U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM

7,370 posts, read 10,812,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Program viably is determined by a balance of audience and the price of producing a program. It is likely too costly to produce a news show solely about Wilmington in the pricey Philly TV market. Salisbury, a much smaller town, can support two network affiliates and produce their own extensive local news programs. In their instance, they don't incur the costs of airing in such a large market (Philly), which overlaps the Wilmington market.

It's unfortunate Channel 6 cut back on local DE coverage. Someone can run down there easily if there is a story to cover, but it's not the same as having someone based there who can turf up stories. A lot happens in the Greater Wilmington area that goes unreported. Personally, I don't watch a lot of local news, but when something significant does happen in my community or state, I'll tune in. It's shame the residents of Delaware's most populated region don't have that option.
Living around the Dover area, our news comes from Salisbury, and it's very good local coverage. There's a WBOC satellite office right here in Dover, and they cover what's going on here. Then, we have channel 47 here in Dover, which is "rinky-dink" but another choice. As we channel surf past Philly news, we catch snippets of their murders, accidents, school closings, and fires. On occasion, Channel 6 shows up on Legislative Mall in Dover, as was the case for the G/L marriage news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 PM

201 posts, read 351,616 times
I think the NBC affiliate in Philly just hired a Delaware reporter. That will help.

Add me to the list of people surprised by how little we've gone to Philly in the nearly two years that we've lived here. Other than the airport, we've gone to Philly for a concert, meeting out-of-town friends for lunch, and taking the kids to the Please Touch museum.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 AM

148 posts, read 230,184 times
The reason Wilmington doesn't have it's own TV affiliates is because nobody in between Wilmington and Philadelphia would have decent TV reception. That's why NYC is 2/4/7 and Philadelphia is 3/6/10. There were only 12 channels and too many people were in between so they had to give Philadelphia and New York most of the channels.

Wilmington got 12/PBS... Trenton got 11/NJN... The big cities got the rest.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The reason Wilmington doesn't have it's own TV affiliates is because nobody in between Wilmington and Philadelphia would have decent TV reception. That's why NYC is 2/4/7 and Philadelphia is 3/6/10. There were only 12 channels and too many people were in between so they had to give Philadelphia and New York most of the channels.

Wilmington got 12/PBS... Trenton got 11/NJN... The big cities got the rest.
I reply at the risk of narrowing the posts on this thread solely to television coverage, but here goes. Networks affiliates do not need to be assigned to channels 13 and below. In Salisbury, CBS affiliate WBOC is assigned to Channel 16 and ABC affiliate WMDT is assigned to Channel 47. Although with cable it really doesn't matter what the channel assignment is these days, even in the old days, I can remember my family tuning in WBOC in the early 1960s through an antennae on the roof of our home in Seaford. Channels 2 - 13 were referred to as VHF in those days while Channels 14 and above were routinely referred to as UHF.

Back to the broader consideration: I just returned from an overnight on the Eastern Shore. On the way back, I was wondering how Delaware would have fared if its largest city was Dover and Wilmington was a smaller place. Of course some things would have had to be different, such as EI DuPont putting powder mills on the St Jones River and a nice natural port site exist near Port Mahon. I would envision a larger city than present day Wilmington, one under the orbit of Philadelphia, but a full-fledged metro in its own right. It seems the perfection of the Brandywine for producing gun powder sealed Wilmington's fate - for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or