U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM

79 posts, read 83,268 times

Advertisements

I have been attracted to DE. for the last year or so, and was actively looking to buy a home for somewhere under $250k ......Having no luck selling my home for a DECENT price here in NY left me not looking as hard in DE .... After some consideration, I figured that I should probably act on securing a home in DE, and renting my home here in NY ....When deciding to do this , I again started looking at homes in DE just recently .....

Is it me , or have a LOT of the homes in the under $250k bracket get bought up toward the end of Winter into early Spring ? .... Is this common for Real Estate activity in DE ?
There must be a LOT of people relocating to DE !!.....I can see why , but also leaves me now wishing I had bought a home down there this last Winter !!.....Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
Is it me , or have a LOT of the homes in the under $250k bracket get bought up toward the end of Winter into early Spring ? .... Is this common for Real Estate activity in DE ?
There must be a LOT of people relocating to DE !!.....I can see why , but also leaves me now wishing I had bought a home down there this last Winter !!.....Jim
End of winter and early spring have always been the big buying/selling seasons in the real estate market. Yes, there are a LOT of people relocating to Delaware, especially New Yorkers. So, you should be right at home.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
Homes in my area sell like hotcakes in the early spring, with this spring being especially impressive. The market has really picked up around here, and the prices are coming back up as well. Lots of New Yorkers here in Ocean View too.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the confirmation guys ......Looks like I'll have to wait until Winter to buy ...Hopefully the market will have more to offer in my price catagory by then ..... I'm constantly on the fence about purchasing another home and renting my current home ....I guess I just have to do like the comercial says " Just Do It !! " .......Jim

Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 AM

103 posts, read 287,076 times
Default Kent County Is The Place To Look

Middle Kent Co. and lower kent county area builders will build the house of your dreams for that price point. Or you can purchase a slightly used home for about that cost. The New Castle Co. housing market shot up to ridiculous prices over the last 8 or so months. Location, location location. But, Kent Co. has lots to offer with less traffic and easy access to highways to get you where you need to go. Check it out. Dover, Magnolia, Camden, Wyoming, Felton, Milford, etc. Good luck and be sure to know that there are a lot of mobil home parks that were here long before the developers built housing developments around them. Some people are put off by them. Kent County is filled with a diverse community of people and a lot of military families since the Dover Air Force Base is right there in the middle. Do your homework and check out Facebook for pages on the communities you are looking to buy in. You’ll get invaluable insight into the ways of the community by what the posters complain about, etc. Oh, and HOA’s…buyer beware! Every community is different. Get to know the one you are buying into. It can be a living nightmare in an instant. The older communities that are finished being built are usually more lax than the ones still building. You can not believe the power they wield. Seriously, its like the Wild Wild West. It’s their way or the highway with no recourse because the government is very small down here and they all know one another. All in all, there is a house in Kent Co waiting for you and your family to move into. Where I live in Magnolia, we drive to the beach in 45 minutes flat. We get to Middletown in 40 minutes and Newark in about 55 minutes. We are about an hour and a half from center city Philly. Again, good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM

cgerlach1,
Thanks for the tips ..... I don't think that I could EVER move into a home dictated to by a HOA !!.... I am the last person to allow some HOA to dictate how I should live and what color I should paint my house .....I'm better off in a more secluded area with as few neighbors as possible .... I am moving AWAY from NY, therefore anything that does NOT resemble NY , I will embrace !!..... Jim

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM

356 posts, read 737,665 times
Hey synthnut,
I was in a very similar position as you (even from NY). I was ready to move about a year ago but was forced to stay due to family circumstances, but hopefully it will be soon. I have actively been looking in Newark (a very specific area) and have found some homes. What I found is, YES some sold....but more often than not...the ones that came off the market eventually went back on the market if I waited long enough. Unfortunately, by waiting I have missed a couple of homes that would have been perfect, but there is not much I can do. Good luck in your hunt. I have been a NYer all my life (I am 55)....I lived in the City for my first 39 years and the rest on Long Island. NY is done as far as I am concerned. I look forward to the move and a new life for the rest of my life. I have gone to DE at least 15-20 times over the last three years so I have a really good feel for it. My son lives in DC so I usually stay in DE when I am on my way there or back. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
cgerlach1,
Thanks for the tips ..... I don't think that I could EVER move into a home dictated to by a HOA !!.... I am the last person to allow some HOA to dictate how I should live and what color I should paint my house .....I'm better off in a more secluded area with as few neighbors as possible .... I am moving AWAY from NY, therefore anything that does NOT resemble NY , I will embrace !!..... Jim
There are many areas with homes just built along the roads in the still rural areas. No HOA. One caution there just remember while no one is telling you what you can do your neighbor is also unrestricted.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are many areas with homes just built along the roads in the still rural areas. No HOA. One caution there just remember while no one is telling you what you can do your neighbor is also unrestricted.
So true.
On the other hand, I've seen some pretty nice subdivisions having HOA/restrictions. When you leave the entrances to some of those subdivisions, chicken houses, run down properties, and other are immediately visible, or even at the subdivision entrances/exits. Sometimes, from 'inside' the subdivision, views of properties in disrepair are noticed from a distance. Things change, and sometimes new construction in subdivisions having HO Associations look great. In time.....well

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM

103 posts, read 287,076 times
Default Retirees Relocating With Pensions

I wish someone had warned me that when we relocated from PA to get away from our high property and school taxes that we would be pummeled with a 6.95% income tax on our pensions which are taxed as income in Delaware. Yes! Delaware does tax out of state pensions so, figure that into the equation whilst you are calculating your overall cost of living. We are exactly where we started, tax wise, and missing all the things we gave up by moving. Moving back will cost a small fortune since it cost $6,000.00 for the moving truck alone. Factor in the high, 3%, transfer tax, the tax you pay for registering your cars…check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware