U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,177,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
And yet the counties that comprise Delmarva remain among the poorest in each of their states:

Delaware Poverty Rate by County
Maryland Poverty Rate by County
Virginia Poverty Rate by County
To make my point look at the whole USA on a county by county basis.

United States - People of all ages in poverty - percent, 2006-2010 by County

You will see that your argument about poverty levels are meaningless for this discussion, when you compare the Delmarva area to the rest of the country. Sounds to me like dogma on your part.

Texas has better employment figures than do most states. Look at them on this chart and you will see that poverty levels have little to do with unemployment stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,177,915 times
I took a little time to crunch some numbers from the census data at that site.

I multiplied the poverty level by county times the populations of each county.

Total of Delaware in poverty = 104998.
Total of MD ES counties = 48532. Ratio = 2.16

Population of Delaware = 957934
Pop of MD ES counties = 449226 Ratio = 2.13

Not much difference, as is Median Household Income:
DE average of three counties = $55,567
MD ES average of 9 counties = $56,863

In both comparisons MD is slightly better than DE. Statistically, it's a non argument.

Interestingly, though, the average poverty level of each state's counties on Delmarva is higher in Delaware. What say you jm02?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,959,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Yet its urban, political subdivisions run by Democrats that are bankrupt, viz., Jefferson County, AL; Harrisburg, PA; Detroit, MI; Stockton, CA, etc.
And those poor rust-belt Democratic strongholds of San Francisco CA, and Boston, MA.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
The industrial economy is a distant memory. It's not coming back. Tech and FIRE industries want to be where well-educated people want to be. Places with international airports, big universities, cultural pursuits, etc. Taxes are a secondary concern.

If Delmarva were a state it would have to borrow in the billions or get handouts from the federal gov't to build at least two interstate quality highways, an airport, passenger rail links and an education system (pre-k through university) that can compete on an international level.

There's a reason that Silicon Valley isn't in Oklahoma or Louisiana and Mississippi or South Carolina aren't biotech hubs.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,791,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The industrial economy is a distant memory. It's not coming back. Tech and FIRE industries want to be where well-educated people want to be. Places with international airports, big universities, cultural pursuits, etc. Taxes are a secondary concern.

If Delmarva were a state it would have to borrow in the billions or get handouts from the federal gov't to build at least two interstate quality highways, an airport, passenger rail links and an education system (pre-k through university) that can compete on an international level.

There's a reason that Silicon Valley isn't in Oklahoma or Louisiana and Mississippi or South Carolina aren't biotech hubs.
Some of us have different priorities in life.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:33 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,957 times
And I'm just wondering on some other important thing on this ES and Del issue . If we're ever in 'DelMarva' (have to say it sounds kind of nice) what would be the story with those crabs? Will they be 'DelMarvian' Blues or will I be looking for 'Olde Traditonal Maryland Blues?' on the menus? The seafood marketing guys would have some work to do besides the legislators too, eh?...;-)....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
In thinking about recent budget issues in PA i tend to the think that a much better conglomerate "state" would be the Delaware Valley/Watershed. It would include SEPA, Lehigh Valley and NEPA, the parts of NJ that don't readily identify with NYC, New Castle Co. plus the eastern half of Kent Co and and a little corner of NE Sussex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Some of us have different priorities in life.
Which is fine.

Let's just be clear about who pays the bills.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM

111 posts, read 128,061 times
Quote:
In thinking about recent budget issues in PA i tend to the think that a much better conglomerate "state" would be the Delaware Valley/Watershed. It would include SEPA, Lehigh Valley and NEPA, the parts of NJ that don't readily identify with NYC, New Castle Co. plus the eastern half of Kent Co and and a little corner of NE Sussex.

Which is fine.

I'd live in that State!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,791,276 times
Quote:
Which is fine.

So people living out of the upper end neighborhoods don't pay the bills? A different life style does not mean living in poverty or eating up your tax dollars. We work,have health insurance,live in decent housing (with actual grass in our yards)pay taxes and love the laid back atmosphere.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM

6,854 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So people living out of the upper end neighborhoods don't pay the bills? A different life style does not mean living in poverty or eating up your tax dollars. We work,have health insurance,live in decent housing (with actual grass in our yards)pay taxes and love the laid back atmosphere.
longnecker -The problem has to do with numbers and territory. Let's look soley at Delaware. Over half of the state's population lives in the smallest county. And the median household and family income in NCC is around 15% higher than in Kent and Sussex. That means NCC takes in a disproportionately higher share of taxes than do the southern two counties. This means that a stand alone NCC would be revenue rich and while Kent and Sussex would be revenue poor.

Why is this important:
- Taxes pay for road building and repairs. Could a stand alone Sussex/Kent have built the IR Bridge? Who will pay for snow removal? Remember, Kent and Sussex would be required to handle twice the geographic territory of NCC.
- Where do state funds for schools come from?
- Who pays to keep the state parks running?
- Will Del Community College be better sustainable in NCC or downstate? Will NCC keep UD and downstate build Del State into a flagship? And if so, who pays for that? And will downstate students who do want to go to UD have to pay out of state rates?
-Care for those less fortunate: NCC has 9% of its population on food stamps compared with 13% of the Kent County population and 14% of those in Sussex (Delaware | Food stamp recipients | Patchwork Nation | Online NewsHour | PBS).
- Kent/Sussex will need to set up their own state police organization. That's in addition to ALL other state infrastructure the three counties currently collaborate to maintain - elections, revenue, veteran's affairs, mental health, insurance commissioner, child protective services, national guard and on and on.

These are just some of the examples that come to top of mind. I contend that a smaller, richer NCC would be better equipped to tackle these challenges than a combo of Kent & Sussex. NCC: More money, less territory to over see. K/S: Less money, more territory. Seems simple enough

It is often fun and occasionally irritating to banter over the upstate/downstate divide. I have seen it from both sides. A a downstate HS graduate, I was sometimes gently teased by my upstate counterparts bout being from a less urban area. So what: we have a great quality of life downstate and . . . the beaches! I simply asked them where they spent their summers. On the other hand, I received a great education upstate and the two times I worked in Wilmington, I could not have come close to the salary I made there in my field downstate.

I think most Delawareans appreciate and value the fact that the state would not be as culturally rich and diverse if it were anything other than its three counties in their current configuration. I am pleased to see that no Delawarean seems particularly interested in the offer the OP is proposing. If they have problems in MD, let them sort it out on their own. In Delaware, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware