.
Smyrna is a safe place to live. The crime statistics are skewed due to the high rate of incarceration. The high rate of incarceration is due to the fact, that the Law enforcement officials are ill trained, have very little public oversight, (can't wait to hear comments on that one) and for many people who live there, law enforcement is the only avenue to a good job with pension. Prisons were built so people could have jobs, nothing more. Now those people who are in law enforcement, who work for the prison system, they have to justify their salaries, so hence the high rate of incarceration. It doesn't matter if you have committed a crime or not, they will find a way to make money from ticketing, false arrests, etc. Is this making sense to anyone so far? Good.
Now back to your question kpharma. Go visit Smyrna, I lived there when younger, near Lake Como. Even swam there, don't know about the water quality now, I am assuming the citizens have protected it, hopefully so. Find yourself a good local REALTOR, they will direct you.
If all else fails, and you still feel unsafe, buy yourself a Rottweiler, not a gun, there are way too many guns in that state anyway.
I lived in DC too, and it was ranked as one of the highest crime areas in the COUNTRY. Soooo DC finally mandated that no guns would be allowed in the city (none period.) Charlton Heston, is going to love me for saying that, is he even still alive? anyway, only those in law enforcement would be allowed to carry a gun. The police departments finally got their acts together,or are much better than before, because many people were leaving the city due to excessive force, parking tickets, ill training, and general police brutality. When people leave a city, you have no one to police, hence, no jobs. This finally got the city back on it's feet, there was less crime, and people were feeling safe again to stroll the streets even at midnight.As a matter of fact, looking back, I felt safer living in DC than I did in DE.
So I hope you follow your instincts as I am sure they will take care of me, mine always have. Happy hunting and Happy landing.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2south View Post
The crime statistics are skewed due to the high rate of incarceration. The high rate of incarceration is due to the fact, that the Law enforcement officials are ill trained, have very little public oversight, (can't wait to hear comments on that one) and for many people who live there, law enforcement is the only avenue to a good job with pension. Prisons were built so people could have jobs, nothing more. Now those people who are in law enforcement, who work for the prison system, they have to justify their salaries, so hence the high rate of incarceration. It doesn't matter if you have committed a crime or not, they will find a way to make money from ticketing, false arrests, etc. Is this making sense to anyone so far? Good.
Makes NO sense to me!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Makes NO sense to me!
hehe..........me neither Delley but then again who really cares

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,975,390 times
It doesn't make sense to me either. Especially since the FBI confirmed for us that prison statistics do not count in the data presented on crime. Once again, an incorrect statement.

"Buy a Rottweiler"? "Delawhere"? "Police Brutality"? This person is clearly someone with an ax to grind - but her issues are not mine.

And so, we move on.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 AM

4 posts, read 39,871 times
I have a daughter that attends the Smyrna Middle School. We choose the Smyrna School District because it is the safest school district in the state. The academics are great. She is a straight A honor student. We love the area because it is quiet and has a lot of housing options among other reasons. The people are friendly and the cost of living is resonable. These are just a few of the things that are important to us as a family.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose2264 View Post
I have a daughter that attends the Smyrna Middle School. We choose the Smyrna School District because it is the safest school district in the state. The academics are great. She is a straight A honor student. We love the area because it is quiet and has a lot of housing options among other reasons. The people are friendly and the cost of living is resonable. These are just a few of the things that are important to us as a family.
Hi DesertRose,

Welcome to the forum........

Glad you are happy with Smyrna. it seems like a quiet and friendly area.
A lot of growth going on too.
Keep coming back and sharing with us.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM

18 posts, read 57,040 times
HI

I just visited Governers town house in smyrna. The town house maintainance is good. Thank u very much for ur help. They informed me that they do not have single bed rooms but they do have double bed rooms. I am satisfied with the apartment. We are planning to take the double bed room apartment itself
Thank u very much to all of u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware