U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 AM

7,816 posts, read 10,483,752 times

Advertisements

Since DH and I unfortunately have no kids, we spent many a Christmas Day running to family members homes, one to the other, to the point of it not being enjoyable due to all the running around. So about 10 years ago we decide we needed our own "tradition".

We now begin Christmas morning with an elaborate breakfast of French Toast (Paul Deen) juice and coffee. I set the breakfast table the night before with my Christmas china and glassware. We are normally simply cereal and coffee folks, so this is my idea of elaborate. Initially the menu was omelets and bacon but then we had too clean up the pans and stove etc. Since I hosted Christmas dinner I wanted something with less cleanup. I make the French toast the day before, per the recipe and it is too much for one meal so I simply cover it for the next day and pop it in the fridge once it cools.

We then pop open a bottle of champagne and DH makes mimosas, I light the candles, turn on the Christmas music and then we sit around the Christmas tree and open gifts and laugh and talk and last but not least open our stockings while enjoying our mimosas.

What are your special traditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Those sound like some nice traditions, nuts2uiam! I hope others chime in too....guess I'll be the first .

We don't have any children at home either (we're young empty nesters), but my son does come over for Christmas to spend the morning with me, open presents, and then we head 75 miles south to Virginia to spend the afternoon with my parents and eat dinner there. I've gotten out of cooking dinner for the holidays for almost 39 years, but that's o.k. because I don't want to miss mom's cooking. If my husband is home on Christmas morning, I'll cook a big breakfast. However, he's not this year so it will just be me and the rabbits when I wake up. I wrap gifts for them and watch them open them (yes, they open them!) on Christmas morning while I wait for my son to arrive.

We don't have any family here (at least not any we associate with) so Christmas Eve and Christmas morning is just about me, my husband, my son, and a couple friends if they are not away for the holidays. I don't always see my husband on Christmas given he works shift work, but I will see him on Christmas Eve and we'll go out to dinner to celebrate. We did this last year as well, and we may have another couple join us. I go all out for holiday decorating, and after we have dinner we come home and I turn on all my Christmas lights. We sit in the living room (where the main tree is) and watch tv and have a drink or two.

That's about as exciting as it gets around here...we keep it pretty simple. How about everyone else??

Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,763,732 times
I love tradition! I've already started getting ready for our "Delaware Christmas Dinner" (buffet style) which is always 2-3 days before Christmas, in the evening. I buy two 8-pound beef tenderloins from our neighborhood butcher down the street and cook them medium rare, have some horsey sauce on the side, lots of other dishes/appetizers and I make everything. Hubby slices the beef thin with an electric knife, which makes nice, neat portions. There are about 8-10 sides, to accompany the beef, and at least 4-5 different kinds of appetizers, but always shrimp cocktail! We have a large punch bowl with our famous Open House Punch (adults only) containing Southern Comfort, ginger ale, orange juice, with orange slices floating along with ice cubes (with cherries inside). Dessert is always my 40 yr. old recipe for Cheesecake, very heavy and rich, with cherries on the side, and my mother's recipe for rolled out sugar cookies. The cookie cutters I use are all in Delaware shapes - the state, blue hen, diamond, and holly leaf. I'm so excited I already have two 6 foot round tables ordered from the rental company to set up in our foyer, and green/red linens. I have beautiful cloth Christmas napkins, already washed ironed and folded in stand-ups! Our children all come, their spouses, and their children.....about 20 in all. Having it early, frees up everyone to enjoy Christmas Day in their own way. We eat left overs and relax on Christmas Day!

Then, for the New Year, we do it all over again for 8-10 friends in our town, usually the 29th or 30th of December, not New Year's Eve. On New Year's Day, someone in our town invites a bunch of us for breakfast, and she fixes a delicious baked breakfast casserole with sausage, eggs, and cheese - also, home made biscuits, fruit, cream puffs, coffee, juice, and champagne for a toast.

I'm so excited about these holidays! While looking at t.v. in the evening, I have my notebook at hand to jot down some notes/things to do, as I think of them.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Why am I not surprised that two of my favorite people on CD and also among the most helpful too, are the first to answer. Our dog opens presents so if he can I am certain that rabbits can too. That punch sounds wonderful too.

Hopefully we will get more responses.

FYI Apple Electric on John J. Williams Highway (24) has started the process of putting up all the decorations. They do a wonderful job.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Thanks, nuts2uiam . I'm glad you are on this forum. And--I think I want some of that punch too! Rdlr--your traditions sound lovely. I bet everyone has a great time.

I really had the itch to start Christmas decorating outdoors today with it being so nice out, but it's a tad bit early and I still have my bale, scarecrow, and a mess of pumpkins outside for fall. I'll be disposing of them this week (don't kids steal pumpkins anymore?!?!) so I can definitely decorate outdoors next weekend. That's a tiring endeavor I do all by myself, and it takes me literally an entire day to do it (and that's just the outside of my home). My home is all decked out for the holidays, and funny thing...after I moved here, other neighbors on the street started decorating more too. My new neighbors next door saw how much I decorated, and they followed my lead and it's kind of spread down my street. Love it!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:42 PM

7,332 posts, read 10,763,732 times
Thanks, you two!
Your traditions sound wonderful, too. One more thing, though.....
Before we get into Christmas, this community celebrates Delaware Day on December 7th!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Have to check on that one right now. Thanks for educating a transplant.
Baked French Toast Casserole Recipe — Pauladeen.com
We don't do the toppings but the recipe is to die for and the way we look a it. Christmas comes just once a year and then it is back to Special K and Raisin Bran. I half the recipe for the two of us.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 AM

574 posts, read 1,094,759 times
We've changed Christmas Day traditions a few times over the years. One that has been around since my firstborn was a toddler is that Santa brings Christmas breakfast. When he was young, my parents wouldn't start Christmas until I came over with the baby. So we had to rush Christmas morning. We were also struggling financially, and I was finding that stockings were big and expensive to fill. So every year, Santa puts Christmas breakfast in the stockings. Instant cups of oatmeal. Fresh fruit. Breakfast bars. Fancy coffee/tea. Little sample boxes of the horribly sugary cereal I refused to buy for my kids.

We still do this, minus the sugary cereal, as the kids are old enough to buy it themselves.

The kids are allowed to open stockings before the adults are awake, but no one touches what's under the tree until everyone is up, coffee/cocoa has been made, and Christmas music is playing.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM

So Sweet and this will be your legacy to your kids. My mom and dad always got us what they would refer to as our "Oooooowwwwww Aaaaaaahhhhhh" present. My sister and I still carry that on in our own homes. It was a Barbie car for my sister one year and a typewriter for me one year. DH and I laugh about the OA present every year now. I will be out shopping and come home and say "OA is in the building!!!". Admittedly it is getting harder as we need or want so little now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
We've changed Christmas Day traditions a few times over the years. One that has been around since my firstborn was a toddler is that Santa brings Christmas breakfast. When he was young, my parents wouldn't start Christmas until I came over with the baby. So we had to rush Christmas morning. We were also struggling financially, and I was finding that stockings were big and expensive to fill. So every year, Santa puts Christmas breakfast in the stockings. Instant cups of oatmeal. Fresh fruit. Breakfast bars. Fancy coffee/tea. Little sample boxes of the horribly sugary cereal I refused to buy for my kids.

We still do this, minus the sugary cereal, as the kids are old enough to buy it themselves.

The kids are allowed to open stockings before the adults are awake, but no one touches what's under the tree until everyone is up, coffee/cocoa has been made, and Christmas music is playing.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 8,370,172 times
My son and I used to bake cookies on Christmas day and take them to the fire station where he would climb all over the trucks and occupy the firefighter's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware