Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM

388 posts, read 998,560 times

Advertisements

It's July 1st and that means the start of National Ice Cream Month! Not that I would need a national program to encourage my consumption, but I have found some new favorites here in DE. We have been going down to Hopkins Farm Creamery for the last 3 summers we have lived in DE. It is on the Lewes Georgetown Rd (Rte 404) just outside Lewes. Sitting in your car, slurping a frozen goody, and watching the cows resting under a nearby tree (who are ALL looking at you!) - well, to me THAT is summer!

So, what I would like to ask is where is your favorite ice cream place in the state? Please, no Dairy Queen or Baskin-Robbins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM

71 posts, read 205,384 times
Another vote for Hopkins Farm Creamery. A little too close to our future retirement home!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM

347 posts, read 863,507 times
UDairy Creamery at University of Delaware. The Ice Cream Shop, located near the "Bob", is open year round. The ice cream is made from the milk of cows at the university's Dept of Ag program. They have dry ice available in the event you would like to take some ice cream home in containers!

In Middletown the Cowgirl's Creamery at Emerson's Farm recently opened. They are on Jamison Road, open Thursday - Sunday. YUM

Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
it's a very hectic area BUT the Ice Cream Store on Rehoboth Ave just off the boardwalk is worth a stop to check out all the different unique flavors.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Woodside Farms Creamery out in the country near Hockessin.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Bylers on Rt. 8 (Forest Avenue, Dover) or Bylers in Harrington. For $1.00 you get 2 VERY LARGE DIPS, Cone or Cup. But they call it a single dip. They usually have 8 different flavors or so. Then, we enjoy our ice cream while browsing the Amish wares. In the winter, at the Rt. 8 location, we enjoy our ice cream cones around their huge display of wood and pellet stoves, many of them fired up!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
My husband and I tried Hopkins for the first time last month, and it was sooo good! We sat on my pick-up's tailgate while eating our ice cream and just enjoyed the scenery...pretty popular place, I might add.

King's Ice Cream in Lewes is very tasty too; I LOVE their malt milkshakes.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Bylers on Rt. 8 (Forest Avenue, Dover) or Bylers in Harrington. For $1.00 you get 2 VERY LARGE DIPS, Cone or Cup. But they call it a single dip. They usually have 8 different flavors or so. Then, we enjoy our ice cream while browsing the Amish wares. In the winter, at the Rt. 8 location, we enjoy our ice cream cones around their huge display of wood and pellet stoves, many of them fired up!

You really know how to enjoy yourself, rdlr. I have not had Bylers (will have to do that next trip), but found Woodside Farms ice cream very good. Pretty much any farm with the cows right there has good ice cream.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
You really know how to enjoy yourself, rdlr. I have not had Bylers (will have to do that next trip), but found Woodside Farms ice cream very good. Pretty much any farm with the cows right there has good ice cream.
It doesn't take much for me to have fun!
Byler's ice cream is not home made, and I think it's Hershey's....not sure. But It's SO GOOD....not only because of the taste, but because of the atmosphere and of course, the ONE DOLLAR price for a HUGE Cone!

About -Pretty much any farm with the cows right there has good ice cream- I think you're right! Even I could make good ice cream from milk-cream that came from our cows on the farm. It never lasted long! I was taught by the Amish, along with a lot of other things many would think to be "hokey".

Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 AM

84 posts, read 206,391 times
Bear with me and my random thoughts. The thought of ice cream made me very happy!

I've been past Hopkins a few times and wanted to stop but haven't...and now it appears I really should! Good thing my family is going to be in town for baseball tournaments later this month in Georgetown...I know where we are going!

I also love the Ice Cream Store in Rehoboth! I want to try all of the flavors!

Does it really matter where the ice cream comes from when it's a giant cone and only a $1?

Fifers Orchard in Wyoming has ice cream in their country store..and there are a few flavors that they make...a little more pricey, but that peach ice cream is to die for (and I don't even really like peaches all that much!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware