Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,359 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Atlanta and have no idea where to live. Taking a job in Wilmington and thought about living in Center City Philadelphia. Does anyone know what the commute is like? Are they're any other nice suburbs right outside the city - maybe half way to Wilmington that I should consider? After reading a lot about delaware and the comments on line. I think that Philadelphia might be the best move for me - single and unattached at the time, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 04:08 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
The Philly to Delaware commute is nothing like you find in Atlanta. You will find it much easier, at least for a while. However, traffic is heavy and we are having more accidents and road rage in Delaware because so many people move to DE and work in the Philly area.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
Taking a job in Wilmington and thought about living in Center City Philadelphia. Does anyone know what the commute is like?
Yuck. Well, at least the worst traffic is in the opposite direction. Figure 40 minutes most days; double that on Friday afternoon in summer or holidays, whenever it snows, or there's an accident. I've heard traffic is even worse in Atlanta, but no way the road rage incidents could be worse. It's nasty out there.

There is SEPTA R2 light rail from Wilmington to 30th St Station, then subway to center city. Time door-to-door is about an hour, and the trains aren't nice, but it may be less hassle.

Please realize that crime may be bad in Wilmington, but Philly is much worse. You might instead consider Trolleyville (in northwest Wilmington, a uppie area with a lot going on) or Newark (it's a college town). Either one has a lot less rent, commute, crime, filth, traffic and overall hassle than Philly!

I did the opposite commute for years, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Personally, I couldn't see doing it unless your significant other worked in Philly.

As a footnote, as a Philly resident, expect to pay at least $2400/yr for car insurance, twice as high as the rates in DE. You may get a little back from your DE income tax, but PA income tax will take most of that. Plus PA and PHL sales taxes. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
You might instead consider Trolleyville
that's Trolley Square, sorry.

Last edited by Marka; 10-18-2006 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,353 times
Default also moving to the Kent County area

My family is now looking to buy 3 homes in the area and would like to know what the crime is like, I'm coming from the Washington DC area

Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Yuck. Well, at least the worst traffic is in the opposite direction. Figure 40 minutes most days; double that on Friday afternoon in summer or holidays, whenever it snows, or there's an accident. I've heard traffic is even worse in Atlanta, but no way the road rage incidents could be worse. It's nasty out there.

There is SEPTA R2 light rail from Wilmington to 30th St Station, then subway to center city. Time door-to-door is about an hour, and the trains aren't nice, but it may be less hassle.

Please realize that crime may be bad in Wilmington, but Philly is much worse. You might instead consider Trolleyville (in northwest Wilmington, a uppie area with a lot going on) or Newark (it's a college town). Either one has a lot less rent, commute, crime, filth, traffic and overall hassle than Philly!

I did the opposite commute for years, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Personally, I couldn't see doing it unless your significant other worked in Philly.

As a footnote, as a Philly resident, expect to pay at least $2400/yr for car insurance, twice as high as the rates in DE. You may get a little back from your DE income tax, but PA income tax will take most of that. Plus PA and PHL sales taxes. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

that's Trolley Square, sorry.
Wilmington has similar or higher crime rates than Philadelphia per capita. I have lived in both cities, and can tell you that Wilmington has less cops, and more people who think they OWN their area. If you walk through, you are more likely to have a problem because of the small town mentality, where as in Philadelphia, if you mind your own business, you are generally good unless you're somewhere you have no business being, due to the fact that Philadelphia is higher trafficked, and the neighborhood thugs are more used to strangers passing through their area.

I personally don't think the commute between Delaware and Philadelphia is that bad compared to sprawl cities such as Atlanta, Houston, LA, and the beltway between DC and Baltimore. You can calculate a 45-minute commute time. What's worse is going from Wilmington to the Philadelphia suburbs, which involves the new, but obsolete blue route 476 which is frequently jammed and frequently has accidents and bottlenecks.

However, my personal recommendation is to move somewhere within walking distance to Market East or Suburban Station in Philadelphia, where you can take the Septa R2 back and forth to work. Center City Philadelphia is turning very anti-car, especially compared to Atlanta. Parking will be difficult depending on your location, and a large amount of people in Philadelphia these days are living carless, as they have all the amenities they need within a short walking distance. There are corner grocers, lots of bars, outdoor cafes, restaurants, and sidewalks in close proximity.

Good luck with your new job!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 PM

249 posts, read 492,010 times
Newark to Wilmington commute isn't too bad, even with the I95 construction I was doing door to door in about 35-45m. Also, Newark is a pretty nice little town, downtown is about half main street half university, but the outlying areas (Pike Creek, Hockessin, North Star) are pretty quiet little hamlets.

Unless you're on the make I wouldn't live in Philadelphia, taxes are higher and it's a lot more congested.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,571 times
Default Delaware traffic and housing

I live in Delaware and can say that it is cheaper to live tax-wise, etc. The commute from Philly would be a hassle. Anywhere else in Delaware would be hectic, don't get me wrong- but I'd rather hassle w/the locals than pay PA taxes and drive into Delaware.
There are nice suburb areas north and west of Wilmington, where you are still only 20 mins from Philly and the night life. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,352 times
Good Luck with your search. I live in a great little neighborhood 10 minutes from center city Philadelphia called Bridesburg. We are actually looking into moving to Delaware, we LOVE Philly but we need more ground for the kids!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,591 times
is west chester or cherry hill a better suburb to live in ifyou work in philadelphia

Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Hockessin is a hamlet? I'd call it a suburb and a fairly upscale one at that. I wouldn't recommend living in Philly and commuting to Wilmington unless you are either addicted to commutes on interstates or to living in crime-ridden cities run by incompetent city governments. The crime in "Wilmington" is concentrated in a small part of the City of Wilmington itself, which is a tiny part of the overall area commonly known as "Wilmington". The City of Wilmington hasn't annexed anything since shortly after the Civil War and is surrounded by generally more upscale suburbs that dwarf the City both in population and area. Northern New Castle County is a nice, liveable place. I would second the recommendation of Trolley Square, which actually does lie within the city limits. I like Newark - home of the University of Delawrare - as well, which would be an easier commute than from Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware