Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times

Advertisements

Ok. We have a group of hungry residents who are new to the area and would like a nice Chinese restaurant where we could dine and enjoy each other's company at the same time.
It can be a buffet, but really need a good recommendation. Anybody have
a nice place in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Ok. We have a group of hungry residents who are new to the area and would like a nice Chinese restaurant where we could dine and enjoy each other's company at the same time.
It can be a buffet, but really need a good recommendation. Anybody have
a nice place in mind?

Good idea PA...........I really want to see a good recomendation.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM

113 posts, read 482,371 times
Just back in town, and wish I could help out with this. For years, there was an excellent Chinese restaurant, for eating in or take-out, called Sing House, at the Greentree Shopping center, but they closed about a year ago.

My family and friends have not located another place even close to as good. Nothing at all to recommend. So I'll be hoping you find one we can try too!

Lori

Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
What about that place toward Magnolia you ladies mentioned a few weeks ago? I can't recall the name, but it was not the take out only place. BTW... great idea PA... hopefully someone will come along and comment soon.

Mary

Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Delaware Today magazine (yes, I do subscribe from here in New York ... I told you I'm researching everything ... lol) has a section in the back of the magazine where they list restaurant recommendations. I don't know if these are editorial recommendations or advertisements, but there are NO listings for Chinese Restaurants in Kent County

There are two listed, one in Rehoboth and one in Hockessin, neither one being in or around Dover.

Restaurants.com has one listing - but you might want to verify that they are still open. That listing is:

Orient Express Chinese Restaurant
530 Bay Road, Route 113
Dover , DE 19901
Phone: (302) 674-8410

I hope that wherever you guys end up that you enjoy the meal and each other's company.

Charley

Old 10-29-2007, 05:49 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Hey, you guys! I never ate there, but some of our old neighbors liked King's Buffet. It has Chinese and other types of food....at least that's what I recall them talking about. Authentic? I dunno. It's up on North DuPont Highway right around the Kohl's store and all the chains in restaurant row....Lone Star, Red Lobster, Olive Garden. You could have lunch, hit the sale racks at Kohl's, and find some fun crafty stuff to do together at A.C. Moore.

Also, if you go for a brunch, you might want to consider the buffet at Dover Downs. Lots of variety! I think it's less expensive during the week.

Here's another option when you are all feelin' real girlie and want something different. I never made it down there either, but I understand it's a lot of fun.

Welcome to Victorian Lady

I liked to go the Village Inn in Little Creek. I loved the ambiance!

The Lobby House has pretty good food, and you get to id some of the state legislators. They really like being the big fish in a small pond and do lots of hand pumping....if you're into that sort of thing.

Roma down on Bay Road is good. As is Mari Monte in the shopping center off Salisbury Road where Food Lion, Goodwill, DE Open MRI is located. Both are local Italian cuisine.

restaurants loc: Dover, DE - Google Maps

Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Delaware Today magazine (yes, I do subscribe from here in New York ... I told you I'm researching everything ... lol) has a section in the back of the magazine where they list restaurant recommendations. I don't know if these are editorial recommendations or advertisements, but there are NO listings for Chinese Restaurants in Kent County

There are two listed, one in Rehoboth and one in Hockessin, neither one being in or around Dover.

Restaurants.com has one listing - but you might want to verify that they are still open. That listing is:

Orient Express Chinese Restaurant
530 Bay Road, Route 113
Dover , DE 19901
Phone: (302) 674-8410

I hope that wherever you guys end up that you enjoy the meal and each other's company.

Charley

Charley, Delaware Today is an interesting magazine. We still get it delivered here. I gotta tell ya though, it's not the real DE. Not that those places and people don't exist, but it's not the real, every day DE. They seem to want to make all of DE look like Greenville or maybe Rehoboth. The same company also publishes a periodical that covers Main Line Philadelphia. You won't see a lot of articles about the oil refinery around Delaware City. You may find an article about the up and coming, quaint Delaware City main street area, but it will be very specific photos that are very staged.

They cover all the "beautiful people" whose names are old and known. Notice all the fund raisers, formal dress, lots of champagne flowing? Elite groups. I've been to many of these functions. You see the same people...different night....different venue. Mainly political.

One of the funniest things they do is, The Best Of Delaware. They have voters who name the best of various restaurants/businesses. They separate it by county. Now, I won't say the voting is questionable...but.....

Each summer they have a big blow out with all these businesses set up and folks buy tickets to go taste all the freebies. The first one I attended was visited by the local police. They over sold tickets beyond the capacity of the venue. It was an ugly scene. The cops where not allowing people to go in after they had paid a rather hefty price for their tickets. They have since moved to a different venue.

Like I said, we still get it delivered here in PA. I just don't look at it quite the same way I did years ago.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
Just back in town, and wish I could help out with this. For years, there was an excellent Chinese restaurant, for eating in or take-out, called Sing House, at the Greentree Shopping center, but they closed about a year ago.

My family and friends have not located another place even close to as good. Nothing at all to recommend. So I'll be hoping you find one we can try too!

Lori
Welcome back Julie

Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Hey, you guys! I never ate there, but some of our old neighbors liked King's Buffet. It has Chinese and other types of food....at least that's what I recall them talking about. Authentic? I dunno. It's up on North DuPont Highway right around the Kohl's store and all the chains in restaurant row....Lone Star, Red Lobster, Olive Garden. You could have lunch, hit the sale racks at Kohl's, and find some fun crafty stuff to do together at A.C. Moore.

and do lots of hand pumping....if you're into that sort of thing.

restaurants loc: Dover, DE - Google Maps

Thanks for the suggestions Rockky. I have been to the Victorian House. We stumbled upon it during a little visit to Milford. Been meaning to go back for lunch or "tea". I love that.

The Lobby house is good too, been there.

I don't know if it was you that suggested the buffet lunch at Dover Downs, but that sounds great, Doesn't it girls?
I know you all want Chinese so Chinese it is this time.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Charley, Delaware Today is an interesting magazine. We still get it delivered here. I gotta tell ya though, it's not the real DE
Oh I know. They do to Delaware what "The New Yorker" does to New York. It's a very prettied up version of reality ... but it does have some factual stuff in it that I find helpful, particularly when it comes to entertainment and restaurant listings.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware