U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times

Advertisements

Uh, it's warm during the winter (for one thing). That seems to appeal to a lot of people around here. But I've got other problems with Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
brava4--He wants to move to southwest FL because the COL is lower than it is here and we can buy a very nice home outright (our mortgage will be paid off right before he retires), no mortage. We will get a lot more for our money compared to here at the DE beaches.....though we don't want bigger, just fancier and with an inground pool. Of course, his pension won't be taxed by Florida either, but it would be in DE.

We picked the southwest area because it has a lot of "stuff" like we have here, as far as stores, restaurants, festivals, ongoing events, etc. The beaches are much better than Delaware's in all aspects. It's also a very biker-friendly area, with many trails and parks. Basically, the SW area is a lot like home, just a little better. Of course, every place has its flaws, and I already have found a few for Florida in general--but I'll save that for another thread .

We did not want northern or central Florida because it was too rednecky and bible-thumping for us (maybe not for others).....some people like this, but we don't. Oh, and it's hot and HUMID. We don't want southeast Florida (Miami area) because it's overpopulated, there's too much crime, and there are a lot of aggressive "city types" there from the north--again, not what we're looking for. The southwest is more laid back and not as overpopulated and overbearing--right up our alley! We have also considered the Florida Keys, but my husband isn't sold on that idea.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:05 PM

287 posts, read 473,703 times
Default Cape May

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You really need to get out more. Rehoboth is really NOT a national gay resort destination. That honour would go to places like Provincetown ("P-town"), Mass.; Fort Lauderdale;Key West; Fire Island (though that is still most heavily frequented by New Yorkers, it does have a particular international reputation); and in a rather different way San Diego for its "White Parties" and similar events. Rehoboth as a gay destination primarily draws a crowd from DC, Baltimore, Philly and DE. Contrast that with the license plates you see on the cars of straight couples (with or without children in tow) from Ontario, Quebec, NY State, and various States to the south of DE. Your description of Rehoboth is simply provincial. As to what real estate agents may or may not tell their clients about the town, the characteristics of Rehoboth are pretty evident upon observation, except perhaps for the petty politics on the city council, and between the council and business owners.

The same thing could be said about the characterisation of traffic in northern New Castle Co. as "horrible" or any similar adjective. It's nothing like a big city or even a medium sized city that has outgrown its infrastructure (e.g., Austin, TX).

Maybe a move to another State in a different part of the country will be a broadening experience. Much of Colorado is indeed beautiful, though Denver has pollution problems and Colorado Springs is horribly conservative; and when my spouse and I lived out in Grand Junction, I can tell you we had some real hillbillies inhabibitng the off-the-beaten-path canyons outlying the city (I know this personally from my experiences as a consultant for the child protection system in Mesa County, CO).

And by the way, I only wish Rehoboth were a national gay resort destination. That would be fab -- but it ain't. Nor is Poodle Beach an enormous gay beach. It's actually often rather mixed, often isn't all that populated, and has a less than radically fashionable crowd. Women and some men also choose to go to North Shores rather than Poodle Beach.

What is perhaps more notable about Rehoboth is that it has come to be a gay and lesbian retirement community. In that sense, it's in sync with what I would actually see as the most problematic and overall least attractive aspect of Delaware, that being its aging population demographic and marked age-skewing away from a young adult population contingent. I say this being close to 60 myself, but one who prefers to live within a more age-balanced population.
Don,t forget Cape May NJ too>

Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 4,717,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
brava4--He wants to move to southwest FL because the COL is lower than it is here and we can buy a very nice home outright (our mortgage will be paid off right before he retires), no mortage. We will get a lot more for our money compared to here at the DE beaches.....though we don't want bigger, just fancier and with an inground pool. Of course, his pension won't be taxed by Florida either, but it would be in DE.

We picked the southwest area because it has a lot of "stuff" like we have here, as far as stores, restaurants, festivals, ongoing events, etc. The beaches are much better than Delaware's in all aspects. It's also a very biker-friendly area, with many trails and parks. Basically, the SW area is a lot like home, just a little better. Of course, every place has its flaws, and I already have found a few for Florida in general--but I'll save that for another thread .

We did not want northern or central Florida because it was too rednecky and bible-thumping for us (maybe not for others).....some people like this, but we don't. Oh, and it's hot and HUMID. We don't want southeast Florida (Miami area) because it's overpopulated, there's too much crime, and there are a lot of aggressive "city types" there from the north--again, not what we're looking for. The southwest is more laid back and not as overpopulated and overbearing--right up our alley! We have also considered the Florida Keys, but my husband isn't sold on that idea.

Thanks for the info and the whys of your decision. I appreciate hearing about another place for retirement.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
By the way, Bubba just told me after he graduates from grade school next Spring, he's marrying a girl the next farm over, down in the hollow. EllieMae has always been a sweetheart, and she's 20 years old, just a year younger than Bubba. I'm glad he chose her. She's one of us, my sister's daughter. We Delawareans stick together.
Best wishes to Bubba this year. 6th grade is rough.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,753 times
yes rdlr, so happy for Bubba to start his life. Bill and I bought Bubba and Elliemae a wedding gift.....

thought they could use it
A spanking barbie Q.........DE style. Nothing but best for you guys.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Good Gravy! Thanks so much! I bet you got that at the Dover Mall. I heard they had some of those left over in Christiana Mall's storage buildings, and they were sending 2 Men and a Truck down to Dover with a load. No demand for Barbie Q grills up there in New Castle County, I guess, since they have that electric service.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Good Gravy! Thanks so much! I bet you got that at the Dover Mall. I heard they had some of those left over in Christiana Mall's storage buildings, and they were sending 2 Men and a Truck down to Dover with a load. No demand for Barbie Q grills up there in New Castle County, I guess, since they have that electric service.
yep, them fancy people with that new electric service.

You should of asked us.....we got one of them mares.......right now bill is making moonshine and I'm chawing tobacci.....but when we are done........we be glad to hitch up old hilda to the wagon and help out.

Just let us know.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM

here she is.......ain't she a specimen. We call her old mare. after pappys mammy

Last edited by elizamary; 08-31-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM

356 posts, read 737,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm afraid I don't see the dynamic you are observing. The OP did indeed express an opinion. And people are having a discussion.

Again, you confess to being an out of stater. I think you are seeing Delawareans react to what they see as the OP's use of stereotype, and misstatement. Let's start with factual misstatements:

The OP states he is being "as honest can be." Well, first of all, he is factually incorrect about the student body of UD. Two thirds of students accepted into the university each year are from in-state, leaving the other third of openings to be fought after by applicants from other states and countries. Those allocations do not all go to NJ residents. And besides, isn't it great that the state's flagship university has such a well-respected program that out of state students are clamoring to get in?

But I think think it's the not really the misstatement of facts that people are discussing. I think it's claims and stereotypes such as these:

This is just a sampling of the pejoratives and insinuations the OP coughed up in labeling the state and parts of it. And so you wonder why some people can't just see it as opinion and that not everyone has to agree. Yes, it is opinion. But does not agreeing mean they should just stay quiet?

The OP is free to post whatever he wants here provided it passes muster with the mods. He chose to fire a parting shot that I would imagine many would see as insulting and unnecessary (really - rednecks? hicksville?). While I question his level of maturity in posting much of his OP, I have no problem with him doing so. I've seen much worse. At the same time, I don't think he would have made his post if he didn't expect some pushback and challenge on his assertions and characterizations. You asking asking for a discussion. IMO, that's what were seeing. Actually, I am more impressed with the responses he provoked than with the posts by the OP. Rather than hoping the door hits him the behind on the way out, the majority are wishing him well.

I feel like I should respond....simply because you took the time to write a long, well thought out response to my post...I appreciate it (and I actually mean that). I just think it's simpler than all that....opinions are not necessarily based on facts. Everything the OP stated was his opinion, even the stats. I thought that was obvious....but maybe I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or