U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 PM

4,493 posts, read 5,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
OK - so I know that I'll have Byler's, Fifers, Haans and more, but what about dairy products. Any dairies that also sell directly to the public for fresh eggs, milk, butter, etc?

Charley
I have bought fresh eggs, butter, honey, and fresh chicken from the Amish. I don't buy the milk, because it's not pasteurized. They do business every day but Sunday, of course. If you take a ride west of Dover, you'll see the Amish farms and they have signs at the end of their lanes advertising what they sell. There are also greenhouses out that way so you can buy their vegetable plants, mums/pumpkins in the fall, and some sell Christmas trees. Then they sell their fresh vegetables from stands at the end of their lanes all summer.There's an Amish quilt shop out on Rose Valley Road and the owners are always happy to answer questions regarding where to go, for what you want.

Delly

Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,007,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I have bought fresh eggs, butter, honey, and fresh chicken from the Amish. I don't buy the milk, because it's not pasteurized. They do business every day but Sunday, of course. If you take a ride west of Dover, you'll see the Amish farms and they have signs at the end of their lanes advertising what they sell. There are also greenhouses out that way so you can buy their vegetable plants, mums/pumpkins in the fall, and some sell Christmas trees. Then they sell their fresh vegetables from stands at the end of their lanes all summer.There's an Amish quilt shop out on Rose Valley Road and the owners are always happy to answer questions regarding where to go, for what you want.

Delly
Perfect! Thanks Delly!

Charley

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM

15,457 posts, read 7,265,816 times
Quote:

Delly
Really Delly. I'm interested in the fresh produce stands. Would this be off Rose Valley Road?
I'll have to try that in the summer.
always looking for good produce.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM

I love the idea of being able to support local business so I'm glad to continue learning about the various businesses available.

Charley

Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM

405 posts, read 909,815 times
So I would imagine it's organic and they don't use pesticides right? Are the prices better than in stores?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 AM

These Amish farms are sprinkled throughout the Dover Area, which includes Westville Road out towards Marydel, Yoder Drive, Rose Valley, and the West Dover roads. They are not really, what I would call, local businesses, Charley. They don't have fixed hours. You'll just see a sign at the end of their lane, sometimes, when they want to sell something. Once you find a farm you like buying from, you might develop a repore with them and will know when and what they have to offer. And, you never know until you ride out there, if the sign is out. You don't drive up their lane or knock on their door. And yes, everything is organic, with their chickens and ducks being free range. As far as prices, I don't know how to compare fresh grown from grocery store prices. But, they don't sell their produce cheap, in my opinion.

As far as greenhouses, they are more of a business type thing. But, even some of those are not always open, as I've gone before only to find no sign of life and the greenhouse doors locked. Usually one of the children just comes out of their house to take my money, and it's not a place I'm comfortable browsing around in. I just pick out my tomato/pepper plants quickly, and leave.

We made a bad mistake many years ago, and were driving west of Dover when we saw signs indicating an auction up ahead. So, we drove a couple of miles and there was a farm auction with many Amish buggies and people in a field......lots of chatter. My husband and I walked towards the crowd and the Amish auctioneer was holding up this beautiful wooden bucket. People were bidding, and then I rose my hand to bid. A silence fell over the crowd, and we didn't know what happened. I looked around, then noticed we were the only non-Amish people there. The auctioneer put down the bucket, and everybody bowed their heads. A very old Amish man came towards us. "This is for family" he said. "I'm sorry, please leave". We were mortified! So we hurried back to our car in the deafening silence of embarrassment. They did not resume the auction and chatter until we started our car. What a lesson I learned!!! Put this in your memory banks!

Last edited by rdlr; 01-20-2008 at 02:27 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 AM

113 posts, read 312,828 times
Hi Mary, Charley, Delly, Eliza, and others!

I'm back from the West Coast, which I realize most of you may consider the WRONG coast , for about 10 minutes! (More like 6 days!)

I can't begin, of course, to catch up with posts, so maybe a few comments here and there. During our 15 years in Dover, we've bought directly from the Amish, when we've noticed they've been selling, and have especially loved chemical-free strawberries, delish tomatoes (to supplement our own), and, for a time, eggs. Have to tell you that you've got to be sure the eggs haven't been left in warm places, in summer, of course, because we've had some bad ones. Members of our family who've been here 30 years have had the same problem, but for a time enjoyed a weekly delivery by buggy of Amish eggs.

Delly, I think the Amish quilt shop may have moved from Rose Valley Road. We bought several quilts there years ago. I'll check to see if they've moved. There's an Amish furniture store near where the quilt shop used to be, but I think little or none of that furniture is built locally, and I'm not sure it's Amish made. Our family bought, years ago, beautiful cherry furniture, built by Mennonites.

Byler's is fun and fascinating, but do watch expiration dates on anything you buy. We've found products about 2 years expired on many occasions.

Hope all of you are thriving!

Lori (Julie's sister! Julie's doing fine back home in NJ, where they now own a home.)

Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 AM

All good things to mention, Julie! Thank you.

You are so right about refrigeration problems. I always ask about the age of the eggs, but still have gotten some bad ones, also. There's something to be said for today's preservative measures and Department of Public Health inspections of foods we buy in grocery stores. I don't buy pies or cakes made by Amish, because I see them bake and cook in their homes. The little children help with the baking and you know they are not always running to wash their hands, especially since there's no faucet to turn on. Besides that, many use lard for their shortening. While the Amish are quaint and admired for their purity, they have similar problems with their youth, as we do. The older are struggling to raise their children in yesterday's world, and many of the children are rebelling and leaving their sect, or worse yet, being turning away by their family. It's not unusual, at Christmas time, to see Amish teens driving buggies strung with battery operated Christmas lights. So parents everywhere are wringing their hands!

About furniture, Julie. Around here, on Rt. 13 there are a few hawkers advertising "Amish Made Furniture".....which we know, is not. The Kenton Chair Shop is still in business, and I'm not so sure about that, anymore, regarding Amish built. Buyer Beware, applies everywhere.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
Hi Mary, Charley, Delly, Eliza, and others!
Hi Lori!

Welcome back. I hope you're doing well.

In your absence, you were still mentioned in our Christmas poem

Delaware Off-Topic

I'm glad you checked in on us.

Charley

Old 01-20-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
We made a bad mistake many years ago, and were driving west of Dover when we saw signs indicating an auction up ahead.
Delly, you've given us quite an education here. Thank you very much for sharing that story. I can't even imagine how you felt. I know that your intentions were good ones.

Thanks so much for all you teach us!

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware