U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,173,557 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about Colorado splitting into two states, my thoughts keep coming back to moving to Delaware to escape from the People's Republic of Maryland. I see and hear of so many people planning to make that move, because of the fanatically liberal government here. Since I live on the Eastern Shore of MD already, and most of the ES people are more conservative, I wonder if the people in Delaware might be conducive to taking us in, rather than have a influx of more people moving into a small state.

I know my family would be happy to make the change, especially my wife, who does not want to move any further from the grandchildren when we both become retired in a few years.

So, what say you, DE residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,788,231 times
I would love to see DelMarVa become a state.I'd be more than willing to let New Castle County go to PA..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 AM

After thinking more on it, I believe the property values would climb for those MD ES residents closer to the Bay Bridge if it were part of Delaware. More people would want to live over the bridge, even with the higher tolls, if they knew they wouldn't have to move when they retire to escape Maryland's high income taxes.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,788,231 times
So what about Kent Island in the middle?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So what about Kent Island in the middle?
That's in Queen Anne's County, part of the Eastern Shore. 4.4 mile bridge on the west end and about a .2 mile bridge on the east end. No Brainer. Especially since that is where I live!!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Quote:
....to escape from the People's Republic of Maryland

heheh.......interesting way of putting it!...

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
I would think long and hard before Delaware takes on the Eastern Shore. The Eastern Shore (particularly the lower shore) has some of the worst unemployment and poverty in the state:

Unemployment by County in Maryland
Maryland Poverty Rate by County

As for the state of DelMarVa:
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I would love to see DelMarVa become a state.I'd be more than willing to let New Castle County go to PA..
It turns out NCC is the most prosperous county in the state: http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/unit...-poverty#table. Although the citizens of the new state might be better culturally aligned in this arrangement, who's gonna pay the bills?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,318,057 times
This thread amounts to a trollish fantasy. The Eastern Shore includes some of the oldest settlements in Maryland and I'm sure has no interest in being absorbed into Delaware. As a resident of New Castle County, I'd seriously object to becoming part of Pennsylvania. In fact, if such a ridiculous fantasy were to become reality (when pigs fly), I'd be moving to another State pronto.

Delaware is what it is: three counties with populations ranging from arch-conservative to ultra-progressive, making for an overall moderately liberal-progressive State. If you don't like the People's Republic of Maryland, I dare say you wouldn't care for Delaware either. Maybe a small town in Texas would be more suitable.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 AM

494 posts, read 673,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This thread amounts to a trollish fantasy. The Eastern Shore includes some of the oldest settlements in Maryland and I'm sure has no interest in being absorbed into Delaware. As a resident of New Castle County, I'd seriously object to becoming part of Pennsylvania. In fact, if such a ridiculous fantasy were to become reality (when pigs fly), I'd be moving to another State pronto.

Delaware is what it is: three counties with populations ranging from arch-conservative to ultra-progressive, making for an overall moderately liberal-progressive State. If you don't like the People's Republic of Maryland, I dare say you wouldn't care for Delaware either. Maybe a small town in Texas would be more suitable.
Not really. There has been plenty of talk over the past couple of decades about this sort of thing happening. Most in DE has supported it. The issue has been with MD not wanting to give up Ocean City because of the tourist dollars it brings in and that county gets boatloads of cash from the state as well ( For the jail etc ) on top of the tourist which makes it the one exception and thus lone county that wasn't as much in favor as the rest on the eastern shore of MD.

Oh and all knows that N.DE is what gives DE most of it's liberal taint. Granted in recent years more liberals have moved further south and or into S.DE from DC/Philly and other liberals areas.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM

111 posts, read 128,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Not really. There has been plenty of talk over the past couple of decades about this sort of thing happening. Most in DE has supported it. The issue has been with MD not wanting to give up Ocean City because of the tourist dollars it brings in and that county gets boatloads of cash from the state as well ( For the jail etc ) on top of the tourist which makes it the one exception and thus lone county that wasn't as much in favor as the rest on the eastern shore of MD.

Oh and all knows that N.DE is what gives DE most of it's liberal taint. Granted in recent years more liberals have moved further south and or into S.DE from DC/Philly and other liberals areas.

People can talk about DELMARVA becoming the 51st state all they want. It's not going to happen. Article IV: Section 3 of the United States Constitution states:

" New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress. "

No chance the state legislatures of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia will concurrently allow it nor the US Congress approve it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware