U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,414,096 times

Advertisements

wow... Wilmington has an Airport with commerical service.. Wow...I guess by throwing in "Philadelphia" people will realize they are going to the northeast and not to the Coast of North Carolina and the outer banks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 PM

263 posts, read 320,738 times
Woodlands,

Actually, New Castle Airport (ILG) is used quite frequently to serve Delaware's INC 500 crowd.

Some 60% or so of the fortune 500 corporations and many many other corporations
are registered in Delaware (mostly to due to the favorable business structure in Delaware
and the Court of the Chancery).

Fairly popular as of recently is fractional ownership of private jets (such as Net Jets)
that allows smaller business concerns and other individuals to more economically
make use of private jets w/o bearing the full brunt of maintenance, depreciation,
etc.

Flying into NewCastle Airport puts you closer to the INC 500 "action."

Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Frontier offers flights to the Wilmington - Philadelphia area, not airport. Frontier is the first airline to try commercial service to ILG in 5 years (others have tried through the years and failed). They recently canceled scheduled flights to/from Houston stranding passengers with tickets. There remain a handful of flights each week, so as the Moderator (who is trying to help you) suggested, you should plan ahead for ground transportation rather than expect service awaiting you upon landing.

Frontier has recently been advertising a lot of fares between Chicago-Midway - Wilmington for $44-59 OW in the past month or two. They are also offering cheap fares to Trenton, NJ. That is about half the price of MDW-PHL fares at this point.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 PM

756 posts, read 1,876,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Frontier offers flights to the Wilmington - Philadelphia area, not airport. Frontier is the first airline to try commercial service to ILG in 5 years (others have tried through the years and failed). They recently canceled scheduled flights to/from Houston stranding passengers with tickets. There remain a handful of flights each week, so as the Moderator (who is trying to help you) suggested, you should plan ahead for ground transportation rather than expect service awaiting you upon landing.
Frontier refunded those tickets. There was some press that they were charging pax for rebooking connections via DEN, but due to enough complaints Frontier reversed that decision and offered pax no increase in charge to connect via DEN to IAH.

The flights were also over a month out, so if one chose a refund, one could easily get an advance purchase low fare on another carrier like Southwest, so I wouldn't say these pax were "stranded". They obviously won't get a $50 one-way from PHL to Houston, but they'd get a reasonable $150 one-stop on Southwest. EWR and BWI have nonstop service to HOU and Southwest has advance purchase low fares from there. I'm not sure what United and US are charging for the nonstops out of PHL to IAH but I doubt it's very high.

Last edited by avg12; 09-18-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM

756 posts, read 1,876,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Frontier has recently been advertising a lot of fares between Chicago-Midway - Wilmington for $44-59 OW in the past month or two. They are also offering cheap fares to Trenton, NJ. That is about half the price of MDW-PHL fares at this point.
It ranges from $48.50 upward but closer to $100. The lowest $48 can be found typically on a Wednesday.

They do charge $20-$25 for a checked bag, and will charge for a soft drink. Water in a cup is free, but one has to ask.

You're right though that Southwest's MDW-PHL is about twice that fare, as well as MDW-BWI, but Southwest has no change fees and 2 bags and a drink and a little bag of peanuts and pretzels.

MDW-EWR can be found for $119 which is not bad. Southwest has low advance purchase fares on MDW-EWR and MDW-LGA only because Spirit is flying ORD-LGA.

Frontier's ILG-MDW and TTN-MDW has spotty coverage, although TTN-MDW has more service. But both lack Saturday service. And some flights are too early. ILG-MDW leaves at 7:30am in October and November. That's great to get a workday in Chicago, but for the leisure pax from Philly, it'd require someone else to pretty much stay a night at a hotel in Wilmington the night before. The Budget/Avis at ILG also doesn't open until 7am and doesn't have airport hours, which makes it difficult to return and get a rental car there.

I'd love for ILG to expand and more hotels, more airport rental cars to open up there, with airport hours. I think if Frontier and Delaware made a serious effort for it, ILG could become a low fare airport in the NYC-WAS corridor, like a miniature version of BWI.

Spirit also flies ACY-ORD in May-Labor Day and it has fares under $100. It's service all 7 days which is better, but the coverage is limited to only 4 months of the year.

Last edited by avg12; 09-18-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,792,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post

I'd love for ILG to expand and more hotels, more airport rental cars to open up there, with airport hours. I think if Frontier and Delaware made a serious effort for it, ILG could become a low fare airport in the NYC-WAS corridor, like a miniature version of BWI.
Other airlines have tried and not made it. Now that Frontier has made it the "Wilmington/Philadelphia area airport who knows. I could see a car rental desk but certainly would not be throwing my money into hotels for quite a while.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Other airlines have tried and not made it. Now that Frontier has made it the "Wilmington/Philadelphia area airport who knows. I could see a car rental desk but certainly would not be throwing my money into hotels for quite a while.
People like alternatives to the large mega-airports as they generally provide you with lower costs as well as easy in and out access.

For example, smaller airports have cheaper parking. Rockford, IL and Gary, IN have free parking while Milwaukee has $6 day parking. The two Chicago airports charge $12-20 per day parking.

If Frontier continues to operate those flights in the spring, I will head back to Delaware.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,792,581 times
Quote:
People like alternatives to the large mega-airports as they generally provide you with lower costs as well as easy in and out access.

For example, smaller airports have cheaper parking. Rockford, IL and Gary, IN have free parking while Milwaukee has $6 day parking. The two Chicago airports charge $12-20 per day parking.

If Frontier continues to operate those flights in the spring, I will head back to Delaware.
Don't get me wrong . I would love to see this work. Unfortunately it has been tried enough times to cause negative thinking on my part.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,414,096 times
I fly mainly out of BWI now...but who knows.. if ILG is reasonable enough it may be worth the drive not to stand in long lines and what not.. BWI is pretty good though in terms of not having long lines compared to say DCA or IAD

Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:
Yes, people do like them. The problem with ILG is its location. It's hard for me to see many passengers from Philly driving all the way to the south side of Wilmington to ILG. If it were located on the north side, it would be more viable to folks from Philly. There has not been a single ad or mention of these flights in the Philly media, so I'm thinking Frontier is not banking on a large slew of Philly-based passengers for these flights. As it is, it is no more in the minds of Philadelphians than the airports in Trenton and AC which also offer low fare alternatives. ILG does offer a good alternative to folks from Wilmington and Kent County - if they are going to one of the handful of locations Frontier currently flies to. That's a much smaller market to work with.

As a former frequent flyer for my work, I find it hard to believe too many business passengers in general will choose Frontier - a pretty no frills airline with lot of add-ons. For example, folks have been surprised with fees for their carry-ons. I see the more leisure passengers who are fare driven experimenting with these flights. Personally, I hope Frontier can make a go of it. It would save folks from lower DE the drive into PHL. But I see it as an uphill climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or