U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,823 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to Wilmington for work in next 1-1.5 month. My work location is Barclays. I'm in my late twenties, female, single. What areas would you suggest for me?
I'm looking for a studio/1 BR upto $750. Can pay more, but would prefer something in that range.
I'm not much of a social butterfly, so nearby restaurants and clubs are not such a big deal. Would appreciate any exercise/art classes nearby but would be equally happy at home with Netflix/a book.
I have a car, but don't want to use it to commute to daily work. Considering the winter, walking is also not that attractive. I am open to reasonably safe public transportation routes and commute upto 30-40 mins.
I read everywhere that Trolley square is good for people like me; however I would like to know any other options, that involve SEPTA in DE/PA etc?
My most preferable option would be a safe, reliable, apartment community with apts in my range, fitness center and a dist of about 30 mins from public transportation.
Does anyone know such communities or suggest other cities/suburbs based on my needs?

Last edited by Kay1211; 12-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: better title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,823 times
can someone reply? any help will be appreciated!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM

7,320 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Kay, I'm a native of Delaware, but am in Kent County (mid-state).
Have you been to Wilmington yet? I'd suggest driving around the area, first, if you haven't. Then, maybe ask questions about certain areas.
Maybe that's why no Wilmington people have responded.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 PM

266 posts, read 334,145 times
If you are willing to commute up to 30 to 40 minutes you could just live in Philly and take the train into Wilmington. The train station is actually right next to Barclays Bank so it could work out perfect. I used to take the train between Philly and Wilmington all the time. It's about a 25 minute ride if I remember correctly. Newark, De also has public transit into Wilmington (via train or bus)and is a college town. Also West Chester, PA is right up 202, I'm not sure if public transit goes into Wilmington from there since its across state line.

As far as in the city of Wilmington outside of Trolley Square I'm not sure there are to many places that would be that attractive for a single female in her 20's. Westside is a ghetto, northside is a ghetto and eastside is a ghetto. The area around downtown and the riverfront isn't all that bad but rent may be out your range. One place you could possibly consider would be the area near 5th and market. Just look at that intersection and then extend out a few blocks in every direction. You'd also have a 5-10 minute walk to work. The moral of the story though is the only neighborhood outside of downtown that I think would be attractive to you would be Trolley Square. Most neighborhoods outside of downtown or the riverfront (Except for Trolley Square) are pretty dangerous.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM

56 posts, read 121,445 times
We just moved to Claymont and drive to Philly each day. The environment varies from block to block in Claymont, so you should definitely visit and mingle a bit. We're 15 minutes from a mall and shopping (Target/Home Depot/Movies).

Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM

605 posts, read 1,137,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
If you are willing to commute up to 30 to 40 minutes you could just live in Philly and take the train into Wilmington. The train station is actually right next to Barclays Bank so it could work out perfect. I used to take the train between Philly and Wilmington all the time. It's about a 25 minute ride if I remember correctly. Newark, De also has public transit into Wilmington (via train or bus)and is a college town. Also West Chester, PA is right up 202, I'm not sure if public transit goes into Wilmington from there since its across state line.

As far as in the city of Wilmington outside of Trolley Square I'm not sure there are to many places that would be that attractive for a single female in her 20's. Westside is a ghetto, northside is a ghetto and eastside is a ghetto. The area around downtown and the riverfront isn't all that bad but rent may be out your range. One place you could possibly consider would be the area near 5th and market. Just look at that intersection and then extend out a few blocks in every direction. You'd also have a 5-10 minute walk to work. The moral of the story though is the only neighborhood outside of downtown that I think would be attractive to you would be Trolley Square. Most neighborhoods outside of downtown or the riverfront (Except for Trolley Square) are pretty dangerous.
Agreed. Also you can look off union st near little Italy and also check out Union Park Gardens. The area around St Elizabeth's isn't bad either unless its changed in past few years since I've been gone.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,782,508 times
Wilmington isn't like Boston, Baltimore, or other major, but smaller cities. Public transportation is terrible and almost non-existent. It will take forever to get from point A to point B via the Dart Bus. Everyone in DE drives everywhere. There are literally no taxis to hail down in Wilmington. You have to call for one.

Thus, if you're going to have to drive anyway, might as well expand your options up along 202 somewhere. If you move closer to the PA border, there's a lot more stuff to do over the line and better grocery store options are around.

While many people in DE talk about bad traffic during rush hour, traffic in DE is usually not that bad. Many people in DE have never lived in a major city and don't even know what bad traffic everyday is truly like (suburbs of DC and Philly are 10000000x worse for traffic than DE).

Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM

46 posts, read 117,561 times
If you're not fussy or bent on living in a modern apartment building or in an exiting neighborhood, Fairfax Apartments have 1 bedroom units in your price range. They're located in the safe, family oriented development of Fairfax, which is off Concord Pike/rt 202. IIRC, there are only 4 units per building with laundry facilities in the basement.

FOR RENT

Location is fantastic for taking a direct DART bus in & out of the city. These apartments are located behind Fairfax shopping center, so you could walk for groceries, drugstore, burgers, pizza, banks, etc if you wanted, or a very short drive to lots more shopping along 202. There's a Retro Fitness gym at concord mall at a YMCA and JCC nearby as well, just off Concord Pike.

Another option in your price range is Cedar Tree apartments on Naamans Road
Cedar Tree Apartments - Wilmington - Delaware - Apartments in PA, DE, NJ, MD

They have a DART bus stop at the entrance of the apartment complex and is also situated by walkable shopping centers and is also a short drive to the gyms I mentioned above.

Fairfax Apartments are better located for a fast commute to work because it's closer to town but Cedar Tree also has a direct bus route. Of the 2 I'd go with Fairfax because of safety and overall neighborhood community.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM

46 posts, read 117,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Agreed. Also you can look off union st near little Italy and also check out Union Park Gardens. The area around St Elizabeth's isn't bad either unless its changed in past few years since I've been gone.
It's not what it used to be. 2 women were sexually assaulted in Kosciuszko park, while a gang allegedly stood by and watched

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ells-her-story

And there's been a fatal shooting in the park too

Three shot, one killed in Kosciusko Park

Lots of shootings in the city, I'd just avoid living there. Areas that used to be safe are now or getting bad.

Shootings Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or