U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM

347 posts, read 736,702 times

Advertisements

The Council of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention named Middletown tops in Delaware...making it the only gold level Healthy Community in the state. Middletown was one of seven communities in the state to apply for the distinction. Seaford named silver level with Newark, New Castle and Wilmington earning bronze level. According to the Middletown Transcript ..".The rankings were determined by a council subcommittee that scored each municipality’s application based on their respective use of planning, partnerships and programs to encourage healthy environments and improved physical activity, while also integrating the needs of people with disabilities in neighborhoods, schools and workplaces."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM

6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times
The awards were as follows:
Middletown - gold
Seaford - silver
New Castle, Wilmington/South Wilmington and Newark - bronze
Bethany Beach and Dover - honorable mention

The basis for each municipality's recognition can be found here: CHPDP Healthy Community Recognition

Sounds like a great program.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM

168 posts, read 605,628 times
I love conflicting reports. Study: Del. Has Highest Obesity Increase in the Country - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Really makes you question everything you read. lol

Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM

6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times
^^^ I don't see the conflict you do. While rates have risen according to the report you cite (as they have in all states), DE still appears to below the national average. Shifting gears, the recognition this thread celebrates is for efforts that are designed to increase health. Who knows where obesity rates would be without these efforts? And who knows how these efforts will help improve health in the future? Hopefully significantly.

In my view, it's certainly better to put efforts into place to improve health, publicly recognize those efforts and thereby encourage other municipalities to follow suit, rather than do nothing. Where some my see a conflict, I see something to support and encourage.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM

297 posts, read 637,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
^^^ I don't see the conflict you do. While rates have risen according to the report you cite (as they have in all states), DE still appears to below the national average. Shifting gears, the recognition this thread celebrates is for efforts that are designed to increase health. Who knows where obesity rates would be without these efforts? And who knows how these efforts will help improve health in the future? Hopefully significantly.

In my view, it's certainly better to put efforts into place to improve health, publicly recognize those efforts and thereby encourage other municipalities to follow suit, rather than do nothing. Where some my see a conflict, I see something to support and encourage.
Totally agree. Also, I'm willing to bet that out-of-staters have moved to Delaware in bigger numbers the past 13 years than the years before 2013. What came first? Delawarean obesity or people getting obese in other states and moving to Delaware?

I'm loving the focus on healthier citizens over all. I struggle with my weight, but love being active (which also promotes healthier eating habits). The strides towards walkability and family-friendly active events and places can only be positive, IMO.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,427,092 times
not sure if you guys see what they feed the kids at school ? foot long hot dogs in elementary school as one example ... we could do so much better with more common sense :?

also ... this award is a little ironic to me, considering middletown was and still is one of the cancer clusters in delaware and has to deal with dirty water and pollution.
it should not only be about partnerships of any of those healthcare partners ... it should be as well about building enough sidewalks, having water fountains with filtered (!) water available (also in schools) and healthy dining options.
I would love to see something like a community garden.

I always liked middletowns active soccer community (and other sports as well) a lot. one of the most important steps to get those kids off the couch and do something.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM

261 posts, read 320,043 times
Middletown may very well be Delaware's top healthy community.

Statistics are a funny thing. I would ask to take a look at the raw numbers for things such as
incidences of cancer, obesity rate, lifestyle related chronic illness, AIDS/HIV infections.

In fact, there was a recent article in the newspaper concerning incidences of HIV/AIDS in Delaware
as being high. This is supported by Delaware's DHSS epidemiology reports
http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/dpc...epiprofile.pdf

So while its good that Middletown or any community is doing things to improve health, the goal
should be to reduce numbers altogether versus simply being better among a population that
has a ways to go.

For example, according to the NIH, someone is considered to be overweight if their body mass index
is in the range 25-29.9. Suppose, that the average BMI in Middletown was 28 while every other community
had an average BMI of 29 or greater. This could rank Middletown as the lightest (weight-wise) community
in Delaware.

I think the state is doing many fantastic things over the past few years to help improve the general
health- bike trails, parks, wellness efforts, etc. It is also a matter of reducing healthcare costs
through healthy lifestyles and preventative measures which is cheaper in the long run for every
taxpayer.

I would also take a look at the raw numbers. I will search for the raw numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware