U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,793,917 times

Advertisements

Brief clip from a Cape Gazette article.. Click the link at end for full article.

When Harmon-Robbins and Street were growing up, the Nanticoke tribe was almost completely self-sustaining; families grew their own food and made their own clothes.

Harmon-Robbins grew up in a family of 13, with no electricity and no running water.

She said her family grew produce they would sell to local grocery stores, but they were not allowed in the building. “They wouldn’t recognize Native Americans at that time. They only recognized blacks and whites,” she said.

Her great-grandfather, Isaac Harmon, established the Harmon School for Nanticoke Indian children in 1921. Harmon-Robbins said after it was built, the state took control of the school, renamed it Worwic No. 225 and made it a school for black children, who were not allowed to attend school with whites until the 1960s.

Harmon then established the Nanticoke Indian School. “So we could retain our heritage,” Harmon-Robbins said. She attended the school until ninth grade
http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p...-sussex/981504
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 23 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,071,105 times
Good article! I knew (and went to school with) some of the local Nanticoke tribal members when I lived in Oak Orchard from 1985-2000.

I've mentioned this before, but my husband is half Native American (father's side) although they are not affiliated with the Nanticoke tribe. His family is local Assateague "Blackfoot" and also Choctaw-you'll find more people from this tribal descent in western Sussex and lower Delmarva. His family resides in Blades and the western Seaford area. Like the Nanticokes, many people on his father's side were self-sustaining and did not have electricity/running water when it was common for everyone to have these luxuries. My husband is very proud of his heritage, but he's too shy to participate in the pow-wow. Wish he'd reconsider!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,745,031 times
Yes, vey interesting. Thanks for posting link!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,564,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Brief clip from a Cape Gazette article.. Click the link at end for full article.

When Harmon-Robbins and Street were growing up, the Nanticoke tribe was almost completely self-sustaining; families grew their own food and made their own clothes.

Harmon-Robbins grew up in a family of 13, with no electricity and no running water.

She said her family grew produce they would sell to local grocery stores, but they were not allowed in the building. “They wouldn’t recognize Native Americans at that time. They only recognized blacks and whites,” she said.

Her great-grandfather, Isaac Harmon, established the Harmon School for Nanticoke Indian children in 1921. Harmon-Robbins said after it was built, the state took control of the school, renamed it Worwic No. 225 and made it a school for black children, who were not allowed to attend school with whites until the 1960s.

Harmon then established the Nanticoke Indian School. “So we could retain our heritage,” Harmon-Robbins said. She attended the school until ninth grade
Nanticokes keep heritage alive in Sussex - By Kara Nuzback - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Longnecker.........Interesting. We have visted the museum in Oak Orchard. Very interesting and a nice way to spend the day. Was a dinner near by where we ate. forget the name but i was pretty goo
Also went down for a Pow Wow a couple years ago. Brought my GD. She loved it.
I'm very interested in Native American history.

When we flew to AZ......we visited the Hopi reservation. Drove up this huge mesa. The one lady had a gift shop where she sold native jewerly and such.
She said the had either electricity or running water. I forget but I thought to myself.....wow.....in this day and age they still are doing without?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM

7,362 posts, read 10,801,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Thanks for posting that, Longnecker! Very nice article....brought back lots of memories for me. As I mentioned before on this Forum, in my youth, 4th graders were taught Delaware History which included quite a bit of Indian teachings...and that was for a full year! I remember visiting the Indian Burial Ground down near South Bowers, but later, they closed that because it was considered disrespectful for kids to trump all around that area. There were a lot of school trips taken there.
http://articles.philly.com/1986-05-1...d-bone-samples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware