U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,797,636 times

Advertisements

O.K. Let me thank you guys for all the services you provide. Now since you are providing all this let me mention there are a couple of major intersections without street lights. I would appreciate it if you would take care of that. It makes turning difficult at night. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 05:52 AM

165 posts, read 185,559 times
[quote=HarryBTL;30922800]Not really. The issue has been with MD not wanting to give up Ocean City because of the tourist dollars it brings in and that county gets boatloads of cash from the state as well ( For the jail etc ) on top of the tourist which makes it the one exception and thus lone county that wasn't as much in favor as the rest on the eastern shore of MD.

No matter how people in the area feel about Ocean City, what would Worcester County be like without Ocean City? The answer..... Somerset County.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:42 PM

625 posts, read 209,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This thread amounts to a trollish fantasy.

Then why did you respond? Why do you need to label the op as a troll?

Delaware is what it is: three counties with populations ranging from arch-conservative to ultra-progressive, .Maybe a small town in Texas would be more suitable.
Let's see, using the term 'progressive', instead of the more honest and accurate LIBERAL, and a dig at Texas.

Your own liberalism comes through loud and clear, thus making it obvious why you attacked the op on a personal level. It is what you people do.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:15 PM

263 posts, read 321,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
longnecker -The problem has to do with numbers and territory. Let's look soley at Delaware. Over half of the state's population lives in the smallest county. And the median household and family income in NCC is around 15% higher than in Kent and Sussex. That means NCC takes in a disproportionately higher share of taxes than do the southern two counties. This means that a stand alone NCC would be revenue rich and while Kent and Sussex would be revenue poor.

Why is this important:
- Taxes pay for road building and repairs. Could a stand alone Sussex/Kent have built the IR Bridge? Who will pay for snow removal? Remember, Kent and Sussex would be required to handle twice the geographic territory of NCC.
- Where do state funds for schools come from?
- Who pays to keep the state parks running?
- Will Del Community College be better sustainable in NCC or downstate? Will NCC keep UD and downstate build Del State into a flagship? And if so, who pays for that? And will downstate students who do want to go to UD have to pay out of state rates?
-Care for those less fortunate: NCC has 9% of its population on food stamps compared with 13% of the Kent County population and 14% of those in Sussex (Delaware | Food stamp recipients | Patchwork Nation | Online NewsHour | PBS).
- Kent/Sussex will need to set up their own state police organization. That's in addition to ALL other state infrastructure the three counties currently collaborate to maintain - elections, revenue, veteran's affairs, mental health, insurance commissioner, child protective services, national guard and on and on.

These are just some of the examples that come to top of mind. I contend that a smaller, richer NCC would be better equipped to tackle these challenges than a combo of Kent & Sussex. NCC: More money, less territory to over see. K/S: Less money, more territory. Seems simple enough

It is often fun and occasionally irritating to banter over the upstate/downstate divide. I have seen it from both sides. A a downstate HS graduate, I was sometimes gently teased by my upstate counterparts bout being from a less urban area. So what: we have a great quality of life downstate and . . . the beaches! I simply asked them where they spent their summers. On the other hand, I received a great education upstate and the two times I worked in Wilmington, I could not have come close to the salary I made there in my field downstate.

I think most Delawareans appreciate and value the fact that the state would not be as culturally rich and diverse if it were anything other than its three counties in their current configuration. I am pleased to see that no Delawarean seems particularly interested in the offer the OP is proposing. If they have problems in MD, let them sort it out on their own. In Delaware, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I found your post interesting and wanted to comment, but given busy schedule still need
to process.

Given the statistic that over half of DE's population lives in NCC, then given the NCC vs Kent/Sussex
dichotomy a few questions come to mind.

- your point focused on revenue, but the revenue difference can be explained by difference in
cost of living. Certainly there are outlier such as Centreville, Hockessin, Lewes, etc but
if you examine the difference in housing, food, services that may indeed account for the 15%
difference

- Given the >50% of population, that's over 50% of DE's population contributing to the decay
of the Kent/Sussex roadways. Given traffic patterns, particularly vacation day-trippers and
workday commuters, more people from outside Kent/Sussex use their roads than live there.

- you mentioned that Kent/Sussex would need to build their own state police. Who owns the
DSP. The headquarters are in Dover, so one could argue it it NCC that would have to build
their own. Also given population size ( > 50%) more of the state resources for DSP
are used by NCC versus Kent/Sussex, so conceivably the Kent/Sussex cost for state police
would decrease

- Agriculture, given that more of the farmland is in Kent/Sussex than NCC, NCC would pay more
to feed itself. But, for imported goods, the port of Wilmington is in NCC. But, Kent/Sussex
could easily take advantage of other ports- Baltimore, Chesapeake, etc.

- The DelTech main campus is also in Kent County. Again given the over 50% population in
NCC, the cost of maintaining the campus would reduce.

- given the flagship/non-flagship designation, perhaps as a single entity with 900,000 population
DE is simply too small to maintain two flagships. Maintenance of a flagship campus with a number
of other non-flagships is not unique to the state of DE. In Massachusetts UMass-Amherst is the
flagship while UMass-Dartmouth, UMass-Boston, UMass-Lowell are good schools and provide
coverage of the different regions of Massachusetts. With a north-to south measure of 90 miles,
DE may simply be too small to reasonably maintain two flagships. This impacts in terms of
an unwillingness by the state to support duplicate programs.

- snow removal, you ignore the percentage of Kent/Sussex land mass that is not roadway.
While the land mass in Kent/Sussex is larger, it would be interesting to understand what
percentage of it is actual roadway.

- NCC has a higher population density, so given simple supply and demand cost of living
increases. But, with that increased density comes additional issues such as crime
(police, probation, justice system) and other services- snow removal, community center,
library, public schools, etc.
Given that NCC has over 50% of population their increase need for services costs more.

A great question is who owns what?

Does NCC own the state police requiring Kent/Sussex to build their own?
Or does Kent/Sussex own the state police.

Who "owns" DelDot?
Who owns social services?
And the many other services.

What about when NCC residents move to Kent/Sussex to retire?
They don't have needs for K-12 education because perhaps their children are grown,
but the do access elder service- healthcare, assistance, etc. So how do you amortize
those costs.

In the latter years, people access the healthcare system more? Would Kent/Sussex
entity then recoup the cost for people who spent their working years in NCC but
came to Kent/Sussex to retire?

So, while I don't have answer and don't fully claim to understand enough to have
a more well formed opinion, I do think there are more complicated factors involved
that you state.

I look forward to your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware