U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Ocean View, DE
1,767 posts, read 3,054,848 times
Reputation: 1113

Advertisements

I don't believe it will ever happen either, but I'll entertain the thought for the sake of this thread. A few years ago, my husband and I hoped that DE would "adopt" the eastern shore of MD as well when we were interested in possibly moving to west Ocean City (near Assateague). We also entertained the thought of living in St. Michaels, but we decided that we didn't want to move all the way to the other side of the peninsula and not have the ocean or boardwalk close by (even though I adore that area). However, it is MD and we really do not care for some of the MD politics/political system, crazy taxes, and even higher COL than where we live now. I'll take DE any day over MD! Oh, and I don't care for MD's expensive and very picky vehicle inspection and registration either; it's much worse than DE and we just couldn't deal with taking our five cars through inspection all the time. Our DMV is particular enough for us.

Jm02 make a valid point: MD may be more of a financial burden for DE given their unemployment and poverty rate.

And longnecker...you know I chuckled when I read your post!

Last edited by beachliz; 08-12-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,766,762 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This thread amounts to a trollish fantasy. The Eastern Shore includes some of the oldest settlements in Maryland and I'm sure has no interest in being absorbed into Delaware. As a resident of New Castle County, I'd seriously object to becoming part of Pennsylvania. In fact, if such a ridiculous fantasy were to become reality (when pigs fly), I'd be moving to another State pronto.

Delaware is what it is: three counties with populations ranging from arch-conservative to ultra-progressive, making for an overall moderately liberal-progressive State. If you don't like the People's Republic of Maryland, I dare say you wouldn't care for Delaware either. Maybe a small town in Texas would be more suitable.
So have seen that Geico commercial?? if NCC residents would object THAT much I'm sure they would be permitted to stay. WE would pick up enough votes to out vote them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
 
111 posts, read 127,740 times
Reputation: 191
What this thread boils down to is people feeling powerless/undervalued in the statewide political decision making process. There appears to be an undercurrent of resentment that their cultural and political values are not aligned with those in the majority of their state. Hence wanting to form alliances with those in contiguous parts of other states to ensure their values and politics are in the majority. In the case of the Maryland eastern shore and southern Delaware the conservative leanings in those areas of their respective states are contrary to the majority liberal/and or moderate (depending on your point of view) politics and culture of the majority population of their state. The situation is reversed in other states such as Florida where the southern part of the state (Broward, Palm Beach, Miami Dade and Monroe counties) is fairly liberal compared to most of the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,766,762 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don163 View Post
What this thread boils down to is people feeling powerless/undervalued in the statewide political decision making process. There appears to be an undercurrent of resentment that their cultural and political values are not aligned with those in the majority of their state. Hence wanting to form alliances with those in contiguous parts of other states to ensure their values and politics are in the majority. In the case of the Maryland eastern shore and southern Delaware the conservative leanings in those areas of their respective states are contrary to the majority liberal/and or moderate (depending on your point of view) politics and culture of the majority population of their state. The situation is reversed in other states such as Florida where the southern part of the state (Broward, Palm Beach, Miami Dade and Monroe counties) is fairly liberal compared to most of the rest of the state.
Exactly like minded people!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,691,650 times
Reputation: 3104
Interesting debate. A few years ago we went on vacation to the eastern shore on Tilghman Island. I enjoyed it very much there by the bay. Now are the people who live there 'like' the people in say mid-Delaware?? btw I should say the place we stayed at was supposedly owned by a high-class Wash DC lawyer..hehe it looked it too!...;-)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,345 posts, read 4,141,071 times
Reputation: 5654
I have a feeling that, if Delmarva would become a state by itself, it would become a red state that over time would become a state people want to move to because of the freedoms and eventually it will have more jobs because it would be business friendly. Over time, though, just as has happened in Colorado, it will begin to attract people from failing blue states. These new people will soon forget what made the state a success and start wanting the same services and handouts the failing red state offered. When they start voting for those entitlements, it will turn into another Colorado. I think that is the future for Delaware as it stands now. All those NY, NJ, and MD transplants that have already moved will start yielding their power and change the state. I would still push for Delmarva, though because 1, It will slow the process, because of the conservative nature of the ES of MD and VA, and 2, I may be long passed when it gets to the point where it swings blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,833 posts, read 7,760,809 times
Reputation: 9403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I have a feeling that, if Delmarva would become a state by itself, it would become a red state that over time would become a state people want to move to because of the freedoms
Interesting premise. Can you please let us know which specific freedoms you are currently lacking that you feel Delmarva will provide you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
Reputation: 2594
The Delmarva penninsula is mostly rural and small town. It's not going to attract any big businesses or manufacturing. Maryland's Eastern Shore and the bit of Virginia that occupies the lower sliver of the penninsula are very rural. Outside of agriculture, big business - DuPont - has abandoned its former activity in southwestern Sussex County. What you've got outside of northern New Castle County is a large resort and retirement area, Dover AFB, and agriculture/agribusiness. Do you really think that's going to greatly change? A unified State of Delmarva would make very little difference.

Interestingly, I notice that at the moment home sales are increasingly in New Castle, whilst being flat in Kent and Sussex. It could be the two lower counties are going to slow down in their population growth. You can only absorb so many retirees, and without major new sources of employment you won't have people of working age/families moving in. Northern New Castle County is a better fit for large employers, so I don't think the State is going red anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,345 posts, read 4,141,071 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Interesting premise. Can you please let us know which specific freedoms you are currently lacking that you feel Delmarva will provide you.
Freedoms from a tax loving government that taxes businesses so much that they won't locate in their state. With the addition of MD's eastern shore counties the new state would be much more conservative demographically. It would attract more business and therefore more jobs. It wouldn't happen overnight but it would happen there before it would in MD, if you try to wait for the people there to wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,345 posts, read 4,141,071 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The Delmarva penninsula is mostly rural and small town. It's not going to attract any big businesses or manufacturing. Maryland's Eastern Shore and the bit of Virginia that occupies the lower sliver of the penninsula are very rural. Outside of agriculture, big business - DuPont - has abandoned its former activity in southwestern Sussex County. What you've got outside of northern New Castle County is a large resort and retirement area, Dover AFB, and agriculture/agribusiness. Do you really think that's going to greatly change? A unified State of Delmarva would make very little difference.
A lot of smaller businesses would locate there because of the lower wage base and the fact that people want to move there to get away from the other side of the bay. Immediately, when such a re-alignment occures, business will look hard at the new regulations and tax benefits of locating there. If it is set up properly, they will come. And it can be done in a way that only clean business will be allowed. No smokestack manufacturing allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top