U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM

40 posts, read 132,952 times
Default Is Delaware more conservative or liberal?

Hello,

My husband and I are considering moving our family to Dover. Can anyone tell me if Delaware, and even more specifically, Dover is more of a conservative or liberal state/city? I have tried searching on the internet, and am not quite sure how to find this information out.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 AM

15,509 posts, read 7,522,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapgirl View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are considering moving our family to Dover. Can anyone tell me if Delaware, and even more specifically, Dover is more of a conservative or liberal state/city? I have tried searching on the internet, and am not quite sure how to find this information out.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
I am a newbie to DE but from my observation I'd say liberal or democratic.
Could I ask why?..........before I open my big mouth

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,240,349 times
One way to tell is by looking at the 2004 county-by-county "red/blue" map at USATODAY.com

New Castle is liberal, based in large part on the minority vote in Wilmington. Kent and Sussex counties are conservative. Elizamary's mention about being a newbie is key because as the population expands, and us liberal New Yorkers (and other states) start buying homes in Delaware, those numbers "may" change.

Regardless of the numbers and the colors, it's always my hope that we always find ways to get along with each other!

Charley

Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,740,157 times
I'll jump in. That depends on how you define "conservative" and "liberal". If you are talking politics, Delaware is a long time democrat state.....at least as far back as I can remember, and I've been here since dirt!

By the way, Charlie.......seems everybody I've met in the last 20 years in and around Kent and Sussex County is from New York or New Jersey. In fact, the trek started back in the 50's when the New York potato farmers started buying up farm land in Delaware.

Last edited by rdlr; 11-06-2007 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,213,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I'll jump in. That depends on how you define "conservative" and "liberal". If you are talking politics, Delaware is a long time democrat state.....at least as far back as I can remember, and I've been here since dirt!

By the way, Charlie.......seems everybody I've met in the last 20 years in and around Kent and Sussex County is from New York or New Jersey. In fact, the trek started back in the 50's when the New York potato farmers started buying up farm land in Delaware.
BOTH ACRES?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,740,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
BOTH ACRES?

Yes, we are a small state, and have had a population explosion. Delaware is about 97 miles long, and between 9 and 47 miles wide at the widest point. We only have 3 counties, and I realize that our whole state is smaller than many counties in other states.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,178,337 times
I'd say it's pretty moderate. We have Joe Biden thanks to Delaware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware