Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM

107 posts, read 266,608 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been to Wilmington a few times for house-hunting. Wilmington is really a mixed bag, good and bad neighborhoods are really mixed up. One neighborhood can be ok, but 2-3 blocks away it can be a different story. On the city's website, there's a map that lists all of the neighborhoods, about 40 in all:

http://www.ci.wilmington.de.us/docs/...ghborhoods.pdf

I know it's impossible to give exact answers, but I'm looking for a rough idea of what neighborhoods in Wilmington are safe to live in. I already know someone is going to ask for my definition of safety, so here it is:

-Drugs/gangs are not a major presence in the neighborhood
-People living there don't have to worry too much about having their car stolen
-Assaults, robberies, burglaries rapes, murders, etc are much lower than what you see in the ghetto
-People with legal jobs live there; not hood-rats, gangsters, stoners and street bums

Roughly what neighborhoods/areas are safe according to this criteria? Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Are you only wanting to know about neighborhoods within the quite small area of the City of Wilmington itself, or do you want to include the surrounding suburbs that are loosely included in what most people informally refer to as Wilmington?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Are you only wanting to know about neighborhoods within the quite small area of the City of Wilmington itself, or do you want to include the surrounding suburbs that are loosely included in what most people informally refer to as Wilmington?
When I was typing up the thread a little while ago, I mainly had in mind the city itself. I would not mind getting info on the immediate surrounding areas. I already know that the unincorporated communities north of Wilmington, like Hockessin and Greenville (where you said you are from) are wealthy and affluent. Elsmere also seems like a nice place by my book.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Well what's your price range, if looking to buy?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Well what's your price range, if looking to buy?

Just a heads up, I already know this is not a high price range and I won't be able to afford a neighborhood that is even 1% affluent. The part of Delaware you live in is very nice, but it will be at least another decade or so before I could afford to live there. My maximum price range is 70k and this would be a cash offer. I realize that at this price range, I'm looking at a lower class neighborhood that is working poor or lower middle class. As long as the area is relatively calm according to what I described, I'm ok with it.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 AM

I think, then, that you would do well to look in Elsmere, for one. You might also look for a fixer-up in Bellefonte, which is an old trolley suburb that in recent years has become a youngish, hipster homeowner neighborhood. Just the other day there was an article/semi-advert about a house that was going to be going on the market there that had been bought by a young guy for 80-something K and he had then done major renovation on it and is flipping it with an asking price in the low 200sK -- so possibilities are out there. There are also areas off Kirkwood Hwy that are still considered Wilmington and are safe working class neighborhoods. I believe Marshallton is one -- despite the name, it is not an incorporated town. Also, you might look in Newport, a small incorporated old town that is contiguous with Wilmington (like Elsmere), although I don't know if Newport has more petty crime or not. Frankly if you could only scrape together 85-90K you would be in a lot better shape to find something in safe areas, including the ones I've cited here.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I think, then, that you would do well to look in Elsmere, for one. You might also look for a fixer-up in Bellefonte, which is an old trolley suburb that in recent years has become a youngish, hipster homeowner neighborhood. Just the other day there was an article/semi-advert about a house that was going to be going on the market there that had been bought by a young guy for 80-something K and he had then done major renovation on it and is flipping it with an asking price in the low 200sK -- so possibilities are out there. There are also areas off Kirkwood Hwy that are still considered Wilmington and are safe working class neighborhoods. I believe Marshallton is one -- despite the name, it is not an incorporated town. Also, you might look in Newport, a small incorporated old town that is contiguous with Wilmington (like Elsmere), although I don't know if Newport has more petty crime or not. Frankly if you could only scrape together 85-90K you would be in a lot better shape to find something in safe areas, including the ones I've cited here.
I just checked Bellefonte on zillow a few minutes ago. The cheapest house for sale I saw there was 154k. I don't know how to do renovations/contracting since that isn't my profession. If I were to buy a fixer upper, it would have to be considerably lower than the 70k mark, as I would need to use the remaining money to make it livable. What is the name of the neighborhood where these houses are located off of Kirkwood highway? I just checked Marshallton and I see that there is maybe one house that can work for my situation. I will also check newport out and see what comes of it.

I know, if I had the means to get it, I would. But I am unemployed, so this is all I can afford for now. I just need a decently safe place where I can settle, regroup, and plan my future from there.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

I don't know the names of these various working class areas, I'm afraid. Generally you might look in the 19805 post code, which I belirve includes Marshallton but is not limited to it. Have you checked properties in Elsmere?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know the names of these various working class areas, I'm afraid. Generally you might look in the 19805 post code, which I belirve includes Marshallton but is not limited to it. Have you checked properties in Elsmere?
Yes, 5 homes of interest there that I will be planning to check out.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 AM

I'm not sure you can get anything at your price point in Union Park Gardens, but it is an old townhouse area that is considered generally safe and has a lot of young first-time homeowners. You might check listings there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware