Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 14,080 times

Advertisements

Before I contact a real estate attorney about this issue, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Yesterday, i noticed that our new home (2 months old) from Ryan Homes has a leak coming inside through the top of the framing of where the sliding glass door is installed. I haven't contacted the project manager about this yet because I want to get your feedback first. I'm thinking this is not repairable since it is a structural problem due to the installation and the water is somehow getting through the house. If that truly is the case, would it be appropriate to threaten legal action against them? The house is only 2 months old, warranty or not, this shouldn't be happening. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM

9,700 posts, read 14,187,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileskia907 View Post
Before I contact a real estate attorney about this issue, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Yesterday, i noticed that our new home (2 months old) from Ryan Homes has a leak coming inside through the top of the framing of where the sliding glass door is installed. I haven't contacted the project manager about this yet because I want to get your feedback first. I'm thinking this is not repairable since it is a structural problem due to the installation and the water is somehow getting through the house. If that truly is the case, would it be appropriate to threaten legal action against them? The house is only 2 months old, warranty or not, this shouldn't be happening. Thanks
Are you a structural engineer? Perhaps you're jumping to conclusions.
My feedback is, contact the project/manager/supervisor, first. That's one of the things that person is there for, to resolve these issues after settlement.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 14,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Are you a structural engineer? Perhaps you're jumping to conclusions.
My feedback is, contact the project/manager/supervisor, first. That's one of the things that person is there for, to resolve these issues after settlement.
Oh yea, I'm definetly contacting him first before doing anything. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,020,575 times
Do you really want to get into a legal spat with Ryan? They build thousands of homes every year, and are not known for their 'quality'. I am guessing that they deal with hundreds of legal challenges every year and have in-house or permanently retained counsel to blow you off, or delay, or spin until you give up.

My opinion is that your best bet is to contact the building/project manager and have him take a look at your problem. Stay on him, but try to be cooperative until he has indicated through words or actions that he isn't going to solve your water issue. Most anything is repairable if you dig deeply enough. He might not like to rip off the roof, or replace the flashing, or whatever it is, but if you dig deeply enough, the problem can be solved.

Whether he wants to deal with it in a professional manner is another matter altogether.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM

405 posts, read 672,868 times
That house should have at least a 1 year warranty. Keep after the person responsible for call-backs if they don't schedule a date to come and repair it or at least look at it to determine the cause. No matter the cause of the leak, you should be covered by the warranty. If it's around the sliding glass door it may well be the trim around the outside of the door was never caulked or there may be a shingle tab blown off. It could also be a defectice door where the weather stripping and seals may be faulty.
Have them take a look be fore you sic the lawyer on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware