U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 20,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Frontier refunded those tickets. There was some press that they were charging pax for rebooking connections via DEN, but due to enough complaints Frontier reversed that decision and offered pax no increase in charge to connect via DEN to IAH.

The flights were also over a month out, so if one chose a refund, one could easily get an advance purchase low fare on another carrier like Southwest, so I wouldn't say these pax were "stranded". They obviously won't get a $50 one-way from PHL to Houston, but they'd get a reasonable $150 one-stop on Southwest. EWR and BWI have nonstop service to HOU and Southwest has advance purchase low fares from there. I'm not sure what United and US are charging for the nonstops out of PHL to IAH but I doubt it's very high.
Non stop round trips to IAH from PHL on USAIR is running $960! I just took Frontier from ILG this week. Non stop round trip cost (less than a week out mind you) $112!

And for those saying folks won't drive from north of Philly to ILG....I live in Bucks County. I can take the extra 30 min drive to save over $800.

Too bad Frontier will stop the non-stop flights to IAH come Oct. 1. Back to paying high prices for my evey other week trip to Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM

756 posts, read 1,877,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Other airlines have tried and not made it. Now that Frontier has made it the "Wilmington/Philadelphia area airport who knows. I could see a car rental desk but certainly would not be throwing my money into hotels for quite a while.
There are actually a good number of hotels from Elkton to PHL, and ILG is close, but more rental car companies and airport hours for those would go a long way.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazwoper View Post
Non stop round trips to IAH from PHL on USAIR is running $960! I just took Frontier from ILG this week. Non stop round trip cost (less than a week out mind you) $112!

And for those saying folks won't drive from north of Philly to ILG....I live in Bucks County. I can take the extra 30 min drive to save over $800.

Too bad Frontier will stop the non-stop flights to IAH come Oct. 1. Back to paying high prices for my evey other week trip to Houston
Indeed, US and United have jacked up the nonstop fares after Southwest ended nonstop. But SWA still has reasonable one stop fares out of PHL, and nonstop out of BWI and EWR.

The spike of fares when a LCC stops service is one reason the US-AA merger should be blocked as its very anti consumer.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM

32,103 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Did you notice that no one on the Philly forum knew what you were talking about? I've never heard it called the Wilmington/Philly airport.... New Castle Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess that Frontier is mis-advertising the airport's name and therefore I didn't realize that it wasn't really called the Wilmington/Philadelphia airport. (Being I am not from the area, I didn't realize that this isn't really a Philadephia airport and the name "New Castle" isn't mentioned on their website):
Frontier Airlines | Online Schedules

In any case, I thank everyone for the information posted.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM

6,186 posts, read 9,422,802 times
I am surprised the State of Delaware hasnt tried to promote tourism in DE utilizing Frontier.. Delaware has nice beaches that may make a trip down from the Gold Coast of Chicago worth the trip.

If the MARC train every gets extended into Newark DE...it may open up the opportunity to run a shuttle from there to ILG which would make it similiar (though certainly not identical) to BWI in terms of having a rail to airport connection. If the fares are as cheap as people are saying.. I can see people north of baltimore going to ILG. How far is it from Newark and Wilmington Amtrak Station? Like 15 minutes? Septa could save the same role to/from Wilmington Amtrak if a similiar shuttle is provided.. if there is enough demand/volume.

I flew out of Salisbury MD to Orlando/Sanford (ironically another "/" airport connecting a major well known city with a not so well known city) I drove literally up to the entrance of the terminal.. parked my car and walked 20 yards to the ticket counter.. got my ticket, checked my bags, and got through security all in less than 15 minutes..I waved to my car as I took off......Totally unheard of in most urban airports.. but a very pleasant experience....

Orlando/Sanford was also a nice medium size airport. Got my bag.. and walked straight to my rental car.. on my way in less than 30 minutes...So I believe that there is a huge market for these smaller city airports and alternative airports serving major metro areas...

Last edited by Woodlands; 09-19-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am surprised the State of Delaware hasnt tried to promote tourism in DE utilizing Frontier.. Delaware has nice beaches that may make a trip down from the Gold Coast of Chicago worth the trip.
Unlike BWI which is owned by MD, and PVD which is owned by Rhode Island, ILG is just a county airport owned by a bi state agency between NJ and DE. But New Castle and Kent Co. (within one hour) makes up 75 percent of the state's population.

I think Maryland's way of subsidizing BWI is over the top (it subsidizes the British Airways flight), but Delaware should get that idea on a small scale level to take over ILG to improve the facility. Steady air service would bring business into the state, but the state is likely more conservative than MD or NJ in that view.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

I flew out of Salisbury MD to Orlando/Sanford (ironically another "/" airport connecting a major well known city with a not so well known city) I drove literally up to the entrance of the terminal.. parked my car and walked 20 yards to the ticket counter.. got my ticket, checked my bags, and got through security all in less than 15 minutes..I waved to my car as I took off......Totally unheard of in most urban airports.. but a very pleasant experience....
Please keep Salisbury a secret. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 AM

6,186 posts, read 9,422,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Please keep Salisbury a secret. Thank you.

Hey.. we have to get the word out or else the airlines may cancel service I flew out on Allegiant and they have already pulled out.. and I believe only US Airways is left. Allegiant still flys into Hagerstown...and other than that Harrisburg PA. I remember when Lancaster PA was serviced by US Airways....Im not sure how long ago they pulled out

Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,797,636 times
I don't like changing planes..But the ease of boarding in Salisbury and just going to your gate at PHL not having to go through their security screening makes it worth while.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 881 times
I too am flying into ILG in Delaware. Frontier used to fly directly into PHL from Denver, but no longer. However flights to ILG are currently heavily discounted - think 1980 prices. But only one flight one a few days a week. The late arrival hour, for me, is after many car rental counters are closed for the evening. Unless ILG gets a few more flights, I would imagine that ground services are sketchy. We may catch a hotel for one night and then use the "car in a bag" folks for a 10 day rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or