U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 AM

15,514 posts, read 7,637,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
hc7612,

Thanks for going to bat for me... as you said, I was just trying to be helpful. After posting, I realized I have been reading and whipping off replies without a lot of thought. If the original poster would clarify the type of place his MIL would be impressed with, perhaps better suggestions will come along.

My train of thought was a cafeteria style food selection, because 1) it works good with a group (one mention was MIL; I assumed the wife and maybe kids would be part of the dining party); and 2) like elizamary mentioned, budgetary guidelines were not mentioned. I know from experience, some MIL's ARE impressed by $$$, while others are NOT. Know what I mean???

Hopefully, when my boys are older and I become a MIL, I don't "live up" to that moniker!

Mary
Well put and you can park your thought on any train. LOL.......couldn't resist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM

113 posts, read 328,084 times
OK, so I'm reading one more thread than I actually have time to read.

We have a LOT of family in the area, so holidays have almost always been at someone's house, but this year, some will be away, and it seems to come down to me to cook, but I don't want to do it! Just too much going on here!

In the past, a restaurant called The Blue Coat Inn, on Silver Lake, was fine for this sort of family get-together, but it, long story, is now rubble. I, too, have wondered about the Sheraton and will be giving them a call. Unless I give up, give in, and cook.

Mary, I know the sort of MIL who doesn't like any evidence of overspending very well.

Lori

Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 15,484 times
Smile Thansgiving in Dover

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I unfortunately don't live in the area, therefore no access to the Dover Post. I've called most restaurants and after finding 90% closed, the only one of interest and open seems to be in Smyrna, the Thomas England House.
Does anyone know this restaurant? Any comments.

The Lagoon told me to call back. They hadn't determined if they'd be open or not.

We know Dover Downs is open but didn't really want to go this route.

Again thanks for all your help.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,257,414 times
I've not been to the Thomas England House. It's been there for years and always looked interesting. However, I've been told not very good things about it. One of the people who mentioned staying away from it was an employee.

Wayside Inn in Smyrna might be worth a phone call as well as the Sheraton in North Dover as I previously mentioned.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I've not been to the Thomas England House. It's been there for years and always looked interesting. However, I've been told not very good things about it. One of the people who mentioned staying away from it was an employee.

Wayside Inn in Smyrna might be worth a phone call as well as the Sheraton in North Dover as I previously mentioned.
Is Wayside Inn on Route 13. We saw a very classy place right on 13 and thought we may want to try.

I wonder if they employee was mad at management? Or.......if there is something questionable in the kitchen

Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,257,414 times
eliza, She inferred that it was something questionable in the kitchen at the Thomas England House.

Yep. Wayside is on the left, right along the road, as you go north in Smyrna. It's another old-timey, family sort of place.

We also had several quiet, good lunches at Sherridan's Irish Pub in the town of Smyrna. John Sherridan, the owner, is Irish. He's redone an old building and made it very attractive. The last time I was there they were expanding. It's just down from the fire house, but I don't know the streets in Smyrna. I just know how to get there if I'm doin' the driving.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
We also had several quiet, good lunches at Sherridan's Irish Pub in the town of Smyrna. John Sherridan, the owner, is Irish. He's redone an old building and made it very attractive. The last time I was there they were expanding. It's just down from the fire house, but I don't know the streets in Smyrna. I just know how to get there if I'm doin' the driving.
I love an Irish pub and will have to check this out. We have hit Irish pubs in our travels. Up in Jim Thorpe Pa there is a nice one called the Molly McGuires.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 AM

4,590 posts, read 5,885,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab10 View Post
Any on know of any restaurants serving Thanksging dinner this year.
Do the local country clubs only make their restaurants available to members.
Please help need some place to take MIL for dinner.
I don't know about country clubs, but the Sheraton located at North Dover on Rt. 13 always has a nice Thanksgiving buffet.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I don't know about country clubs, but the Sheraton located at North Dover on Rt. 13 always has a nice Thanksgiving buffet.
Thanks and this is good to know.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 AM

113 posts, read 328,084 times
Rockky, I can back you up on the not great evaluation of the Thomas England House, and I've heard it from several people who have dined there, though I must admit that, yet again, this is not recent. I've come to realize that we sort of gave up exploring Delaware several years ago, and I think we've missed out somewhat by doing this.

Lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware