Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 AM

168 posts, read 672,382 times

Advertisements

Another recent story about ground water contaminants having known cancer causing chemicals.
http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...S08/311220051/

How can people still make light of this? Never have I seen such complacency. God forbid we talk about these issues to resolve them or at the very least get something done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM

310 posts, read 777,860 times
We were just talking about bugs today. I remember when I was a kid, the mosquito's were so bad, they used to "crop dust" and have spray tankers drive through the neighborhoods spraying DDT. It was very commonplace to see it going on. No one went inside or hid from it. We were just glad it worked.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM

65 posts, read 83,576 times
I thought near the canal had high cancer rates, is this true?

Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Watching the news lately and seeing Memorials on the side of the road I am sure we have a much better chance of dying from a traffic accident than cancer. There have been a lot of fatal accidents in the Long neck area and on RT 24.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times
The death rate of car accidents in Sussex County is higher than the murder rate. In fact, the traffic fatality rate from living and driving in suburban/rural communities outpaces the combined traffic accident rate and murder rate of those living in urban areas. I did a whole research paper on this phenomenon during undergrad and, with a few rare exceptions, it holds true across the country.

Just something folks should consider when they consider a place 'safe'.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 132,600 times
purchasing a house is a major investment. most buy so their family has a safe place to live. the same way I wouldn't purchase a home fronting on a 4 lane highway, I wouldn't want to purchase a home under power lines, with polluted ground water, or by a power plant. if there is a known health threat in the area, that knowledge needs to be shared.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am layla View Post
purchasing a house is a major investment. most buy so their family has a safe place to live. the same way I wouldn't purchase a home fronting on a 4 lane highway, I wouldn't want to purchase a home under power lines, with polluted ground water, or by a power plant. if there is a known health threat in the area, that knowledge needs to be shared.
As with most forums of this type, there are many different opinions on all of the above items you've mentioned. I'd suggest that newcomers perform their own investigations, and that way, they are not taking the word of others. In addition, Delaware is only 96 miles long, and between 9 and 35 miles wide at the widest point, so maybe some think ALL of Delaware is an unsafe place to live. I've been in Delaware 75 years, love it, and wouldn't live anywhere else. Still kickin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware