U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 AM

74 posts, read 81,130 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions on closing on a home in a 55+ Community and using their lawyer vs. getting your own ? Not sure what to do. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM

7,326 posts, read 10,756,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moheganpeach View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on closing on a home in a 55+ Community and using their lawyer vs. getting your own ? Not sure what to do. Thank you !
Personally speaking.....get your own. There are plenty of good real estate attorneys around to represent you, and you alone.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
Slight tangent: has there ever been any movement in DE to have closings done by the title company agent rather than a lawyer? My guess is "no", since the real estate lawyer niche is no doubt very institutionalised here, but to me it seems to add a further bit of complication to the whole process.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Slight tangent: has there ever been any movement in DE to have closings done by the title company agent rather than a lawyer? My guess is "no", since the real estate lawyer niche is no doubt very institutionalised here, but to me it seems to add a further bit of complication to the whole process.
True, no title companies. Never having experienced anything but attorneys for closings, I don't know the benefit of a title company. My career as a real estate agent in past years found attorneys to be a great asset, sitting at the settlement table. Questions were asked, and attorneys were more than forth coming in answering questions. Never found settlements to be complicated.....mostly stream-lined and thorough. Sometimes, both attorneys were at settlement - the buyer's and seller's. The trend in new construction these days is to agree to use the builder's attorney, and many buyers do that - for what reason, I don't know.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM

356 posts, read 737,876 times
Always get your own. Always. It has nothing to do with how competent they are, just that legally your lawyer only represents your interests.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Always get your own. Always. It has nothing to do with how competent they are, just that legally your lawyer only represents your interests.
A red flag would go up for me, if the builder pushed their own attorney. Some actually quote discount prices if you agree to use their attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware