Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM

46 posts, read 111,003 times

Advertisements

If I can figure out how to post photos, I'll put them on. Thanks for all the congrats!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
Congrats, KatieKate, to both you AND your son! Our daughter is coming to Annapolis in June for the summer seminar... one of the early steps in the "application" process to the Academy. She will not graduate high school until 2009, and our fingers will be crossed for the next year that she gets into the school.

I can really relate to your concerns about your son throughout high school; our oldest child was the same (still is in a lot of ways when visiting home and family)... we too have prayed over THAT child! Currently doing pretty good, all in all; in the 3rd year of college so we're content at THAT.

Again, congrats... enjoy graduation and post some pics as you can!

Mary

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I probably should have stayed in bed, but it is pretty boring and so I ventured out to check email and messages here at City Data. Sadly what I found here over the last few days, in some cases, is appalling.

I am the person who stated that once I started living in, shopping in, being entertained in, registering in and paying taxes to Delaware, that makes me a Delawarean. I do not need to be humored. Once I reside in Delaware and do all of the above, that defines me as a resident of Delaware. The current term for a person residing in Delaware is a Delawarean. Nowhere did I say "NATIVE Delawarean". I am fully aware that I will not have been here since dirt.

The land lease vs. owning the land thread should probably be closed now as it has denegrated into a personal argument between those who do and those who don't. The mutual respect necessary for a discussion thread like this to remain open is absent from the conversation and that's just a shame. It's starting to look a lot like the Politics forum and it will chase away good people.

As far as all of the negatives recently mentioned in various threads, it's really a shame that this is the picture being portrayed for outsiders to view. Well, regardless of what gets posted here - it is still my intent to move to Delaware as soon as circumstances allow. I know I will find friendly people. I know that I will enjoy myself in my new home state. I know that there will be thousands of others who follow me. Regardless of the posts designed to dissuade the migration, it will occur.

No where did anyone say that they were "not wanting to be bothered with children, teens, bikes, cars, an active workforce, and other annoying activity", nor did they refer to such items as annoying activity. I'll be very happy without the noise found in standard communities. That does not make me someone who would ever feel bothered by children or workers or others - nor does it make me less mobile! It is not necessary to insult people who are choosing the 55+ lifestyle or to portray them in such a negative, insulting manner. The ongoing negative opinions of the choices that some people have made - or will make - is pointless.

I don't know how long this message will last because it's not my usual friendly or information commentary and it might not be welcome here. But it's time for the personal animous amongst the members of this thread to cease. I am very sorry if there are some members who will be displeased by my comments - and I do apologize if I've offended anyone - but enough is enough.

Charley

Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
First off let me just say I love Delaware. I am headed there in a couple of weeks and I head there every year.........so do my children. A wonderful place.
I don't remember reading on here that it wasn't a wonderful place. I praise Angola Bay over and over........fantastic. The beaches, fantastic.......Shoppng! Great.......

There is not much not to love about this state. It has everything one could love.
I've never met an unfriendly person in the state, and I don't know where that comes from. Delaware is friendly, and seems to except everyone from everywhere with no problem. Ocean, Ocean everywhere, how could one not love it?

The thread was titled Lease VS Non Lease........and there is so much for people to know about both sides of this. Of course, because of its title.........you will get both sides.
I think some only want to hear the "pros" but...........as we all know, its not all a bed of roses........there, is like everywhere else some "cons"

Personally I don't mind hearing both sides, I am fine with that, completely.
Watching the results of what has happened in P/Nets has made it necessary to explain what can possibly happen at a land lease community. It is not enjoyable to talk about at all. But, if you knew a few people in there who are stunned by the increases thrown at them...........you'd try to let the world know too. It is heartbreaking. Its heartbreaking because the costs were beyond what one would encounter out of that development.
It is putting people out into the street........and/or leaving them hungry.

Some people "did say" they didn't want kids around, noise and such.......thats ok, that is their own personal choice. Its ok......fine, to each his own.......

The thread was not in the least personal. It is about people who like lease, and those who don't. Some reasons for and some against. I am fine hearing both sides.
I don't think the very important talk about leases should be shut down. I think that people shouldn't take points personally. I know when I talk I have a certain community in mind, and its not the home area of any of the DE posters here.
Actually, I was the one deleted and edited for my information on leasing....after requests and .......I just turned my cheek. Because, the information is important for all to have.
The good, the bad, and the wonderful.............
I think many of us agree there is some good and bad in the lease situation.......
Its not an argument at all........its a very interesting discusion......I hope it stays.
If it means I have to "agree" with things I don't agree on.......to make everyone a happy camper.......I can't. But, I am always willing to gladly listen.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I've never met an unfriendly person in the state, and I don't know where that comes from. Delaware is friendly, and seems to except everyone from everywhere with no problem.
My husband and I can't wait for race weekend! Not that I'm a Nascar fanatic, but the people we meet from all over the country are such a joy! It starts Thursday night, May 29th for us, and extends through Sunday night. We visit our friends' camp sites for burgers, sizzlin' steaks, and steamed crabs/shrimp. And we've had these long distance friends for over 15 years. I always take Delaware information (new maps, brochures) to the camp sites we visit, and so far, the count is up to 60 local newspaper subscriptions I pay for, on their behalf. I said once, visitors out number locals 100/1 but my husband thinks it's much more than that! The variety of people from other states we've met, only enhances our lives.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Good morning all.

I am sorry to see the level of bickering that has been going on in the Delaware forum for the last week. Normally, this forum is so pleasant and peaceful. I know that everyone involved truly cares about Delaware, and enjoys sharing information here about Delaware. There will always be differences of opinion, but that is something to expect, and respect.

I am not going to close the land lease thread. It's one of the most helpful threads in the Delaware forum. Land leasing is an excellent choice for some, and a terrible choice for others. Land leasing is not something many people have a lot of knowledge about, which is one of the reasons why this thread is so important to keep around. There is no problem with having debate in the land lease thread. Debate is not a bad thing; it should allow for all sides of a topic to be presented, and in the end, the reader will have to decide what is best for him/her. But bickering, snide comments, passive-aggressive behaviors, and baiting/trolling/flaming posts in the land lease thread or any thread are absolutely unacceptable.

Please, if a thread is starting to get on your nerves or upset you, take it as a sign to step away from it for a bit. If a post seems out of line or inappropriate, report it or send a DM to me.

Thanks for reading...and I hope everyone has a terrific Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Thanks Christtina.......I think the thread is one of the most important threads for people moving into the state too. It is just the pros and cons.......What is good and what is bad........I'd love for people not to take it personally. Most likely the discusion is not about your location, your home, or your lifestyle. Mainly its information about leases, rules, locations, future issues, looking forward........who benefits.......the tax implications......and lots of other facts.
People need to know the facts to make this important life decision. Its a big cost and a huge investment to get wrong.
I like hearing both sides, even when I don't agree with some.......
Happy Memorial Day Weekend too.........I think the Sun is coming this way soon!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
I won't take up posting space to make the same points Summering has presented. I agree.

Thank you, Christina. I sincerely appreciate your consideration. I wish you a nice weekend as well.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
And, Christina, thanks from the old "Local Yocal" from Delaware! I respect your opinions and thoughts, and we certainly admire your ability to step back, and make objective decisions. Happy Memorial Day to you, also!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Just a quick hello to my friends in Delaware - and those outside the state who read the Delaware forum - as I spend a few moments out of bed. (I need to do that a few times each day.) I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware