U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 40,391 times

Advertisements

I just wated to know which schol district in New Castle County is best?
I heard that Christiana and Colonial are the best but i am not sure.
I also heard Appoquinmick is best or Charter.
I am so Confused!
May someone please help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 PM

902 posts, read 3,210,274 times
I can see why you are confused. As a newcomer to the state, I too had trouble getting a feel for school districts. I have heard good things about Red Clay, but to be honest, I don't know which county it is in.

And keep in mind the answer to your question will be very different for you than for someone else. My personal opinion is that for the most part, elementary schools more similar in "good vs bad" comparisons, but the vast difference presents itself in the middle and high schools.

Perhaps if you post more of what specifically you are looking for, someone will pipe in soon. There is a good mix of "oldtimers" and "newcomers" on this forum. I'll be interested in seeing the responses as well.

Welcome to the board!

Mary

Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,771 times
My daughter is in the Red Clay District. That is in New Castle County. I grew up in the Red Clay District as well. I plan to keep her there. But keep in mind, it also depends on what school. But that really is with any district. Christiana and Colonial is NOT a good school district.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 17,814 times
My kids have been in both Colonial and Christina, and I would have to say that Colonial is a tad better. They seem to be more involved in the kids, if that makes sense.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:20 AM

204 posts, read 764,383 times
My kids have been in the Red Clay School District since Kindergarten. I have one in high school (Charter School of Wilmington) and one in middle school (HB Du Pont). I've been happy with Red Clay, but there are a few schools I wouldn't send my kids to. One nice thing about Red Clay is that you don't have to attend your feeder school. You can fill out a choice application for any school you choose. That being said, these are the ones that are the best (really good schools):
Elementary:
Linden Hill
Brandywine Springs
Heritage
Middle:
Skyline
HB Du Pont
Cab Calloway (super school!!!)
High School:
Charter School of Wilmington
Cab Calloway (again, super school)
AI Du Pont

Charter School of Wilmington is one of the best high schools in the country. However, it is admission by test scores. Charter has a focus on math and science.

I would not want to send my kids to Christina or Colonial School Districts. Don't know too much about Newark School District. Newark Charter, however, is also highly rated and has admission by lottery.

Appoquinimink is a great school district, too.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,991,545 times
In my youth, my father worked for Dupont and we traveled all over the U.S. Without a doubt, the finest school system we ever had the privilege to attend was in Newark. It is also the school of which I have the fondest memories.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 17,814 times
Quote:
I would not want to send my kids to Christina or Colonial School Districts.
Well then given as I attended Colonial School District, please disregard my previous post. It appears that this poster is above it all.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM

7,298 posts, read 10,722,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
In my youth, my father worked for Dupont and we traveled all over the U.S. Without a doubt, the finest school system we ever had the privilege to attend was in Newark. It is also the school of which I have the fondest memories.
You're still here, Dusty! We have a Dusty Rhodes in Smyrna!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,706 times
I would stay away from Christiana if you could. Colonial isn't too bad. Unfortunately I can't give you any help with Appo.

I went to Red Clay up through middle school and really thought that it was good. Started at Heritage, then to Linden Hill for a year (the first year it re-opened), then in the city for Warner, back out for Skyline, and to Dickinson and McKean for half a year each before I finally gave up on Public HS and went to a private one. If you can, try to get into Linden Hill, Brandywine Springs, or North Star for elementary. Skyline isn't a bad middle school at all, and I have heard really good things about HB and Cab Calloway too.

You're probably going to run into issues with the high schools in the system but I don't know how old your kids are so hopefully you will not have to deal with that for a little while

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,991,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
You're still here, Dusty! We have a Dusty Rhodes in Smyrna!
Oh yeah, there are actually about 200 of us, we gang up on the unsuspecting so they never know which one of us it was.......Well..... it sounded good anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware