U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 AM

271 posts, read 902,069 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who contributed recipe suggestions. As I mentioned, this isn't for the Fourth, though we will be involved in a picnic over the weekend. We're all set for the holiday, and I, too, have made one or another version of the red/white/and blue desserts many times over the years. They are festive!

My food challenge is for late July, and everything has to be transported quite a distance. Summering, I like your version of apple salad, which we used to call Waldorf salad. I've never known it with grapes added, and that sounds yum, so will try it.

CaroleM, did you mentioned taking hard boiled eggs? I think that's a good idea. Deviled eggs can be a nuisance to transport, but hardboiled eggs can be eaten as they are, or quickly transformed.

I've always wondered about Little Heaven. How did it get its name?

Mary, I've just noted your schedule for the holiday weekend, and all I can say is take care on the roads! As you know, up and down the coast, almost everyone is doing something that involves traveling to the beach at this time. That's the main reason for scheduling our get-together in later July. This weekend, we won't be straying more than a couple miles from home!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 AM

376 posts, read 879,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post

Well no one has to worry about me eating all the eggs. Not an egg person. I know a lot of people love deviled eggs but I steer clear of them.
And I hope I did not offend anyone by saying I do not like eggs. It is not my intent, just a preference.
We all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food. Gosh!............look at the cereal aisle in the supermarket........unforturnately there is not too much I don't like.......LOL.........not a good thing for my weight.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,548,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
We all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food. Gosh!............look at the cereal aisle in the supermarket........unforturnately there is not too much I don't like.......LOL.........not a good thing for my weight.

I know, the cereal asile is amazing. There is not much I don't like either Carol Just eggs and coconut. Oh and Pineapple too. But that is about it.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM

7,330 posts, read 10,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
I've always wondered about Little Heaven. How did it get its name?
Anniebleu.....Lil' Heaven was our old stomping grounds, when the Rainbow Inn was flourishing. Fresh crabs, shrimp, oysters, and fish were readily available, along with a host of other local entrees. It was a home-town place, overlooked by tourists because of it's shabby exterior. We loved it that way! Next to the Rainbow Inn were a couple of produce stands, open until midnight. We made a day out of North Bowers Beach fishing, then to the Heartbreak Hotel in North Bowers for lunch, more fishing, the Rainbow Inn for dinner, and shopping for produce. At the Heartbreak Hotel, we sat at the bar and ordered. So much water had come into that place over the years, that the foundation was crooked, warped and slanting. When sitting at the bar, your stool was crooked, the bar was crooked, and there was a "fun house" effect, enjoyed by all! Sadly, Route 1 changed all of that, and the Rainbow Inn was demolished a few years ago, and also the Heartbreak Hotel in Bowers. I don't know what the delay is now, but SR1 is slated to come through Lil' Heaven, big time! That area has become a bottleneck for traffic. Here's a little history blurp from Delaware Online.

Little Heaven
Little Heaven, which locals say is struggling since Del. 1 opened, was a name applied originally to a group of cabins a local farmer built in the 1870s for Irish workers in his orchards. A nearby community called Little Hell has vanished. Little Heaven is a frequent Delaware entry in lists of odd American place names.
================================================
Here's a great Delaware book to read
Delaware: A Guide to the First State
By Federal Writers' Project

Last edited by rdlr; 06-30-2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,462,130 times
rdlr, Do you know anything about that house that sits on the right hand side of the road going south at the light at Little Heaven? It looks like an old mansion, but it has been unoccupied for many years. The overgrowth is winning, and the house seems to be less visible each year. I've always been curious about the place.

Also, there is an old, stone home in Fredericka that is extraordinary!! Do you know anything about that one?

Very old homes in rural mid to southern DE are rare. There is that one, back on Route 9 (I think) that I've heard called "The Huguenot House".

I guess, since most of the homes must have been frame built, they didn't last as long as the old, stone homes in northern DE and into PA. There just ain't no stones south of the canal in DE.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 AM

Hi Roc,
I know which house you mean in Little Heaven, and there are some backhoes in there cleaning out the brambles, or least, there were. Yes, that's an interesting place and I've had my eye on it, also.

The stone house in Frederica, I've been in. That's the one on the north side of the town, down that narrow street, right?

The Huguenot House....is that the one near Taylors Bridge? I've read about that one, but never been inside of it. I love these old places.

How about that one right in Little Creek, the old stone/brick one, on the east side? I believe it might be state owned, now. So much to explore, so little time.......

Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Little Heaven

HP is at that light. My place backs up to that field behind the house. Right now it is covered with wheat which is soon to be harvested, if not already. A few months ago the field was filled with snow geese. Beautiful sight to see. I hope the owner/farmer keeps it that way for a long, long time. Next will be a field of corn.
I have not noticed the house you all are talking about but I will be on the lookout for it. When we merge from Clapham to Rt. 1 all we see is traffic.
I seem to remember the Rainbow Inn. If my memory serves me right .......we use to stop there on the way to or from the beach.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
HP is at that light. My place backs up to that field behind the house. Right now it is covered with wheat which is soon to be harvested, if not already. A few months ago the field was filled with snow geese. Beautiful sight to see. I hope the owner/farmer keeps it that way for a long, long time. Next will be a field of corn.
I have not noticed the house you all are talking about but I will be on the lookout for it. When we merge from Clapham to Rt. 1 all we see is traffic.
I seem to remember the Rainbow Inn. If my memory serves me right .......we use to stop there on the way to or from the beach.
Carole, that house is just past HP, going south, as your merge onto Route 1, on the right.

As beautiful as snow geese are, they are very destructive to farmers. I understand how picturesque they appear, but when we had our farm, they were a nightmare. They love wheat fields, and will pull the root of the wheat out, one by one. We lost many a bushel of wheat to those beauties! Our German Shepherds were kept busy chasing them away, but the birds always came back for dinner.

Corn is planted in May and harvested in September-October. So, the farmer may be alternating the crops, which is what they do. Perhaps next, he'll put in a cover crop for the winter, which will give you a nice green view. You'll have those snow geese back!

Last edited by rdlr; 07-01-2008 at 06:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I know, the cereal asile is amazing. There is not much I don't like either Carol Just eggs and coconut. Oh and Pineapple too. But that is about it.
By golly...........and I was just about to make you some Pineapple Muffins......LOL............

Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,548,638 times
Quote:
By golly...........and I was just about to make you some Pineapple Muffins......LOL............
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Was you going to top them off with coconut too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or