Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM

125 posts, read 159,041 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24-year-old recent university graduate from the Pittsburgh, PA area who is seriously thinking about relocating to DE. Looking at recent census data, the population is clearly growing in all three of the state's counties. I'm researching areas in New Castle County north of the canal, in addition to the beach towns in Sussex County. What are attitudes like in these areas? Is the cost of living reasonable? Are taxes reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post
I'm a 24-year-old recent university graduate from the Pittsburgh, PA area who is seriously thinking about relocating to DE. Looking at recent census data, the population is clearly growing in all three of the state's counties. I'm researching areas in New Castle County north of the canal, in addition to the beach towns in Sussex County. What are attitudes like in these areas? Is the cost of living reasonable? Are taxes reasonable?
If you have a position or job lined up, that would be the first thing to consider. Delaware is only 96 miles long and 47 miles wide, so access N. to S. and E. to W. is easy. I drive up and down Delaware most days in my business travels. Since I am a native of Delaware, I can't be too objective regarding attitudes. Having been here, since dirt, I have seen attitudes change. In my opinion, we once were a much friendlier state, but the increased population has changed that. The cost of living seems reasonable to me. Taxes are cheap, which is why we have so many retirees coming here to live from NY, NJ, PA, MD and DC. Kent and Sussex Counties have drawn the retirees and there are many 55+ communities, which accounts for the population increase you noted. Our young people have mostly moved away from Delaware in search of higher paying jobs. That is the reason I started this reply with the concern that you have a position/job lined up. Jobs are scarce here. About taxes, for a $350,000 house, you may pay between $1,500-$2,000 year in real estate taxes, depending on the school district. I hope you come. We need young, professionals!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM

62 posts, read 136,525 times
It depends on what are you looking for insofar as lifestyle. My parents have lived in LSD (Lower, Slower Delaware) for many years. If you enjoy peace and quiet, flat and rural, then Sussex County is the place. The upside is that you could end up 30 minutes or less from the beach. Be forewarned, weekend driving is a bear because of the traffic. The cost of living throughout the state does appear to be lower than in larger metropolitan areas like Philadelphia or Baltimore.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 AM

125 posts, read 159,041 times
I appreciate the feedback. Eventually, I want to go back to school. Settling in Newark would be suitable for that. A commute to Wilmington doesn't seem like it would be that bad.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM

61 posts, read 156,879 times
A commute from Newark to Wilmington isn't terrible. But, also look into North Wilmington, Greenville, Hockessin and Pike Creek areas if you are considering the school district too.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
What field do you want to get into? Job opportunities in health care and banking/finance/insurance are good here, IMO. I have lived in Houston, TX, and Harrisburg, PA prior to moving here in 2009 (for a job promotion). Houston has some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Central PA has a young crowd in the Harrisburg area, but the state is full of very conservative people and it seems to hinder life. Delaware (Wilmington/Newark area) is a good area for a young professionals with plenty of opportunity. Salaries here, at least in my line, seem to be above average. I have found the people here to be very outgoing. There is a young professionals network that is sponsored by New Castle County and is a great resource for networking. As far as cost of living, you can't beat it here...no sales tax and extremely low property taxes.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM

319 posts, read 504,183 times
DRS1989

Fantastic! You mentioned going back to school. I assume you mean graduate school?
Were you planning to attend full time or part-time while working? For the latter,
there are a number of programs in Delaware and Philadelphia for a number of degree programs.

Delaware State University, University of Delaware, Drexel University, Wesley, Jefferson University,
Weidener, and UPenn all have a number of programs for full time and part times study in all sorts
of graduate programs.

There is also a small growing technology startup scene and maker community in Delaware as well.
These don't get the same press as pharma/banking/finance/chemical/materials but they are growing.
There's a great place called "The Coin Loft" and "Barrel of Makers" that are doing fantastic things
in Delaware. They host regular meet-ups and the Coin Loft Has regular workshops on many tech topics
as well as guest speakers.

As a transplant to DE, I've found many more things I like than dislike along with a handful of things I've
accepted just not understanding about DE. Mostly, if you are friendly and down-to-earth to others, you
will make friends quickly. The people I've met in DE like those who like them back!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
As a transplant to DE, I've found many more things I like than dislike along with a handful of things I've accepted just not understanding about DE. Mostly, if you are friendly and down-to-earth to others, you will make friends quickly. The people I've met in DE like those who like them back!

I couldn't have said that better, and actually, I've never said that but thought that. We love it when newcomers mingle with us, take part in Delaware activities, and blend in. It's been my lifetime experience, that not many do.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 13,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

I couldn't have said that better, and actually, I've never said that but thought that. We love it when newcomers mingle with us, take part in Delaware activities, and blend in. It's been my lifetime experience, that not many do.
but i say it's better...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware