U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM

902 posts, read 3,214,449 times

Advertisements

CaroleM, our meals together come in spits and spurts... typically, when an "out of towner" is in themselves. Once in a while, some of us regular gals get together on short notice for lunch, as we are planning on this Friday.

Will try to post here at C-D about the next one... perhaps you can make it. We'll aim for a Friday, to give you optimum opportunity!

Mary

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 PM

81 posts, read 467,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Dawn....I use to live in Oak Orchard.

CaroleM
Well, that is right down the road a piece from me. My husband and I went to Warwick the other day, there is a boat ramp that I go to just to be quiet.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM

55 posts, read 159,845 times
I was in Delaware last week looking at 55+ communities. Since I had not been in Delaware in decades I was also checking out the area to see if it was what I wanted. I found it to be absolutely wonderful - polite people, nice weather, dolphins at the beach, good food, affordable housing and lots of 55+ developments being built. I discovered Ollie's Bargain Outlet on Route 13 in Dover, great prices on all sorts of closeout items. I went to the Dover slots about 4 times and only discovered the quiet slot room on the 4th floor on my 3rd visit. I ate at the Hollywood Diner, a 1950's stainless steel diner in Dover. I will definitely retire in Delaware and feel so much better now that I know I can afford a nice home in another state to retire in.

Eileen in CT.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,550,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
I was in Delaware last week looking at 55+ communities. Since I had not been in Delaware in decades I was also checking out the area to see if it was what I wanted. I found it to be absolutely wonderful - polite people, nice weather, dolphins at the beach, good food, affordable housing and lots of 55+ developments being built. I discovered Ollie's Bargain Outlet on Route 13 in Dover, great prices on all sorts of closeout items. I went to the Dover slots about 4 times and only discovered the quiet slot room on the 4th floor on my 3rd visit. I ate at the Hollywood Diner, a 1950's stainless steel diner in Dover. I will definitely retire in Delaware and feel so much better now that I know I can afford a nice home in another state to retire in.

Eileen in CT.
What community are you interested in?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

55 posts, read 159,845 times
Hi Elizamary: I liked Southern Meadows and Barclay Farms (in Camden) the best. Nobles Pond does not have a pool yet, but I am sure they will in the future. They are in the first phase of building now. Barclay Farms is nicely located, right near Route 13, and is just about sold out, so is a stable community. I would not want to be one of the first people in a new development and if it doesn't sell well to seniors, it could become an all-ages community or have rentals mixed in. I have seen that happen here in Conn. Anyway I did not see anywhere in Delaware (55+ communities) where I would NOT want to live - they are all nice.

Eileen in CT

Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
Hi Elizamary: I liked Southern Meadows and Barclay Farms (in Camden) the best. Nobles Pond does not have a pool yet, but I am sure they will in the future. They are in the first phase of building now. Barclay Farms is nicely located, right near Route 13, and is just about sold out, so is a stable community. I would not want to be one of the first people in a new development and if it doesn't sell well to seniors, it could become an all-ages community or have rentals mixed in. I have seen that happen here in Conn. Anyway I did not see anywhere in Delaware (55+ communities) where I would NOT want to live - they are all nice.

Eileen in CT
I live in Southern Meadows and we were one of the first to move in. In fact, we were number 6.
I never thought of a 55+ changing over but I see it is quite possible. Our community is filling up fast so I don't see that happening here. At least I hope not cuz we bought in a 55+ so we could live amongst 55+.
BTW did you check out Wild Meadows?
It has been great living in DE. I never had so as many friends as I have since we moved here. Gets tiresome sometimes but I really shouldn't complain cuz I love em all.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 AM

64 posts, read 118,890 times
I live in New Castle, hi all

Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
I live in New Castle, hi all

Hi Chase and a big welcome Hows New Castle?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 AM

64 posts, read 118,890 times
Eh, it's ok i suppose....lol

close to wilmington for work for the wife, i work in newark, so its pretty centralized. There's a little much crime in my area though so we are looking to move in a year or so and the school district (colonial) leaves our only option with sending the kids to private school.

we are tryin though, just adopted a highway in our area and doing community service to try and spruce the place up

Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
Eh, it's ok i suppose....lol

) leaves our only option with sending the kids to private school.

we are tryin though, just adopted a highway in our area and doing community service to try and spruce the place up
Really, I'm impressed. You just don't talk it, you are doing it.

I used to live in Philly. I'm sure you heard of all the crime there. My kids went to private school too. I was too afraid to send them to public. Of course they are 30 and 32 now. But even back then I would have nightmares of them going to public school. Well, we do what what have.
Now i'm living in Kent county and loving the wide open spaces. We recently retired.
nice to meet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or